DVDVR Message Board

THE STRIKE

JLSigman

19 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Maher’s been doing out of pocket “I support my writers but…” rants about the strike on his podcast for a while. Genuinely surprised he backed down. His lengthy tweets about Barbie and the GOP debate scream of psychic trauma of someone who misses his show. 

For what it's worth -- and it's Maher, so "not much" -- he said he is backing down because negotiations are restarting.  If they break down again, who knows.  

Definitely seems like we're not gonna get anything for months at this point. 

• Like 1

Per Variety - A24 has received a waiver so that the cast of The Iron Claw can promote the movie so expect to see Zac Efron and Jeremy Allen White all over the place talking about the Von Erichs

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Per Variety - A24 has received a waiver so that the cast of The Iron Claw can promote the movie so expect to see Zac Efron and Jeremy Allen White all over the place talking about the Von Erichs

You’d think they would end up on TK’s TV, since MLF is in it.

• RIPPA locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic
14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Since the strike is officially over - closing this up.

Feel free to disburse to the appropriate thread (and the Hollywood Business thread can be used for any strike fallout)

Actors are still on strike, so... 

• Haha 9

You'd think that with WGA getting most of what they wanted that there's no reason for SAG to not get the same and get the industry moving again, but greedy motherfuckers are going to be greedy and all that.

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You'd think that with WGA getting most of what they wanted that there's no reason for SAG to not get the same and get the industry moving again, but greedy motherfuckers are going to be greedy and all that.

I assume you are talking about the producers. . . 

• 2 weeks later...

Back to this...The actors aren't coming back any time soon. 

1) SAG is asking for a 2% cut of all streaming revenues for SAG-products.  The producers have totally balked at that request.

2) The Producers think AI is still very much on the table:

The producers argument is "Paul Walker figured out how to drive 100 mph in Santa Clarita". 

So what's the over/under on studios starting to produce stuff non-union, likely in "right to work" states in the South and foreign countries? Have they been already doing that? I guess the issue is outing yourself as a scab for the world to see. That would include non-SAG, non-US actors as well. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

That looks terrible, but so is the take about this being a "scheme to phase out minority background actor opportunities." Especially when it comes to Disney who is constantly under fire by conservative commentators(and governors) for their diverse casting practices.

I mean look at that clip again. They cast an Asian basketball player for that scene. They clearly don't care about logic or even physics when casting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1