DVDVR Message Board

August 2023 Wrestling Discussion

8 minutes ago, Log said:

That guy behind Blassie is 23. That's just what 23-year-olds looked like back then.

I believe that's Dutch Savage. If his age is correct and that picture is like circa 1972, he would be a year or so younger than Matt Jackson is today.

• Haha 1

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

I believe that's Dutch Savage. If his age is correct and that picture is like circa 1972, he would be a year or so younger than Matt Jackson is today.

I'm two years older than Harley Race was when he debuted in the WWF. I'm no spring chicken, but I'd say I could pass for 1986 Harley's grandson.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Were these people born with a flask full of Old Crow and a pack of unfiltered Lucky Strikes coming out of the womb? 

I remember when they did the side-by-side of George Blanda and Tom Brady at 43 on SNF. It trended the whole game as if George Blanda didn't grow around the Pennsylvania coal mines during the Depression while Tom Brady grew up upper middle class in California.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

the Depression

Yeah, see, this is the common theme here. These old timers were probably working before they were teenagers in factories just to support their families. Anything like those kinds of circumstances is gonna preternaturally age you. And I joke about the liquor and smokes, but they were both way more common to abuse heavily for people way younger back then. 

• Like 1

Even though you still have a large swath of the country besieged by obesity and poor nutrition from processed foods and food deserts, the average young person is more likely to be health nut or at least knows more about dieting. The average athletic person also is likely to avoid a lot of those bad habits. Moreover, you have to account for hereditary traits. So if the offspring looked 55 when they were 35, imagine what the damn parents looked like at the same age.

• Like 3

You absolutely cannot overestimate the impact of reduction of indoor smoking, and general overall reduction in smoking, in people looking a little younger these days. We also have a much healthier relationship with sunscreen and sun protection.

• Like 11

You can't discount the generic lottery, either. My best friend's mom played tennis, jogged or walked every day, nothing more than a glass of wine at Christmas, and just randomly died of a suspected heart attack out of total left field. Then you have people like my family: doctors told one of my great uncles to stop drinking/smoking in 1970, and he kept on doing both until he died a couple years ago in his late 80s, while bragging that it was the first time he'd been under 300 lbs since high school. Weird shit.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

The Narcissist Lex Luger should have had a dude carrying a large mirror with him like Morris Day did, that would have been more interesting than the giant mirrors that they would put in the ring.

Shit, it would also be less of a bitch to set up and take down. God bless certain WWF production touches, but some of it was impractical.

The best is later that year, for his first two or three WWF televised matches, they had Jeff Jarrett do the Fargo strut the ENTIRE way to the ring. It's so ridiculous and you can tell that's just entirely uncomfortable for him to do. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

The Narcissist Lex Luger should have had a dude carrying a large mirror with him like Morris Day did, that would have been more interesting than the giant mirrors that they would put in the ring.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I remember being so confused by this angle as #1. I had no idea Gary Spivey was a real person (Well as real as a TV psychic can be!). #2. Why he seemed to have a tennis ball on his head and #3. How this whole thing was going to tie into Danny Spivey (whom I had only seen once or twice and thought was amazing) because they wouldn't introduce a character with the same unusual last name as a wrestler and not draw attention to it.

Also, a quick Google finds he is still alive, still working as a psychic and his "hair" has gotten even more ridiculous
https://garyspivey.com/about/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, caley said:

I remember being so confused by this angle as #1. I had no idea Gary Spivey was a real person (Well as real as a TV psychic can be!). #2. Why he seemed to have a tennis ball on his head and #3. How this whole thing was going to tie into Danny Spivey (whom I had only seen once or twice and thought was amazing) because they wouldn't introduce a character with the same unusual last name as a wrestler and not draw attention to it.

Also, a quick Google finds he is still alive, still working as a psychic and his "hair" has gotten even more ridiculous
https://garyspivey.com/about/

i had the exact same thought process as you. and yeah, i had to see so i clicked the link. you could not be more correct. wtf.