DVDVR Message Board

The Termination of CM Punk by The Coward Tony Khan

Elsalvajeloco

11 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Talking about weird millennial shit: I think I'm a couple of years younger than you (35) and while I definitely feared serial killers as well (along with quicksand) you know what public enemy #1 was for me back then? AIDS. That Magic Johnson special on Nickelodeon fucked me up. Since it was a kids show they were obviously skirting around the whole "IV drugs and sex is how it's transmitted" thing, so I ended up thinking anytime I touched anyone/anything in public I had a decent shot at walking away with HIV.

That's pretty much how a lot of fear-mongering in the 80s regarding AIDS was as well.

https://ryanwhite.hrsa.gov/about/ryan-white

Fuck Ronald Reagan.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

I bought a copy of Radiohead’s Creep EP on 12 inch in 1992. I still have it. I think it might be worth more now than the 99p sticker implies.

Most recent sale on Discogs was $62.50, it's sold as high as $225 in the past with an average of $107.53.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I’m glad Punk isn’t lurking. He’d lunge at you guys violently for spending the last ten pages not talking about him. 

It's probably somewhat of a dead issue for a bit, but someday after all the dust settles, I'd love to hear a witness' account. After all, Dave said 'lunge' was being kind..

But, honestly, it's kinda cathartic to just bullshit about literally anything else after the last year of that guy's shit.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Coletti said:

I truly loathe the oversaturation of people using the term vinyl. I bought vinyl, I love collecting vinyl, I like listening to vinyl... How about calling it music? You love music, you like listening to music, etc... Just drives me nuts.

I'll take it as long as people don't talking about collecting "vinyls".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I am also attached to my physical media and have no intention to stop buying it.

I put together a plan to take down my CD shelves and box up my entire collection about a month ago.  Then went on vacation two days later and bought four CDs on the first day of the trip.  It's a problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, worldcupfever said:

EXACTLY. That is the problem. You don't use the plural, you use the singular in this circumstance; the singular IS the plural as well. That is what drives me crazy. 

FYI, if you want to know what music costs, whether it's wax, tape, or disc, Discogs is your answer. And if you wanna buy it, there it is for sure. I've gotten I want to say maybe as much as a quarter to half my stuff thanks to their arrival on the scene. Of course, it can be just as bad as eBay with people listing stuff for insane prices, whether for the money or just because they don't want anybody to buy it at all but have it listed in their collection on the site. 

CM Punk would be listed at $225, go as high as $500, and really be worth $25 used. 

• Like 2

I'm re-reading some of my favorite novels from undergrad because it's September, I just got married, and I'm a sucker for nostalgia. 

Just came across a very fitting epigraph for this whole Punk/AEW saga:

"A group of sportswriters together can narrow your view far beyond pessimism, since the worst of them tend to be cynics looking only for false drama in the germs if human defeat."

- Richard Ford, The Sportswriter

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I can't remember if it was iTunes or the Zune software (which I'll defend to the death, I LOVED my Zune) but one of them ended up having to create their own 'shuffle' algorithm because they found that a truly random shuffle lead to user complaints of hearing the same stuff too often - wonder if any of that is in play here

i believe that was iTunes- i remember hearing them talk about how a truly random shuffle could lead to the same song being played back-to-back, and they wanted to avoid that. Whether it was precautionary or because people complained, i do not remember. 

2 hours ago, Coletti said:

I truly loathe the oversaturation of people using the term vinyl. I bought vinyl, I love collecting vinyl, I like listening to vinyl... How about calling it music? You love music, you like listening to music, etc... Just drives me nuts.

1 hour ago, worldcupfever said:

sorry to both of you. i know it's wrong and try not to do it, but i am absolutely guilty of saying that. It is just SO COMMON that sometimes it sneaks through. But i also think it's something that's only going to get worse, like me yelling into the void about people using "should of" or "would of" instead of "should/would have". Or how they have LITERALLY changed the definition of "literally". Or even people abbreviating "et cetera" as "ect".

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I'm re-reading some of my favorite novels from undergrad because it's September, I just got married, and I'm a sucker for nostalgia. 

Just came across a very fitting epigraph for this whole Punk/AEW saga:

"A group of sportswriters together can narrow your view far beyond pessimism, since the worst of them tend to be cynics looking only for false drama in the germs if human defeat."

- Richard Ford, The Sportswriter

Well said and congrats!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i believe that was iTunes- i remember hearing them talk about how a truly random shuffle could lead to the same song being played back-to-back, and they wanted to avoid that. Whether it was precautionary or because people complained, i do not remember. 

sorry to both of you. i know it's wrong and try not to do it, but i am absolutely guilty of saying that. It is just SO COMMON that sometimes it sneaks through. But i also think it's something that's only going to get worse, like me yelling into the void about people using "should of" or "would of" instead of "should/would have". Or how they have LITERALLY changed the definition of "literally". Or even people abbreviating "et cetera" as "ect".

Gorilla Monsoon: Profile & Match Listing - Internet Wrestling Database (IWD)

@Craig H I've seen some pretty cool display units that for records that hang on the wall

@twiztor I have a decent collection and don't own a record player YET, maybe when I get my new place. Started buying a while ago mainly to grab limited variant of various semi underground band 

The main thing I like about Youtube/Spotify is that I can check out new music (I don't often use their playlists I get suggestions from other places). Or Old music that I never heard like if I'm Reading Black Sabbath in the 80's and 90's by Martin Popoff or Sellout or one of the Decibel Hall of Fame books and want to check out said album. Or if I find out Nick mason had a solo album back in the 70s I never new existed

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I can't remember if it was iTunes or the Zune software (which I'll defend to the death, I LOVED my Zune) but one of them ended up having to create their own 'shuffle' algorithm because they found that a truly random shuffle lead to user complaints of hearing the same stuff too often - wonder if any of that is in play here

I loved my Zune too! I bought two of them! To this day I still think it was one of the better pieces of music software and hardware devices for listening to music. It was also my entry into listening to podcasts and maybe the first thing actively pimping out podcasts. People love to shit on the Zune because of its name or because they foolishly tried to take on iTunes, but man, it was so rock solid. I liked it a whole hell of a lot more than the iPod I got in a trade for some Magic cards (I wish I had those cards back because they're probably worth a ton now) and I liked it a lot more than iTunes.

And all of this talk about wrestling, music, shit we did in our youth, etc. feels so cathartic after all of the craziness with Punk. It would have been amazing if Punk was everything he said he was on that first promo back instead of turning into a violent malcontent. He had so much to offer and bring to the table. It's disappointing.

You know what isn't disappointing though? This whole discussion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, zendragon said:

The main thing I like about Youtube/Spotify is that I can check out new music (I don't often use their playlists I get suggestions from other places). Or Old music that I never heard like if I'm Reading Black Sabbath in the 80's and 90's by Martin Popoff or Sellout or one of the Decibel Hall of Fame books and want to check out said album. Or if I find out Nick mason had a solo album back in the 70s I never new existed

YouTube has been great, I've found tracks I never thought I'd hear again like Nirvana's cover of Seasons in the Sun or Radiohead's metal version of Reckoner they only played once. I feel Spotify narrows your musical horizons by constantly feeding you songs that sound like the same songs you are already listening to, to the point that you stop even making choices and just rely on the algorithm. Plus it tries to only host official band channels and that means I can't always find some of those bands earlier releases if they were released on different labels from where they are now. I still use it when I'm on the go but I prefer to search for stuff on YT

I also deeply regret selling my CDs during the 2008 recession. I needed every buck I could get at the time but I lost some incredible stuff forever, local independent singles and stuff that will most likely never be uploaded

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ka-to said:

My copy is a 1989 reissue on Bitzcore label from Germany with compilation cuts added to the original.

Dammit, I wish I had that version. Those aren't even on my copy of the Get Drunk and Fuck/Ian Mackaye comp that I got recently.

Note to those unfamiliar with Poison Idea: that album cover is them being disingenuous because the collection pictured is in fact the late guitarist's (RIP thee Pig Champion). I love that it's full of rarities and even a double of Manson's LIE record. To look at that as a punk aficionado is to just start drooling; the whole pile is worth beaucoup bucks today. Shit... Tom probably kept it all, I wonder who owns it now?

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

I have a decent collection and don't own a record player YET, maybe when I get my new place. Started buying a while ago mainly to grab limited variant of various semi underground band 

*silent scream*

My favorite CDs ended up loose on a couple of spindles for CDRs and are probably all pretty beat up, but I've got cases for everything and a lot of stuff still in cases stored away. If I really hit a money crunch I could start (laboriously) going through all of those and putting them on Discogs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I loved my Zune too! I bought two of them! To this day I still think it was one of the better pieces of music software and hardware devices for listening to music. It was also my entry into listening to podcasts and maybe the first thing actively pimping out podcasts. People love to shit on the Zune because of its name or because they foolishly tried to take on iTunes, but man, it was so rock solid. I liked it a whole hell of a lot more than the iPod I got in a trade for some Magic cards (I wish I had those cards back because they're probably worth a ton now) and I liked it a lot more than iTunes.

I've always had a dislike of Apple products and my first MP3 player was a 64GB Creative Zen nomad that was similar in size to an Ipod with the same capacity but had a few other features and supported just about every audio format there was. Winamp (It really whipped the llama's ass!) was always my media player of choice so I never cared about the additional features if itunes and whatnot so the Zen's software to just drag and drop stuff was fine with me. It eventually gave me the click of death so I replaced it with a Zune, and it was just as good. I just used the Zune's software to transfer and organize files so I didn't care about the additional features and it was really simple to use. It had great battery life, could play all sorts of movie and video formats, and was a great little device overall. I remember I'd keep a season of The Venture Bros. on there along with my music if I got bored. Eventually I was able to put an even larger micro SD card in my phone and that pretty much replaced the need for a separate device.

• Like 1

When iPods where the hotness I’ve went with a Creative Zen also it had a huge amount of storage too (for the time) I think it’s 100 or 200 GB I was able to fit so much stuff on it and the interface was so much easier to navigate than with the iPod wheel thing. I still have it around here somewhere all loaded up with a a shot load of music (and a  Regal shoot interview which was always jarring to come up when shuffling but damn it’s entertaining)

I never had an ipod or anything like it. I did download music onto my computer and ended up with viruses and whatnot back in the early 2000s. I just always preferred having the physical copies with the artwork and liner notes. 

I have SiriusXM, but I miss having a cd player in my car.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Sirius suuuuuucks (though I think we've gone over this elsewhere)

I really only listen to Liquid Metal and Lithium. I used to listen to Faction Talk when The Jason Ellis Show was on there. I like Faction Punk, but that's only available on the app, not on the radio.