DVDVR Message Board

April 2023 Wrestling Discussion

Bayley tweeted something about love stories coming to an end and signed it off by saying Bye. So perhaps her WWE contract is up and she's off with Mercedes to fight Superstars from NJPW. Just think of the classics we could see.

• Like 2

Now that I thought about it, between Lacey Evans and last week Holly Holm using ESPN as a forum after her fight basically to discuss why we need to "protect our children", I think WWE and UFC are basically as kissing cousins as you can get.

• Like 2

I'd joke about Muta wearing a Squid Game mask but he's probably been using that for awhile and it's better than the Ultimate Warrior busting out a paint mask and then dying the next day

Somehow the AI generated matches will end up like the video game matches that plague some YouTube results.

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I'd joke about Muta wearing a Squid Game mask but he's probably been using that for awhile and it's better than the Ultimate Warrior busting out a paint mask and then dying the next day

Somehow the AI generated matches will end up like the video game matches that plague some YouTube results.

Or like click bait like a Best Boxing KOs of all time with a terrible Photoshop of 1986 Mike Tyson doing a faceoff in the ring with 2003 Bob Sapp that has like 10 million views.

Come on...we all know Sapp Time would have knocked Mike's ass out.

13 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

the WWE has enough womens wrestlers and other assorted women that they could do a lumberjack match where the lumberjacks are women with chanclas ready to hit wrestlers until they get back in the ring

it might technically be appropriation if too many of the lumberjacks are white chicks that can't pass as Hispanic to someone not familiar with the product (for example, if you never heard her speak, you might think "Rhea Ripley's a Latina? right"... it's not like how some people thought Batista was Hispanic due to his name when he's Greek/Filipino)

*lumberjill

also

11 hours ago, AxB said:

Bayley tweeted something about love stories coming to an end and signed it off by saying Bye. So perhaps her WWE contract is up and she's off with Mercedes to fight Superstars from NJPW. Just think of the classics we could see.

Well I read she’d been posting about the WrestleMania match either being a love story or a romance novel (sorry I can’t remember which). 

Plus if her deal was up it seems like one of the dirt sheet crew would have reported on it like they did with Drew on Saturday (and yes I know his deal isn’t actually up). 

Off the back of this weekend I’m going to make an observation, and I’m just curious if people agree. And I’m leaving CodyGate out of it because that’s enough talk on that

Observation is that Tony Khan is the best week to week matchmaker / booker in the US, and Triple H is the best quarter to quarter booker in the US.

Like I’d rather watch Dynamite over Raw and SD every single week and not think twice, but objectively the WWE under HHH has stronger and more well established champions across the board (with OC vs Theory being the one exception) and a much tighter long term narrative.

Both do very well with their PPVs. But I feel like WWE kind of sucks week to week and AEW is a mess long term.

• Like 1

I feel like the principal reason for reading the Observer then and now is reading about all the changes month-to-month when it came to WCW between Post Dusty to when guys like Nash got the book. Granted, most of it involves Dave reading in between the lines going back reading some of the back issues. A lot of it is purely inference, but it's fascinating.

When you're analyzing it in real time, it's a lot less fascinating cause the imperfections are clear. People are going to overanalyze the shit out of everything like they booked their own red hot territory.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

One of the values of Between thr Sheets is seeing just how many of Dave’s opinions have aged poorly and many of his biases can now be documented, especially regarding sources. 

Here's the thing about Dave's opinions,  they're clearly opinions,  except since he was one of the few people covering wrestling seriously,  a lot of people take his opinions as fact. Dave has probably done more for people critically thinking about wrestling than anyone in history,  but that doesn't mean anything he says is right. Dave can be a fucking moron about a lot of shit,  and I'm fine with that,  because everybody is a fucking moron about a lot of shit. The fact that there is value in going back and reading his opinions 10+ years after the fact days everything about his opinions I need to know. His opinion might differ from mine,  but after I watch some random wrestling match,  he's the only person who's opinion I'd seek out. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

His opinion might differ from mine,  but after I watch some random wrestling match,  he's the only person who's opinion I'd seek out. 

This is MattD erasure, dammit!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

This is MattD erasure, dammit!

Lol,  you're right, but I feel like the board doesn't count.  I care about the opinions posted here,  but this is more about me discussing wrestling with friends.  Dave is something that doesn't really exist in any other sport. He's THE opinion worth seeking out,  just to see if you agree or not.  Discussing wrestling around here is not me seeking out an opinion, but a back and forth discussion even if I just read it and move on. I didn't even realize I did that,  because I feel like one is active,  and the other is passive. Searching for Dave's opinion is like going to the library and checking the microfiche to read about football from the 50s. Reading you guys' opinions feels like something that would get me kicked out of the library, lol. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SirSmUgly said:

I can't wait to find this out: What is CodyGate referring to?

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Presumably people pitching a fit about the result of a single match in a vacuum. 

Yeah, people can get pretty upset when others have different opinions. A few emotional posters misquoting and random whataboutism. Classic internet.

• Like 1