DVDVR Message Board

September 2023 Wrestling Discussion

I only have issues remembering with the older folks who I already in my mind have killed off. Someone like Lance Cade? Yeah, I already know.

Keep track of folks like Gran Naniwa (who like Test, also died at 33) or Bobby Duncum Jr. who faded away or weren't as popular in their heyday or never really wrestled for WWF/E are a bit tougher.

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Telling Bill Simmons that 2009 was only a couple of years ago is probably good for Bill’s ego since Bill Simmons hasn’t been good in the 2000s

Daaaaaaamn. Cooooooold blooooooded.

I think the only time I ever actually followed Bill Simmons is maybe eighteen months before Grantland started. That was mainly because of the football picks with Cousin Sal and maybe a few times he would have Carolla on. Other than that, I was never one of these people who swear by Bill Simmons and his immense wealth of knowledge and his...um..pop culture savviness. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think the only time I ever actually followed Bill Simmons is maybe eighteen months before Grantland started. That was mainly because of the football picks with Cousin Sal and maybe a few times he would have Carolla on. Other than that, I was never one of these people who swear by Bill Simmons and his immense wealth of knowledge and his...um..pop culture savviness. 

He always read to me like a sentient can of Axe body spray that was really into that show Entourage.

• Haha 4

Arquette gave to another family (or maybe two) who had a wrestler recently pass as well IIRC. Good on him. 

Didn't Holliday find a job with AEW or something? Or were we just spitballing that he and Hammerstone should join MJeff there? And I thought Hammerstone signed a big contract with Court? My head hurts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I liked him back in the Page 2 days of early ESPN.com (black text on a yellow background, this wasn't the only place trying to burn out your retinas back then). His articles were good, but even back then his only references being Entourage, Boogie Nights, Rocky, and Rounders was annoying as hell. Loved Grantland, but had stopped reading him by then.

• Like 3

I saw Bill Simmons on TV once. He said Matthias Kiwanuka's name, and then celebrated like pronouncing words that are spelt phonetically is a difficult achievement.

Pretty racist, really.

Anyway:

Endeavor's WWE, UFC Deal Closes to Form TKO Group, Stock Launches - Variety

GREEN?

I have always suspected that Vince's favourite band of all time was actually Poison.

Edited by AxB
Added a picture innit?

Good lord. Hair Dye and Sleaze Mustache Vince is almost too much. It's like a human Pepe Le Pew. 

EDIT: Did he do that just for this photo because he wanted to go "undercover" in public? Like he thinks nobody's gonna know he's in the photo until he points it out and they pop for it?

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The one talent that Simmons has is hiring really good writers. I mean, he put Phil Schneider on his payroll! He's a good curator, but I could do without his actual insight/opinions.

Edited by Log
  • Like 2

Phil writing there notwithstanding, the fact that Bill's wrestling go to person is/was Shoemaker, one of the worst talking heads about the business, ruins a lot of credibility with other of his decisions. Being in the bag for Malcolm Gladwell doesn't help either. 

• Like 1

I really only read his NBA stuff, but it became pretty clear towards the end of the Grantland period that he was no longer really watching basketball.  He'd always had some wack opinions, but you could at least tell that they were informed by watching a bunch of games.  Once he got rich and moved to LA he was just repeating normal pundit shit.

45 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Phil writing there notwithstanding, the fact that Bill's wrestling go to person is/was Shoemaker, one of the worst talking heads about the business, ruins a lot of credibility with other of his decisions. Being in the bag for Malcolm Gladwell doesn't help either. 

Yeah, I think I made it like two minutes into hearing Shoemaker talk about wrestling and gave up. There's some other writer at The Ringer they have doing wrestling stuff, and he was on some podcast I was listening to. When introducing him, the host threw out the question of what his dream wrestling match would be. Anyone, from any era, matching up. He said Shawn Michaels vs. AJ Styles and I was like Spongebob in the meme, I'm out.

Other than Schneider, obviously, it seems most of their wrestling people have watched WWE, and only WWE, and have no frame of reference for any other type of wrestling.

20 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I only have issues remembering with the older folks who I already in my mind have killed off. Someone like Lance Cade? Yeah, I already know.

Keep track of folks like Gran Naniwa (who like Test, also died at 33) or Bobby Duncum Jr. who faded away or weren't as popular in their heyday or never really wrestled for WWF/E are a bit tougher.

The hardest to me are people you would expect to be dead because of the ... demographic they belong to. I mean how many 80ies fat guys besides One Man Gang and how many 80ies roid freaks besides the Warlord are still alive? So my brain always wants to put them into the much larger group of dead guys fitting those descriptions.