DVDVR Message Board

AEW - April 2023

Dolfan in NYC

21 minutes ago, The Natural said:

80108676_1235308276856694_66904426133690

We need Bryan Danielson vs. Orange Cassidy.

Only if Orange wins. Bryan just isn’t doing it for me at the moment with his work as a heel plus I’ve found almost half of his matches this year to be below his usual standards (Nese, Cage, and Thatcher).

If a brand split happens…

I’m positive someone probably brought that up as a possibility before, but I will ignore them and claim my Simpsonsesque ability to see into the future. Call me OCTODAMUS!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

So of the people that need to be kept apart, it can't just be one group gets one specific night every week and the other people get the other night? If somebody is being held off of Dynamite every week, it's clear what the pecking order is. Would groups rotate in and out of the Wednesday show every other week or something?

Then there are going to be free-roaming agents of chaos like Danielson and Orange Cassidy and the Jarrett crew who will be on everything and working with whoever. In my conception, this is going to be very soft. 

My AEW viewing will shift to Saturday nights if that’s the Punk show. Don’t get me wrong, I like the Elite in-ring, but I’m kind of getting tired of the broken friendships storylines they’ve been doing for years now. Granted this time it’s moving at a better pace than the pandemic era one, but still. I like long storylines and all, but I can only sit through so many sad Hangman stories. We just finished one two years ago that started two years before that. Then tack on the Golden Lovers thing that’s an ongoing story for, what, like over a decade? Ehhhhh.

Plus you’d (presumably) have people like Starks, Hobbs and FTR on the pro-Punk show, whereas someone like Jericho - if he doesn’t work it out with Punk - would be on Wednesdays.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

We're going to see "what if Warrior got everything he wanted in 1996 instead of Vince telling him to fuck off" played out in real time

Exciting!

7i2rh4.jpg

How will your cognitive dissonance rationalize AEW getting a 3x rights fee increase next year?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Dog said:

How will your cognitive dissonance rationalize AEW getting a 3x rights fee increase next year?

If Omega and MJF are in WWE by then, what does it matter exactly

The company that was founded by a money mark who let hot young talent make their own creative decisions replaced by the same money mark letting broken-down ex-WWE talent make their own creative decisions

The ship is going in the wrong direction - AEW crashing and burning so Tony can spend the rest of his life running ROH would be the only good thing this chaos could possibly produce

Also - you said you were blocking me like 5 times and obviously have not. I love you too.

2 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Also - you said you were blocking me like 5 times and obviously have not. I love you too.

I have never, ever said I would block anyone on here. Not once.

Ah yes a soft brand split. Truly the alternative to the other guys 🙄🙄🙄

Explain to me how & why we need AEW to copy every WWE trope there is. Separate developmental brand. Brand split on the "main roster" that doesn't have clear and distinct lines to make it special when people do cross over. 80s WWE ropes. WWE staging. WWE guard rails. When do the LED posts & aprons debut?

I liked AEW better when they were different than WWE. I don't like that they are trying to be exactly like them. Grow the fuck up and just steer clear of your fellow employees you don't want to interact with. We don't need another company with split brands. For fuck's sake.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

I wish they could make the Saturday show an ROH show because that would be a better use of Punk to Elevate Ring of Honor. You obviously wouldn't have Punk exclusive to Ring of Honor if you can't have him on your weekly TV that Warner is paying you for. 

They still have enough talent to do a soft brand split and with WWE being sold I expect more talent from them would be available in the next year or so that TK can't resist picking up. 

• Like 1

brand splits are fucking stupid. Coach Tony doesn't even have a "split" between his two ACTUAL separate brands. and think about how much he likes bringing in people from other promotions. you think he's going to split his own brand while crossing over with AAA/NJPW/ROH/Impact/etc?

• Like 4

Guys, we’ve already decided that it’s going to be a brand split and I’m a genius for bringing it up in October.

Saturday morning would be a really fun time for a wrestling show.

Not a fan of the name Collision for a show. It’s the least lyrical or exciting way to refer to a car crash. 

@NoFistsJustFlips, to complete the AEWWE transformation, do we think the Saudi Prince has like a wealthy wrestling fan cousin that could finance a multi-show deal?

Edited by Octopus

Honestly...don't these guys realize that "real life animosity" will equal big business?? Everyone needs to man up, kiss and make up, and turn their assumed dislike into ratings and dollars. It's not rocket science. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Honestly I’m staying skeptical of the whole “brand split is to appease whoever doesn’t want to be in the same place with each other” because it’s so incredibly dumb and nonsensical. Maybe it turns out to be true, and if so, wow. But I’m not giving it much thought until there’s some additional reporting or announcements. 

We’ve almost all complained about how certain talents don’t get featured, or they get a big win and then disappear. For the size of the roster I’d say another 2 hour weekend show is nice. But I’m not gonna think about it much until there’s some other source or info. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Honestly I’m staying skeptical of the whole “brand split is to appease whoever doesn’t want to be in the same place with each other” because it’s so incredibly dumb and nonsensical. Maybe it turns out to be true, and if so, wow. But I’m not giving it much thought until there’s some additional reporting or announcements.

We’ve almost all complained about how certain talents don’t get featured, or they get a big win and then disappear. For the size of the roster I’d say another 2 hour weekend show is nice. But I’m not gonna think about it much until there’s some other source or info. 

The go-home Dynamite before Forbidden Door was just announced for Chicago on June 21st, and Collision is slated to air from Canada on July 8th

Maybe they start the Punk-Kenny program by doing a USA vs. Canada thing and the brand-split happens later (after Wembley?)

Can't see that Canada show happening without Kenny or Jericho

On 4/12/2023 at 6:04 PM, LF2 said:

Shouldn’t that say Kenny? As he’s the only one Punk could conceivably work a singles match with? Punk won’t work Hangman (and I’m sure the feeling is mutual), and nobody is buying a ticket to see either Jackson vs Punk one on one. Or are you suggesting we get the true dream matchup of CM Punk vs Michael Nakazawa? That might draw 50-100 people.

Tell that to the guy with the Nakazawa sign on Dynamite 😝

• Thanks 1