DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/16 - 8/22/2023

Dolfan in NYC

12 minutes ago, The Natural said:

ll be ordering All In (even though I'll be pissed when the Young Bucks beat FTR) mainly because I get to see an AEW show live for the first time ever at a great time, prime time rather than the usual stupid o'clock:

I've done the whole NJPW-at-an-absurd-hour thing, so I can certainly relate. If you can't be in the house for it, that's certainly a damn fine consolation prize. I'm on the US east coast, so even though I usually haaaaate Sunday PPVs, we're treating it like an NFL Sunday with the noon start and getting omelettes and beer beforehand

• Thanks 1

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I've done the whole NJPW-at-an-absurd-hour thing, so I can certainly relate. If you can't be in the house for it, that's certainly a damn fine consolation prize. I'm on the US east coast, so even though I usually haaaaate Sunday PPVs, we're treating it like an NFL Sunday with the noon start and getting omelettes and beer beforehand

Thank you for relating. NJPW shows tend to be around 7am in the morning which is preferable to WWE/AEW/UFC. I hate Sunday PPVs too. Least if it's a Saturday, you've got Sunday to catch sleep on.

Here's WWE and UFC PPV UK time:

RAW: Tuesday morning 1am-4am.

NXT: Wednesday morning 1am-3am.

Smackdown: Saturday morning 1am-3am.

WWE PPV: Sunday morning 1am-4am.

UFC PPV: Sunday morning 3am-6am.

WWE PPV: Monday morning 1am-4am.

• Sad 1

Because of the framing of the shot on Ospreay’s run-in, the Hidden Blade was actually hidden!

It’s funny, when you look at All In 2018, the set had this giant Bullet Club logo on it, and loads of small Bullet club logos all over everywhere, and barely any Elite logos at all. But it’s taken them 5 years to get to the Bullet Club vs Elite feud they were teasing then, and it’s not even the same Bullet Club.

17 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I work weekend night shift, so I’ll be getting off work Sunday morning at 5:30am. I have Sunday off that week and the next for both shows, but it’s still going to suuuuuck only getting like 5 hours of sleep. And then Starfield early access starts the week of All Out… 

My poor, poor wallet.

• Sad 1

Today in shit that peeves me to no end: The Cole/MJF and Bucks/FTR segments ending the exact same way.  It didn't even function as a parallel or a callback, just lazy writing.

JR pulling a "Damn, that's crazy.  Welp, see ya!" and walking away during the Omega beatdown was a great moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Yo, the fuck was up with JR in that interview. Motherfucker looked like he had a thousand yard stare during the beatdown

This little fucker callin' himself The Hangman.  Sheeeit.  He couldn't even wear the bah gawd Cowboy's white robe, much less lace his boots!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

May be an image of 2 people

Lord yes. Give me Joker Sting over Crow Sting making stern faces at the heels like a high school dance chaperone enforcing the 18 inches rule. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I hated this show. Hated it.

Cassidy-Yuta was fine. You knew full well where it was going. 

Omega's interview was pretty silly, and then he gets attacked by two guys who have absolutely nothing to do with him in AEW, just so they can shoehorn in a nonsensical multi-man match. This smacks of when WWE comes up on Survivor Series and teams would randomly attack other guys so they could put them in a multi-man match with no real backstory. 

Jericho-Callis was just long and stupid. So Jericho agrees to join Callis because he's a mastermind, but said mastermind already had a photo set up because he didn't think he would join? Then why go out there? To set Jericho up to get beat up by Ospreay...you could have saved us many weeks of shitty segments if he had just beat him up to begin with?! Plus, Callis was just going to walk away with Jericho after all? So did he want him to join the group or not?! Was he trying to trick Jericho into thinking he wanted him in the group so he could be blindsided by Ospreay? Or did he actually want him in the group and was just going to text Ospreay "nm" after Jericho joined the group? And then Jericho berates Callis for being an idiot and a scumbag for like two minutes...two minutes after agreeing to join up with him? Is this supposed to make me want to cheer Jericho? Because he is ostensibly the face in this match, right? So, you're telling me the guy who formed  group to worship him, betrayed said group, then agrees to join the most hated man in the company (No, not Punk), then turns around and berates him..that's the guy I'm supposed to cheer for? This is the worst, most poorly-executed AEW storyline in a long time. Just bafflingly, stupendously bad storytelling that makes everyone involved look incredibly stupid.

