DVDVR Message Board

October 2023 Wrestling Discussion

Chris Hero’s comeback match is apparently going to be for West Coast Pro, vs Timothy Thatcher.

EDIT: On November 17th, in San Francisco

Edited by AxB
  • Like 5

At least his actual first name is Kofi.. meanwhile some fan who wasn't a fan during his Jamaican years is figuring out the reason why he's Kofi Kingston

Now if Jamaican Kofi had worn rastafarian colors and then switched to being from Ghana, he wouldn't have had to switch his gear up, well, aside from Ghana's flag being Red/Gold/Green and Rasta flags being Green/Gold/Red

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Haha 1

I know this will come as a huge shock, given my previously stated preferences for what I think best suits a wrestler in terms of appearance, but I was into Crush as a kid. Demolition Crush. Kona Crush. NOD Crush never made much sense to me, because even as a twelve year old I was vaguely aware of prison politics and didn't think there was any way Faarooq and Crush were actual friends. DOA Crush was dope. Then Brian Adams went to WCW and sucked 50 gallon trash bags of ass. THEN some genius had the idea to team him with fellow stringy haired stiff Bryan Clarke. I was SOLD. I think I was 16-17. For real, I think the only way I could've been more excited about that team is if they'd gotten to be in gimmick as Adam Bomb and Crush. I'd caught a brief glimpse of Clarke in Smoky Mountain on cable access in South Atlanta and I thought from day one he was a STAR. I still think it's stupid that they got in trouble for workrate related issues in WWE. When you look like those guys and have the aura those guys had, if you can physically walk to the ring, that's enough. They should've spent months obliterating low level WWE guys before getting thrown into a big program. But no one in WWE was willing to do anything to make WCW/ECW guys look good, especially physically limited veterans, so I kinda get it.

• Like 3

On 10/13/2023 at 5:10 PM, Infinit said:

Is there a wrestler that had as many different gimmicks under the same name as Crush?

Demolition Crush

Kona Crush

Heel Fuji managed Crush

Fresh from jail Crush

NOD Crush

DOA Crush

Are you me?  I've had this exact same thought many times.  Dude had six gimmicks under the same name, which is insane.

On 10/13/2023 at 5:36 PM, Cobra Commander said:

The tilt-a-whirl backbreaker was also cool looking.

Hitting the tilt-a-whirl in Wrestlefest was always a highlight.

• Like 2

Now if they wanted to actually feature Barry Darsow in 1998 for no logical reason, Darsow would be trying to get into the NWO through Adams since Darsow hasn’t done anything in years and he has old tag team ties to Adams

So who did their real job less between IRS and the Repo Man? Repo Man at least stole or repossessed some things. IRS didn’t make any tax cheat babyfaces work for him to repay their tax debts.

Willie Nelson just barely missed working with the WWF during IRS’s run. Willie was at WM7 and IRS started a month later. Just imagine if Willie was “forced to record” a theme song for IRS in 1991.

• Like 1

When I was 16 and had just been dumped by my first girlfriend, someone was nice enough to introduce me to a girl who was a big wrestling fan. And to give 16 year old me some credit, I was cordial enough to her and not a total gatekeeper elitist prick about the fact she was mainly a huge mark for The Rock rather than the grand traditions of professional wrestling, but I did give her an extended soliloquy on how excited I was that Kronik were coming to the WWF. I'd never even seen them in WCW, I was just a big fan of Crush and Adam Bomb and was very into the idea of them teaming up. She, politely, thanked me for the information but confirmed she could not share my enthusiasm, because they were a bit shit. It didn't totally scare her off as she invited me to go to a Mick Foley book signing soon after and we stayed on good terms, but nothing ultimately sparked between us and it's hard not to blame Kronik.

• Haha 9

For most of my life I was very hesitant on a tattoo on the chance that I would regret it later on in life.  But a couple years ago I finally decided if I get one it'll likely be the WWF Hasbro ring but maybe with the WWF logo not being part of it.  It's not that I'm anti WWF/WWE (far from it actually) but I figured a sweet-looking wrestling ring would account for my wrestling fandom in general.  My wife went to somebody around here that not only did great work on her arm but also can easily pull this off.  Maybe I'll finally get it for my birthday because why the hell not.

Oh, and Dom getting the Universal Monsters on his legs is some king-sized shit that makes me like him even more.  Loved that video.

• Like 2

Question, folks: This GIF of Sheamus backing away all shifty-eyed while in front of what is definitely a copy of a Rothko that's at the Tate Modern shows up everywhere. What is it from?

https://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/step-back.gif

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

For most of my life I was very hesitant on a tattoo on the chance that I would regret it later on in life.  But a couple years ago I finally decided if I get one it'll likely be the WWF Hasbro ring but maybe with the WWF logo not being part of it.  It's not that I'm anti WWF/WWE (far from it actually) but I figured a sweet-looking wrestling ring would account for my wrestling fandom in general.  My wife went to somebody around here that not only did great work on her arm but also can easily pull this off.  Maybe I'll finally get it for my birthday because why the hell not.

Oh, and Dom getting the Universal Monsters on his legs is some king-sized shit that makes me like him even more.  Loved that video.

Too many people get hung up on worry over regretting a tattoo or “omg I need to find something super meaningful!!”  Just find something that looks cool and go for it.  If you’re worried, get it someplace easy to cover with clothes.  So no Cody type stuff.  😂

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Discussion is fragmented in multiple threads across the board so maybe I missed it but is nobody talking about Ari Emanuel allegedly removing Vince from the creative process?  Seems like a pretty big deal.  I expected him to be a figurehead sooner than later but this is happening pretty quick

That's the story I've generally heard lately, that HHH has basically 99% of creative control.

It didn't feel like HHH gave up much creative power even when Vince came back. I just assume now he doesn't have to worry about Vince randomly wanting to change something on him that was already set in advance. Now he just has to worry about life doing that.

• Like 3

If the Roman Reigns endless championship run is a Triple H booking, is it fair to say that Reigns' reign is basically a redux of the Triple H reign of terror, if Triple H had been authentically charismatic?

5 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Discussion is fragmented in multiple threads across the board so maybe I missed it but is nobody talking about Ari Emanuel allegedly removing Vince from the creative process?  Seems like a pretty big deal.  I expected him to be a figurehead sooner than later but this is happening pretty quick

I feel like this is potentially a very big deal but we won't know for a bit. This is a very aggressive move from Ari/Endeavor right out of the gate and I wonder if it is a one-off or a sign of things to come. I know the old thought repeated often when AEW was starting up was that WWE was basically a sleeping giant with Vince in charge one that has managed to wake up a bit over the last year or so (oddly right when Vince was removed from stuff the first go around), if Endeavor is gonna be heavily involved they seem to generally run a smart shop so... I don't know, it feels like it could definitely end up being something.

• Like 1