DVDVR Message Board

WWE ROSTER PURGE - 9/21/23

ChesterCopperpot

Shelton and Dolph will be coaches/agents within a year, I'm guessing.

The only person on the list I think they missed the boat on is Mustafa Ali. That dude is so incredibly creative. I dug his Positive-Ali annoying character the past few months. He's also really good in-ring.

Elias also had his moments. Surprised he got cut but he's a little one-note. 

Also, let's all pour one out for Emma. She was Paige's main foil in NXT when they got serious about women's wrestling. That was a fun feud between the serious Paige and the goofball prodigy Emma. Evil Emma with Dana Brooke as her flunky was also a great character. They put over Asuka so great when Asuka came to NXT. Made Asuka look like a murderer. 

Also, I've said it so many times: Emma/Santino vs. Fandango/Summer Rae on some random NXT episode is one of the best matches I've ever seen. Top top top top tier NXT match. Emma flopped when she got called up and paired with Santino, but anyone who saw their NXT banger realized why they were paired together.

Rarely has a new coat of paint/fresh start been more in need than for Shelton Benjamin, Ali and Nick Nemeth. Feels like a hat trick of completely wasted and potentially fantastic pick-ups. Each of these guys are far more interesting additions, to my tastes, than drippy star Adam Copeland.

Not hoping for a Cedric Alexander firing, and yeh the Swole shit, but would love to see that team with Benjamin given a fair chance to get over. If not Cedric, there’s some great Elite talent meandering along that could be potential partners - both members of ‘Men of the Year’ come to mind.

• Like 4

I've always thought Ziggler was one of the better utility guys on the roster and figured he was a WWE lifer as long as they had green members of the roster that needed to look good. That said I don't have any desire to see him in AEW. They could do a lot worse than him as a coach or agent though.

Benjamin was another really under-utilized guy and The Hurt Business was the best thing that happened to he and Alexander. Disolving that was one of the dumbest moves creative had made. As much as I'd like Alexander to keep his job, I wouldn't mind the two of them showing up as a team in AEW. Alexander especially deserves a solid run. Given his former partner Caprice Coleman is still there in ROH I'd think he'd be an advocate.

Ali is a no brainer as a pickup in AEW. Guy is great in the ring and always seems like he never got a chance to really show what he's capable of or get a consistent push.

As far as the other names, I didn't even realize most of them were even still employed.

• Like 2

Considering AEW just released their own Chicago born main event superstar, it’s very generous of WWE to just give them a new one. Perhaps it will turn out to be a straight swap. I have seen people speculating that they’re clearing cap space for Punk’s huge wage demands. 

But I don’t think that’s it. I think it’s Vince flexing on Hunter. All of the guys Vince fired and H bought back are going… which if so, wouldn’t it be interesting if William Regal somehow ended up back in AEW?

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

Considering AEW just released their own Chicago born main event superstar, it’s very generous of WWE to just give them a new one. Perhaps it will turn out to be a straight swap. I have seen people speculating that they’re clearing cap space for Punk’s huge wage demands. 

But I don’t think that’s it. I think it’s Vince flexing on Hunter. All of the guys Vince fired and H bought back are going… which if so, wouldn’t it be interesting if William Regal somehow ended up back in AEW?

You're over-thinking it. Buying a company costs money. Endeavor wants some of that money back. The easiest way to do that is to go on a cost-cutting massacre via layoffs.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

Reading around, it sounds like Ali's contract simply expired and they didn't renew. So theoretically he could show up anywhere immediately.

That makes a lot more sense, I was thinking it was probably more of a Grizzled Young Veteran situation than an outright cut. Feel like he's going have a hell of a barnstormer and podcast appearance tour. Also wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the 'E in 2-3 years.

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

Reading around, it sounds like Ali's contract simply expired and they didn't renew. So theoretically he could show up anywhere immediately.

Having Ali in a No Mercy match with his contract coming up is certainly a decision. But who knows, maybe more of that card is about to go up in smoke today

14 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

You're over-thinking it. Buying a company costs money. Endeavor wants some of that money back. The easiest way to do that is to go on a cost-cutting massacre via layoffs.

Technically there wasn’t any sale, the two companies merged together. It would make sense for there to be redundancies in the offices but not amongst talent. This is something else. 

• Like 1

On the "what's next for them" front, Ali to AEW is such a big no brainer that I'd be stunned if it doesn't happen. They already run Chicago tons, and I'll die on the hill his upside is still a guy who could main event pay per views. He can talk, he can work. Easy pick.

Dolph probably does get the AEW call, as his brother already works there and he has a natural fit. I do question the upside of his role at this point though. Benjamin probably gets the call as well, and I always feel like I'm weirdly low on Shelton compared to others while still liking him. He's a good tag wrestler who I can't remember much in the way of a great singles match in well over a decade. I'd love to see him try running as a more traditional technical wrestler, but he had the opportunity the last time he was cut (which everyone seems to forget), when he had chances to be a top indy guy and simply didn't.

With Benjamin and Ali both getting their papers I'm legit surprised Cedric Alexander is still around. He's also in the "If he gets let go, AEW should be calling him within 10 minutes" club. Give me the the best days of 205 Live again on Collision please.

None of these releases feel all that surprising bar Ali due to timing with originally planned NA title match with Dom. Kind of surprised he didn't at least finish that out. Glad he is out since its what he has wanted for a while now. I assume AEW picks him up. Still I don't think he sees the easy success some are with AEW though I think he will be happier there.

Ziggler should have been released long ago. He hasn't really added anything for years and refuses to try to refresh his act in any meaningful way despite people caring about him less and less over time. I'd like to see him hit Japan.

Emma's run this time just felt aimless and the crowd took even less to her than before. Its a shame, but I didn;t realize her and Moss were a legit item. Good for those two. Speaking of Moss, I dug him, but it never felt like there was much they could do with him beyond that midcard spot.

Surprised Aliyah lasted as long as she did. I liked her, but she was never as good or consistent as she needed to be. Still I think she would do fine in Impact or AEW if she tried.

Top Dolla became fine as a lesser heel to beat up. Still not surprised he is gone. More surprised the rest of Hit Row aren't out with him.

Disappointed about Shelton. Loved the Hurt Business run which ended way the hell too soon and poorly. He deserved better, but it was obvious they had nothing for him this past year and no intentions of doing anything with him. Curious to see if he goes back to Japan, goes for AEW or even Impact. I can see him becoming a coach though I can also see that happening anywhere.

Elias always felt like a guy with a small ceiling despite how over he got at times. He was never on the level on even mid tier guys in WWE ring wise and was more fun as an occasional character. Can't help but think any momentum he had died when they had Elias disappear the first time and then got rid of the Ezekiel character as well.

Kind of dreading the NXT releases as the show has been pretty good the past year. Curious if this is it for the main roster.