Darby/Allin-GOA was fine. Darby's stuff is always almost great. Sting's kidnapping of Nana was fine. Did Sting genuinely forget the date of the show or was that scripted? That was weird. 

Speaking of bad, who did Roderick Strong tick off to get where he is today? I wonder if he would have stayed on as Diamond Mine's overbearing boss rather than be turned into the whiny, neck-brace-wearing cast-aside who INJURES his foot kicking the tire of the ferrari his best friend was driving. MJF's promo was okay but this whole thing mostly sucked, too.

The Texas Chainsaw match was one of the worst things I've seen. Probably the worst AEW match, maybe ever. It's like when WWE does those Christmas or Halloween hardcore matches where people meander along and get hit with wrapped cardboard boxes, except those usually have one great spot like someone being thrown into a Christmas Tree or something. This just had guys standing aroudn, meandering waiting to get hit and an ending that made Robocop's apperance look good. (So Jarrett says he has an in with Leatherface is really stupid, and Leatherface coming out is really stupid, and chasing off Karen Jarrett is really stupid but in the stupidest part of all, somehow this distracts everyone except Jarrett who wins the match!). I wish I had two more hands, so I could give this four thumbs down.

Baker-Bunny was okay. I think Bunny and her entourage would have freshened up the 4-way way more than Baker but AEW is going to shoehorn their top guys and gals on that UK show whether it works or not. Excalibur trying to get Baker over as a dentist when it failed once is really funny. Remember when she was first pushed as the face/ace of the women's division and JR would blather on endlessly about Baker's dentist credentials as if everyone is going "Man, I love dentists! She's kind of a mediocre wrestler, but her being a dentist changes my mind entirely!" Also, AEW taking Rebel away from Britt because she's a face is the kind of bad booking WWE is known for (Like Smilin' Brock Lesnar). I notice I'm mentioning WWE a lot here and that's cuz this was like a bad Raw. Like a bad, Anonymous GM-era Raw(And I kind of liked the Anonymous GM for a while!).

Bucks-Gunns was whatever. The Gunns are much more interesting than most of the teams above them. AEW almost needs US Tag Team Titles, really. FTR helping the Bucks overcome the odds is a plot point I feel AEW have done a hundred times. WWE likes to put their main eventers on the same team and win the tag titles and fight over it. AEW likes to have tag teams who are feuding help each other out because of "RESPECT". 

Man, do I miss Collision (I am no paying TSN extra money to watch it though)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Yeah, I tried to run through the logic of the Callis/Jericho thing in my head. Came to the same conclusion as you. It somehow made both Jericho and Callis look dumb.

Like, maybe if that decapitation painting was a second painting behind another one with them as friends, it would've made a little more sense. Like Callis had planned for Jericho saying yes or no?

Really, the painting just needs to go. Jericho says thanks, but no, then Callis gets pissed and Jericho gets beat down. But why is Osprey there?

Jericho tells Callis no last week. Callis gets pissed at him and slapped around by Jericho. This week, Callis has Osprey (who owes him a favor from the Omega match) beat down Jericho, then All In match is made.

I don't know. I'm literally thinking this out in real time as I type.

• Like 2

All I know is is I better get a kang-ga-fuckin-rooooo kick at Wembley.

