DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JULY 2023

19 hours ago, Casey said:

according to Fightful, Orange Cassidy is now a producer/agent as well as a full time roster member.

Workhorse.

Apparently one of the matches he produced was that sweet Big Bill/Cage vs Trent/Sydal match

• Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 9:57 AM, JLowe said:

I'm pretty sure the pre-match video was supposed to be Jack Perry burying the Jungle Boy character, but I think they got the boots wrong?

Excalibur kept saying that he buried his boots but I swear there was a person attached to them and it was supposed to be a metaphor for actually burying Jungle Boy.  They do need to clue the announcers in a tiny bit better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'll be honest, I'm a little bit surprised at how much more I apparently enjoyed that Mox/Uno main a while back than some of the rest of us did

I really loved it and hoped it would usher in a new era of blood-soaked, shitkicker Uno.  Alas, it was not to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Excalibur kept saying that he buried his boots but I swear there was a person attached to them and it was supposed to be a metaphor for actually burying Jungle Boy.

I distinctly remember wondering whom Perry had murdered (and at one point thinking maybe he was burying Christian Cage again just for shits and giggles). I don't recall if I actually saw legs attached to the boots, but I'm pretty sure they showed him dragging them in a way that implied there was a person (or ex-person) attached.

• Like 2

In case anybody was doubting whether Matt D was well-liked on this board, I'll just throw out that as of this moment, four people have "liked" the fact that he's happy about Rush's signing, while not a single person has reacted to the post actually announcing said signing.:)

Edited by tbarrie
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

That's a real situation no-win, Technico.

I remember my years where I thought I was Roast Beef. Finding no-win situations was like a fun little game.

Rush's name makes me thinka B-sides n deep cuts from the three more-obvious Canucks. Saw 'em live in Dayton OH once! They played DIGITAL MAN. Nobody in that crowd was happier than me.

• Like 1

He probably went to visit his brother in Florida, was immediately dragged to see Sound of Freedom, then heard that WWE had just signed Pillman jr, and was like Fuck This, I'm Out.

• Haha 5

Just saw on some rumorz:

1) OC is working as an agent/producer backstage. Man, I hope that is true. He has the most well thought out, put together and paced matches of anyone in the past several years. He really gets how to lay things out. Also if he is doing more segment producing — he’s so creative with his character that he has a knack for that, too. 

2) Also, supposedly Bret Hart wanted to come into AEW for an agent role and they said they only wanted him as an on screen manager. There is no way I believe that rumor except it would be very AEW for them to now want Bret Hart putting together matches.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

2) Also, supposedly Bret Hart wanted to come into AEW for an agent role and they said they only wanted him as an on screen manager. There is no way I believe that rumor except it would be very AEW for them to now want Bret Hart putting together matches.

48 minutes ago, The Natural said:

that Bret Hart rumour is true that he was turned down as an AEW Agent, that's fucking stupid. One of the greatest wrestlers of all time and one of the best storytellers. I like how Bret says it as it is.

I saw a conversation yesterday, I think between NoFlips and I can't remember who else, where they were talking about the banned moves list smelling like a mole hunt - I'm getting a similar vibe here. "Mariano Rivera wanted to teach my kid to pitch, I told him to get the hell off my property." Seems like bullshit to me, probably invented out of thin air because we just had the 2nd Owen Cup, and we've got FTR and Punk out there kind of flying the flag every week

Edit: I just saw 'Rumour' and remembered you're a Brit, Nat - pretend I said "David Beckham wanted to teach my kid to play midfield, I politely asked him to leave the garden"

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The Bret rumor is coming from one tossed-off tweet that lacks a lot of context. For one thing, this alleged convo about Bret being an agent occurred in 2019 when the company was just starting up. 

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3

And, honestly, as much as I love Bret, I don’t need him agenting matches in the 2020’s.

If this is my promotion, if you haven’t been an active wrestler in 20 years, you can’t agent for me. I know that sounds hardline, but if you haven’t been actively wrestling in front of fans for that long, you really have no clue what a modern audience is interested in. Come and give a seminar or be a mentor backstage, but you’re not telling my dudes how to put together their match.

I would take a solid hand in his 40’s with a lot of experience as an agent over an old timer, no matter how great they used to be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, EVA said:

And, honestly, as much as I love Bret, I don’t need him agenting matches in the 2020’s.

If this is my promotion, if you haven’t been an active wrestler in 20 years, you can’t agent for me. I know that sounds hardline, but if you haven’t been actively wrestling in front of fans for that long, you really have no clue what a modern audience is interested in. Come and give a seminar or be a mentor backstage, but you’re not telling my dudes how to put together their match.

I would take a solid hand in his 40’s with a lot of experience as an agent over an old timer, no matter how great they used to be.

This is a toughie. I agree with you as a general rule - there have been some really great matches in the last ten years in both WWE and AEW agented by guys like TJ Wilson, Christopher Daniels, Shane Helms and more, who fit your bill - but putting aside my Bret superfandom for a moment, I truly, objectively think he is one of the most 'timeless' guys bell to bell. If *ever* there were an exception to be made to that rule, it's Bret. There was a Punk/Wardlow match last year that was probably a solid 60% or more comprised of spots borrowed from the Bret/Diesel matches, and they had the whole building eating outta their hands. And again, I could be blinded by my fandom, I totally acknowledge that - but his stuff just doesn't feel dated to me at all for whatever reason. He's a 'drop him in any era' guy IMO.

Edit: Or for another example, how about Fit Finlay? He's an older guy, but I seem to recall some very positive reviews when he started agenting for the WWE women

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

Finlay is an interesting case, because, despite his age, he was still an active wrestler up until about 10 years ago, which included a fairly busy indie run from 2011-12. So I’d be willing to take a look at Fit’s resume 😄

• Like 2