DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 7/12 - 7/18/2023

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Does Tony produce the commentators directly like Vince?

He does. With the 3 man team on Dynamite, it's been explained that he talks to whoever is hanging back the most and slips in thoughts that way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dirty J. said:

Couldn’t give two hoots about any of the matches afterwards. The opener took everything out of me and honestly Starks does very little for me.   Effeminate bootleg Rock.

I don't think Starks is effeminate, but if he were, would that be a problem? just drew should be no one's role model on here.

Just watched the tag. I genuinely teared up during the nearfall sequence toward the end of the second fall. Pro wrestling is fucking beautiful.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. 

This is literally how all live sports are produced, though. Every commentator has at least one, if not multiple people in their ears, at all times. It was only a problem with Vince because he tried to micromanage every word and lost his shit constantly. I don’t know of any reports of Tony being that way.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, EVA said:

This is literally how all live sports are produced, though. Every commentator has at least one, if not multiple people in their ears, at all times. It was only a problem with Vince because he tried to micromanage every word and lost his shit constantly. I don’t know of any reports of Tony being that way.

Can confirm, I had the following producers in my headset at all times:
- Switcher (informing me of camera angle changes)
- Replay (warning me of upcoming replays and what they are)
- Sports info (feeding me stats and relevant info)
- Lead producer (keeping me on track in case I was slipping, warning me when we were coming out of commercial/going live)

I could turn them down if I wanted (I'd often turn down the switcher because we'd have frequent camera changes) but it wasn't uncommon to have a lot of people in my ear.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Calling back to his first match back with Darby, Punk seems to appreciate the spot where the fan favourite hits a finish but knocks his opponent out of the ring before he can cover. Of course Punk was on the opposite side here. It’s nice to have a fave whose match i reliably want to revisit whenever it occurs. Doing it on a Sunday morning is my version of church. 

As an aside: Am I the only one who felt Punk-Joe was the least of the Punk tourney matches? 

• Like 3

My favorite of that kind of angle is when Jake DDTed Terry Taylor before the match, but he rolled out of the ring and so Jake couldn’t just pin him. He had to roll him back in the ring and by then, Taylor had recovered and kicked out.

• Like 1

I don't like that they had Orange DDT Archer on the floor, but Archer had to pop up immediately to get on the apron for the finish. If it was a countout anyway, the DDT could have just as easily been the end

• Like 1

Meltzer:

The past few days we had a lot of talk about Saturday being an unbelievable day for great matches. We'll talk more about it later but people were raving about the FTR vs. Jay White & Juice Robinson match, which was one of the best matches ever on American television, as well a Kento Miyahara vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima on yesterday's NOAH show, Will Ospreay vs. Taichi in the G-1 along with Shota Umino vs Ren Narita, and the Kenny Omega vs. Vikingo match in Mexico City. The amazing this is that because of travel situations, the four men in the tag match last night in Calgary had very little time to prepare for the match and then went out for 58:00 to do a three fall match. We'll talk a lot more about it tonight as well as the other bouts that we get a chance to see.

• Like 2

It’s been cool to watch Willow progress from rookie in WOW to winning the Owen plus I really like her Lady Hoss “Babe with the power “ presentation, with the “you wouldn’t like me when I’m angry “ Hulk up. Big hair, big smiles and big fights indeed.

Starks needs to carry the chalice around for a whole year like Owen with the slammy. DVR cut off the end of BOTB plus tech difficulties during the women’s match was a let down. 

One thing of note is Tya, Ethan Page, and Shawn Spears have got to be home town hero lately. Really made me think about things are done differently after reading JRs thoughts about his ritual humiliation in OKC

• Like 4

I was too tired to post about it Sat night (we started on a delay and didn't finish BOTB until ~1-1:30) but I thought this was a great Collision, too. I might've enjoyed the Collision/Rampage combo more than Dynamite this week (and it was a really good Dynamite, too) - we were definitely spoiled. FTR/BCG must have seen my post about topping Willow/Athena, and taken it as a challenge. I had a family thing yesterday and was thinking about it the whole time. Probably recency bias talking, but outside of the Briscoes matches, this might be my favorite non-NXT outing of theirs ever.

• Like 2

I really liked the Punk match too. The "back to basics" style of wrestling of his is interesting. Maybe it's just all that '60s and '70s stuff Gordi posted, but I'm getting down with that vibe. 

At the same time the modern style of the tag was working too, that match was tremendous. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Meltzer:

The past few days we had a lot of talk about Saturday being an unbelievable day for great matches. We'll talk more about it later but people were raving about the FTR vs. Jay White & Juice Robinson match, which was one of the best matches ever on American television, as well a Kento Miyahara vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima on yesterday's NOAH show, Will Ospreay vs. Taichi in the G-1 along with Shota Umino vs Ren Narita, and the Kenny Omega vs. Vikingo match in Mexico City. The amazing this is that because of travel situations, the four men in the tag match last night in Calgary had very little time to prepare for the match and then went out for 58:00 to do a three fall match. We'll talk a lot more about it tonight as well as the other bouts that we get a chance to see.

This might be the closest we've ever gotten to 3 continents having a 5-star match on the same day

• Like 4

I really need to remember my password to that one website so I can watch Kento vs Nakajima. I'll get around to watching the G1 stuff at some point this week.

Regarding the tag match, it's funny, a lot of people were shitting on FTR when they returned with most of the ire directed at Dax. A lot of that seemed like people directing their annoyance at his presence online or on his podcast towards his performance as a wrestler. Whatever shape Dax was in when they returned, he's still in the same shape now and went balls to the wall for 60 minutes. Even with Kenny vs Okada, they started slow and built up. FTR vs Jay and Juice 1 and 2 both started hot and stayed hot. It's one of the most incredible couple of matches I can think of where the people in the match start at the pace of a 15 minute match and keep that going for 30 minutes and then again for 60 minutes. All four of those guys are absolute machines.

It's also one of the few 2/3 falls matches that I didn't mind being 2/3 falls. Normally that type of match is not my favorite just because it's almost always going to go to 3 falls, but FTR losing that first fall made me seriously begin considering that they were going to lose because winning 2 straight falls against Jay and Juice seemed impossible. And props to Juice for losing both of those and props to AEW for continuing to protect Jay White. I hesitate to say that White would have been as protected in WWE because they seem to have their shit together about as well as AEW, but White is very protected at the moment and it's paying off. It's pretty clear that White is going to win a singles title sooner rather than later, but I wonder if it's going to be the TNT title or the International Title.

• Like 2

I saved the Willow/Athena match for later and I'm so glad I finally watched it. 

- The lady in the crowd yelling "WE LOVE YOU WILLOW!"

- Both of them stealing each other's moves out of spite

- Athena blasting her with the elbow and Tony with the Owen voice after it

- Willow slapping Athena in the tits and Athena responding with Kawada chops 

- Athena using the Crossface to get heat and getting immediate boos

Great stuff. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, EVA said:

Yeah as someone that's done some camera work for cycling races there's always people in your ear. 

58 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

And Willow RULES. 

Oh hell yeah! And Ruby lost twice in a row!!!

And the ref was looking right at the ropes when Starks was grabbing them at the three count! Jesus that bad officiating. But great for Starks. I thought he would beat Joe in the end but he got there!

Edited by Shartnado
Starks!
  • Like 1