Forgive me Mr. Just Drew, sir.  I love Adam Cole (and his good friend MJF).  The two recovering assholes.  The double finger point.  I didn’t even know I could love a double clothesline.  This is a thing I look forward to in 2023.  I too am a recovering asshole.  I am also weak and unthreatening.  

And here is an emoji I’ll share with all of you to spread some cheerful spirits!

😊👍

OC continues to be a really good time all the time.  It will be amusing to see Mox fuck his ass up.  

Felt good to hang with STING for a minute.  

Neck braces = Hilarious.  If you’re going to borrow from somebody.  Borrow from Bobby Heenan. 

I watched Hellraiser the other day so Jeff Hardy peeling off a face was some personal continuity.

So is Brother Zays gimmick is he is just nutting all the time?  That’s a good gimmick to have.

I also am very much convinced that Swerve is championship top of the card ready.  

Karen Jarrett is lovely.  We share names people will no longer call their children from this point forward.  One day all the Karens and Brandons will be gone and you will all be glad.  

Did Excalibur say that Bunny and Penelope’s tag team name is “The Final Girls”?  That’s a really good name.  Britt kinda biffed Ford after that face lick.  Eww.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

My one big regret is that JR didn’t announce Jarrett vs Hardy

You would either get grumpy old JR mocking it as it went along or game JR trying to explain it as it went along and failing. Either option would have been amazing. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Wonder if TK has heard what people think about his Canadian TV partner jacking them around with his new A-show.

Them showing all the Canadian=based shows then pulling it after they got back to the States irked me even more than if they had just said "We don't have the airtime" and never shown it at all.

7 minutes ago, caley said:

Them showing all the Canadian=based shows then pulling it after they got back to the States irked me even more than if they had just said "We don't have the airtime" and never shown it at all.

Well hold on now. Us entitled rasslin fans need to appreciate that they only have five linear channels and people are dying to see the Roughriders or whoever the fuck on all of them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Well hold on now. Us entitled rasslin fans need to appreciate that they only have five linear channels and people are dying to see the Roughriders or whoever the fuck on all of them. 

This drives me bananas. Why are there 5 or so different channels that 80-90% of the time all show the same thing!?

The worst though, as a non-baseball guy, is when the Blue Jays are in the playoffs and it's on all but one channel, and you make the specific choice to watch that one non-Jays channel and then they cut in with Blue Jays highlights like "Hey maybe you didn't NOTICE are other four channels but the Blue Jays are playing!" ( I'm sure they do this with the Leafs too  but I am a hockey guy so I've never noticed!)  

44 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Which one, the Roughriders or the Rough Riders? 

(I just realized the CFL talk here will not be the same minus our beloved leader.) 

There's only one Roughriders now! 

But definitely agreed on the latter!

• Like 1

Is anyone watching ROH in realtime tonight? When does it come on anyway (I'm in Central time)? I am somehow paying for this shit (I think) and have never watched it.

EDIT: Well, it's already on. I'll check some out.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, caley said:

This drives me bananas. Why are there 5 or so different channels that 80-90% of the time all show the same thing!?

The worst though, as a non-baseball guy, is when the Blue Jays are in the playoffs and it's on all but one channel, and you make the specific choice to watch that one non-Jays channel and then they cut in with Blue Jays highlights like "Hey maybe you didn't NOTICE are other four channels but the Blue Jays are playing!" ( I'm sure they do this with the Leafs too  but I am a hockey guy so I've never noticed!)  

Don’t worry, the Jays won’t be on the playoffs for long. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Which one, the Roughriders or the Rough Riders? 

(I just realized the CFL talk here will not be the same minus our beloved leader.) 

Who the hell are the Elks? I saw that they are playing the Ti-Cats tonight.

May be an image of 5 people, toy and text

Using the lipstick mask is kind of a surprise of a choice. Really I didn't think they'd keep any kind of continuity and either have the butcher mask with the suit or the butcher mask and digs together. The tie being identical is the cherry on top. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 4