DVDVR Message Board

THE STRIKE

JLSigman

Tailgating in movie theater parking lots will be amusing. As I've said elsewhere there is a Buffalo Wild Wings right next to ours so we got a head start! 

EDIT: Shit... we also have a Schnucks (grocery store), a Thornton's (gas station), a Friar Tuck's (ginormous liquor mart), a Burger King, a KFC, and a Dairy Queen IN THE SAME BLOCK. That's like the perfect storm; they have all the supplies they need right at hand. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Abigail Thorn (does Philosophy Tube on YouTube, is also an actor) said that a lot of time, the initial offer for videogame voice acting work is below minimum wage, and you have to negotiate them up to the absolute lowest they can legally pay you.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Abigail Thorn (does Philosophy Tube on YouTube, is also an actor) said that a lot of time, the initial offer for videogame voice acting work is below minimum wage, and you have to negotiate them up to the absolute lowest they can legally pay you.

Does it say something about me that seemingly every industry I find compelling is a soul crushing shitshow?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I think it's the reverse of the old adage about assholes. Sometimes if you see one everywhere you go, they might just be one. 

For a second, I thought I was reading one of the aew threads about Phil. 🙂

Edited by odessasteps
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Bill Maher will be doing his show without writers.

I’m sure this absolutely blindsided them.  /s 

You mean Maher wasn't already writing his anger merchanting himself?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I haven't really looked into the differences, but why is everyone so mad at Barrymore, Maher (well, other than the million other reasons), etc. when Conan O'Brien started his show up during the '07 strike and was generally praised for getting his crew a payday?

Conan was, iirc, basically forced to restart because of his non-writing staff being threatened with immediate termination.  He (and Leno) both restarted with permission.   

Maher at first publicly supported the strike, then started production again.  Drew Barrymore's grandmother actually founded the SAG. They both apparently restarted because of boredom and/or money. Neither sought, nor were given permission by the union. 

• Like 3

Maher’s been doing out of pocket “I support my writers but…” rants about the strike on his podcast for a while. Genuinely surprised he backed down. His lengthy tweets about Barbie and the GOP debate scream of psychic trauma of someone who misses his show. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati