DVDVR Message Board

September 2023 Wrestling Discussion

It's also what nearly every footballer says when they get a transfer to a new team. They don't generally intend for fans of their old employers to take it as a personal affront, they're just expressing enthusiasm for their new one. Leave Jade alone, TwitterX bastards (I'm assuming), if you don't cut the shit she'll throw you in the sea.

I dunno, guys. As someone who started a new job a few months back, the first thing I told management was to get their shit together cause my previous employer was much better.

It endeared me to a lot of people to say the least.

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

13 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I dunno, guys. As someone who started a new job a few months back, the first thing I told management was to get their shit together cause my previous employer was much better.

It endeared me to a lot of people to say the least.

I know that when I said "hey, I really like this coffee machine!" at my new job, it was basically like telling my old team leader to take a flying leap.

• Haha 7

Everyone is acting like all Jade did was put over WWE.  But she did say something to the effect of how everything she's done so far has been "preparation for the grand stage," which I feel is kind of shitty.  I understand working and I understand putting over your new company, but a statement like that definitely comes off as putting AEW down, like AEW's purpose for her was just getting her ready for the real wrestling company, the ultimate goal.  And honestly, if that's how she really feels about it, then cool.  But it is a little insulting.  There's definitely a difference between "this is a great company and I'm looking forward to becoming an even bigger star" vs "everything I've done has just been to get ready for this."  Edge isn't showing up on AEW and saying none of his accomplishments in WWE since 97 or whenever mean anything compared to fighting for the TNT title.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Everyone is acting like all Jade did was put over WWE.  But she did say something to the effect of how everything she's done so far has been "preparation for the grand stage," which I feel is kind of shitty.  I understand working and I understand putting over your new company, but a statement like that definitely comes off as putting AEW down, like AEW's purpose for her was just getting her ready for the real wrestling company, the ultimate goal.  And honestly, if that's how she really feels about it, then cool.  But it is a little insulting.  There's definitely a difference between "this is a great company and I'm looking forward to becoming an even bigger star" vs "everything I've done has just been to get ready for this."  Edge isn't showing up on AEW and saying none of his accomplishments in WWE since 97 or whenever mean anything compared to fighting for the TNT title.

Yeah, we're going to have to disagree here. 

First off, I haven't been more than a casual fan of WWE in over ten years. I can still say that if WWE ain't the grandest stage of them of all, what is? For a Jade Cargill, that's her opinion. We cannot compare her to a Jay Reso or Bryan Danielson or an Adam Copeland or Phil Brooks. Her opinions and actions are exclusively hers, and she is certainly entitled to feel that way knowing especially they are about strap a rocket to her. I mean she was a (if not the) top trending topic on Twitter for a good five or six hours at least. That's amazing considering most signings in wrestling barely register anything on Twitter. 

There have been baseball teams that have won more championships in the last 10 or 15 years than the New York Yankees. Guess what? They still ain't the Yankees. Once someone goes there, the lore and legacy of the franchise is the FIRST thing they talk about.

• Like 2

I am pretty pro AEW and down on WWE a lot of the time. And even I find this to be over analyzing of nothing. She put over her new employer with enthusiasm. That's not a knock on AEW. It's just ass kissing. It's working the office. She didn't say fuck AEW and their one women's match a show rule. She didn't say I'm so happy to be done training with Dustin & Danielson so I can learn from the real greats like Miz & Omos. Reading too much into nothing here.

Jades going to do really well in WWE. They lean on character & story whereas AEW leans on match quality and wrestling as art. Story & character is where she excels and she is going to be a big star make a lot of money.

• Like 3

There's some real troubling "HOW DARE SHE NOT SCREAM HOW GREAT JACKSONVILLE WAS!" energy from a couple people here.  Get the fuck over yourselves.  Ya'll didn't get this bent when Cody worked the office the RAW after Mania and he was one of the people that fucking made AEW.

Can't quite put my finger on what the difference is... 🤔

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Raziel said:

There's some real troubling "HOW DARE SHE NOT SCREAM HOW GREAT JACKSONVILLE WAS!" energy from a couple people here.  Get the fuck over yourselves.  Ya'll didn't get this bent when Cody worked the office the RAW after Mania and he was one of the people that fucking made AEW.

Can't quite put my finger on what the difference is... 🤔

I hope you don’t mean me, because what I said was far from what you’re saying.  Only a few people are talking about Jade being down on AEW and they’re being treated like blind stans.  I just pointed out that she did say one thing that was kinda shitty in a way, but if she truly feels AEW was her training wheels for the main stage, cool.

For the record, me, I disliked Cody far more than Jade and your implication is really lame.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

Looking through 1983 TV listings for mentions of wrestling really tells me that WOR sure was on cable systems all over the country. It might say a little bit about the difference between WWF and GCW TV that the WWF having their weekly shows on a superstation is sort of an afterthought. But by the time I was paying attention, TBS and WGN were pretty much the only Superstations around, at least in my area.

When she referred to WWE as the "Grandest Stage" I think more in terms of the Events like Wrestlemania. AEW doesn't have their Wrestlemania or SuperBowl Event were the have that one destination Event that's the be all end all. In some ways there is some advantages to that for a newer promotion but she's already been fantasy booking her Wrestlemania opponent. Guys like Edge and Bryan already main evented Wrestlemania and they've been in the ring with most the top guys in WWE. Jade coming in now reminds me of when Mystico and Amazing Kong got signed at the beginning of Hunter hiring people. I think them acknowledging her as the first hire of the TKO era puts pressure on them to do something with her but it's up to her to produce. Just like when Cody left, everyone wants to make it seem like something deeper that what it is behind the move. It's sort of irritating that people try to make more out her words than it is

I think there is also a simple truth here: the ceiling for a woman wrestler is much higher in WWE than it is in AEW, pretending otherwise is just silly and doesn't really benefit anyone. I guess one could argue she should have danced around it a bit more but... even if most here are wrong and she was actually taking a shot it's a shot they would have earned.

19 hours ago, Raziel said:

There's some real troubling "HOW DARE SHE NOT SCREAM HOW GREAT JACKSONVILLE WAS!" energy from a couple people here. 

From whom? I didn't say that and it is not how I feel.

On 9/27/2023 at 3:33 PM, (BP) said:

Danielson published an honest-to-goodness love letter to Vincie and then cut a promo saying WWE wasn’t really wrestling  on his first night with AEW. 

He was saying that while he was in WWE. Was it he that said WWE is a Parody of Pro Wrestling ?