DVDVR Message Board

June 2023 Wrestling Discussion

3 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

If it's that one rumor all I can tell you is he denied it on Reddit without elaborating much on it.

The story goes that he worked this battle royal during WrestleMania weekend in 2013, and after disclosing *his problem* many wrestlers dropped out of the match or refused to be in the ring at the same time as him. Outside of a lone GCW appearance in 2016, he hasn't been booked on the East Coast since:

PWS Heavyweight Title #1 Contendership Battle Royal: Bonesaw defeats Cassidy Riley and Corey Havoc and Devious and Drunken Swashbuckler and Facade and Francis Kipland Stevens and Human Tornado and Jobber Dustin and Jobber Justin and Joe Hardway and John Silver and Jon Phoenix and Kennedy Kendrick and Kevin Steen and Lance Anoai and Micah Taylor and Mo Sexton and Pat Buck and Simon Dean and Sonjay Dutt and Starman and The Big O and The Hurricane and Timmy Aiight and Trent Barreta (12:00)
PWS Super Card 2013 - Tag 1 - Pay Per View @ SMG Sports Plex in Metuchen, New Jersey, USA

17 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

When I was nine, I met Davey Boy Smith at an autograph signing and I was really stuck for conversation filler while he signed my figurine so I asked if he used the running powerslam as a finishing move as it looked like a dog burying a bone.

He looked at me really quizzically like this question hurt him to think about and then told me I was a fookin idiot.

I remembered this experience when Shawn Michaels came to a Toys R Us in Australia three years later and just bowed my head and held out the store provided 8 by 10 for him to sign.

I think he thought I was non verbal so he handed me an action figure still in the box instead.

I found that action figure today clearing out some boxes. 

Davey Boy Smith was right.

I know I’m not the only one who read this in the voice of your avatar. 

• Haha 7

32 minutes ago, The Natural said:

The iconic Hell in a Cell match between The Undertaker and Mankind at King of the Ring 1998 turns 25 today. I watched it as a 13 year old. Such a surreal spectacle.

The Undertaker and Mankind watching it back:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl2m9exy4lU&pp=ygUZdW5kZXJ0YWtlciBoZWxsIGluIGEgY2VsbA%3D%3D

Also:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufn3F5zCAhM&pp=ygUDV3dl

Edited by The Natural

Speaking of DBS, a video of Fit Finlay vs. Young David from 1982 popped into my YouTube feed. Has any other wrestler (maybe Brian Cage) had as drastic a physique change in 10 years as DBS? In 1992, he doesn't even look like a real human being. It looks like the transformation scene in Captain America: The First Avenger but on a more absurd level.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Speaking of DBS, a video of Fit Finlay vs. Young David from 1982 popped into my YouTube feed. Has any other wrestler (maybe Brian Cage) had as drastic a physique change in 10 years as DBS? In 1992, he doesn't even look like a real human being. It looks like the transformation scene in Captain America: The First Avenger but on a more absurd level.

Harry was always a twig, and then I remember being surprised at him showing up on Hogan Knows Best looking like Popeye when he was dating Brooke

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

The iconic Hell in a Cell match between The Undertaker and Mankind at King of the Ring 1998 turns 25 today. I watched it as a 13 year old. Such a surreal spectacle.

Am I the only one who felt back then and now that it was insanely stupid?

7 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

You're not going to or you shouldn't get any push back on the main two bumps being stupid along with Taker fucking his ankle up trying to get back into the cell.

However, as a match as a whole being stupid? It's probably one of the handful I know backwards and forwards just cause it's constructed so well after Foley gets off the gurney and then takes the 2nd hellacious bump. If you look at how those cell matches evolved after the first two real ones, they just became increasingly longer and convoluted. That one, thankfully due to the health of the wrestlers, didn't overstay its welcome. I love it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Has any other wrestler (maybe Brian Cage) had as drastic a physique change in 10 years as DBS?

Superstar Billy Graham?

1 hour ago, Hamhock said:

Superstar Billy Graham?

If we're gonna name the other usual suspects, I would like to add Eddie Guerrero from the generic babyface  WCW run in 95 to early 97 being in pretty good shape to looking like the mini Hulk in 2005. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If we're gonna name the other usual suspects, I would like to add Eddie Guerrero from the generic babyface  WCW run in 95 to early 97 being in pretty good shape to looking like the mini Hulk in 2005. 

I feel like it started when he came back from the car accident in '99 and was looking considerably more jacked than when he left.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

I can't believe that I witnessed this insanity live in the arena. I was on the opposite side of where Foley flew off the Cell, but I remember yelling. "NOOOOOOOOOOO" as he was on the way down.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I feel like Jon Anderson's transformation from his days as the front man of prog rock band Yes into Strongman in NJPW was somehow EVEN MORE startling

: ypYOXPS.jpg        

itIQBbx.jpg  

Almost looks like two completely different people!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Haha 14

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

I feel like Jon Anderson's transformation from his days as the front man of prog rock band Yes into Strongman in NJPW was somehow EVEN MORE startling

Is it really startling, though? I mean - it can happen to you, it can happen to me, it can happen to everyone eventually…

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Most of Mick Foley's career is insanely stupid from a personal health standpoint. Luckily for him, pro wrestling and insanely stupid go well together, and this match was an all-time spectacle. Also features JR's best commentary ever.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Has there ever been a match where someone was about to do something stupid like Sting tonight and then at the last second realized it was a bad idea and backed out? 

Vic Grimes tried to... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2