DVDVR Message Board

THE STRIKE

JLSigman

9 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

SAG-AFTRA is about to join the Writer's Guild on the strike lines

Now we know why the studios leaked the "We'll hold out until they all lose their homes" call yesterday.

It's about to get ugly, folks.

Previous strikes were more about sharing the revenue from new delivery modalities that weren’t in old contracts: Home Video, DVDs, Streaming. This is about a new development tool, in AI, which would hypothetically take work from writers and actors. It has current limitations certainly but the incentives on both sides are wildly different. It’s not about sharing revenue. One could imagine the studios eat a year of no production if it meant having the means to have low cost replacements for the strikers for the rest of time. Even the possibility of that (if the technology never actually comes together).

• Like 1

Note -- 

The impending SAG-AFTRA strike means the Emmy's (currently schedule for early September) will probably be postponed or cancelled outright. 

As part of the strike, in addition to no longer working, union members may not do any press or campaigning.  

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

If this goes into 2024, do we get a new thread? 

First, you'll have to convince me that Skyline Chili isn't inedible garbage and we'll talk. 

Anywho...  I'm guessing this is the straw that broke the camel's back:

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Due to the UK’s union laws, House of the Dragon is continuing to film. The way I understand it is that - legally - Equity can’t call for a strike to support SAG-AFTRA.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Due to the UK’s union laws, House of the Dragon is continuing to film. The way I understand it is that - legally - Equity can’t call for a strike to support SAG-AFTRA.

Apparently - granted this is Deadline so take it for what its worth - SAG-AFTRA has advised members who are doing Equity contracts to “continue to report to work.“