DVDVR Message Board

Ring of Honor - 2023

Matt D

On 9/4/2023 at 1:16 PM, Go2Sleep said:

Since ROH has fallen through the cracks of my regular viewing, can someone give me a quick recap of why Billie is an Athena fangirl now?

After Billie beat Robyn Renegade last month, she got jumped by the Renegade Twins until Athena made the save. Athena teased taking out Billie too but showed her mercy and left. 

The next week, after Athena won a match, the Renegade Twins attacked until Billie made the save. Athena shoved Billie away saying she didn't need her while Billie just wants to be friends. Later that night, Billie defeats Charlette Renegade and again gets jumped after until Athena makes the save. They work together to take out the Renegades. After, Billie offers a handshake, Athena doesn't take it but calls Billie her "minion" and tells her to come with her so they leave together.  Later on, Athena refers to Billie as her loyal follower and minion while Billie is focused on wanting them to wrestle the Renegades. 

The following week, they team up to defeat the Renegades with Athena telling Billie to just do what she says so there's dissension when Billie tags herself in to get the finish. Afterwards Athena tries to make Billie "prove herself" by stomping one of the twins on the title like Athena would, but they escaped.  Billie was injured here so she was not medically cleared for All Out and ended up managing Athena's team there instead. 

• Like 2

More Athena/Billie greatness kicks off this week. Billie has been perfect in her role and Lexy's been hilarious too. Loved the backstage setup for the match. Good stuff from Athena vs. Allysin Kay, strong opener.

I knew it wasn't likely but I still wanna see Silas Young win again one of these times. Solid match with Nese.

Skye & Willow made for a fun team and match against the Renegades.  Another fun one from Kingston & Shibata. 

Thought Kiera/Leila was a great 5 minutes, both looked good here. Similarly Leyla/Frost was pretty good as well. The women's division here is always a highlight.

Felt like a string of somewhat random squashes to end the show. Claudio killing Big Shotty, Iron Savages in 1 minute, and a Best Friends 8 man. 

• Like 2

Harder than usual to figure out what was taped last night but... looks like..

Spoiler
  • QT vs Metalik
  • Kevin Ku/Outrunners vs Infantry/WIllie Mack

and then it gets vague

• Claudio vs Rocky Romero?
  • Shane Taylor vs Lee Johnson?
  • Ethan Page?
  • Gates of Agony?
  • ???

• Like 1

I would love to see this production team develop a better look for ROH on Honorclub. These empty arenas and the extra reliance on the ringside cams makes for a much less enjoyable presentation. I'd love to see a lighting scheme to make the ringside area even darker than it is. Not unlike the look of a bygone era house show. It could benefit from not looking a poorly attended Collision.

I've been working on three weeks of 'Late Stages AWA Championship Wrestling' on Honor Club. I am very thankful to have the FFWD option when Tony Nese breaks out his same schtick every week. Tho, part of me is proud of his effort. The Outrunners are the team or wrestlers I look forward to most when seeing their name on these ROH cards. I also look forward to Leila Grey matches. She's getting better and better. Her charisma really stands out.

Lee Johnson promoing poorly, and being destroyed by Claudio felt like a talent exit. I like Lee, but I wonder what an excursion might do for him? Set him free Tony. Lady Frost is consistently good. And worthy of an ROH push. I'm really pleased to see so many promos in between the matches. Mic reps are every bit as important as match reps. 

Looking forward to Sabre Jr v Metalik, v Daniels, and the Outrunners v Angelico/Serpentico. Also, very curious what Cutler v Blake Christian might look like. 

EDIT: So pleased to see the change most needed happen - At All Out, Shane Taylor finally switched from the unflattering (and job guy looking) spandex to a looser short! And looked so much better for it. Push that man! 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

Last couple of nights I have put on newer ROH shows on my tablet while in bed. Obviously, I don't see that much of it before the lights go out, but stuff like Layla Hirsch vs Lady Frost and Athena with Starkz vs Allisyn Kay sure was fun. Also, Athena has minions now?!?

• Like 1

Nice hot start with Claudio/Rocky for the title, good match.  Loved the competitive squash from Mercedes against Zoey Lynn, big fan of Zoey so I was glad to see her get a spot.  

Darius/Daniels was solid. Shane Taylor looked good in a longer than expected match against Big Shotty. 

Great video on the Athena/Billie saga and hilarious backstage with Billie and Lexy. Athena's minion training "practice ANGRY stomps!".  Lexy also great in the later promo with Maria/Karter/Griff.

Lady Frost moonsault on Willow looked absolutely killer, totally would've bought that as the finish.  A string of squashes followed and then AR Fox vs Tony Nese was a solid little main event.

1 hour ago, Log said:

Radrick currently holds my personal second-place ranking for "wrestlers who have a horrible look, but are really quite amazing". First place is, of course, Daniel Makabe.

I think Makabe has the "guy in your jiu-jitsu class that you would fake an injury to get out of rolling with" look down pat.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Makabe looks better now since he dropped a lot of weight. Even he admitted that he was looking like shit and had let himself go. I used to not like the soccer kit look, but I’ve seen him enough that I can’t imagine him not in it. His old band Hanging Heart is really good too. 

Fun opener from Shibata vs Nick Wayne. Shibata killer as always.  Enjoyed Mercedes vs Adora.

The MINION TRAINING skit was absolutely hilarious. Billie has the greatest facial expressions. Nice little match from Athena vs Angelina Love. Angelina appearing on Honor Club and ImPACT in the same night. 

Loved the trios tags, with both sides having awesome units of babyface and heel. Kiera/Skye/Willow made for an amazing babyface trio while Leyla & The Renegades is an awesome heel unit. Love to see Skye get the winning fall.

Nice amount of backstage bits, Lexy's become one of the absolute best interviewers.  Some decent matches followed ending with a real solid trios titles main event with the Embassy over Willie Mack & The Infantry. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2023 at 2:26 PM, hammerva said:

Either Billie has the best facial expressions in ROH or she is the absolute worst in trying to keep a straight face.  The entire video is her trying very hard not to just start laughing hysterically  

On 9/22/2023 at 8:03 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I was gonna say after watching that, I wish I could be as tenth as cheery as her in my daily life. 

Always funny seeing someone trying not to crack up and corpse.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 12:00 PM, The Natural said:

All three need to be on AEW TV.

This highlights the perception (reality?) problem with current ROH. Every time something is good, there is the call that it should have been in AEW instead. A good amount of the “best of ROH” under Tony has already been under an AEW banner 

55 minutes ago, evanknight said:

This highlights the perception (reality?) problem with current ROH.

Reality is the right term.

I get that the talking points all push ROH is supposed to be an equal and separate sister promotion, but when you compare the 10k-ish who have the ability to see ROH (legally) vs the one million-ish (roughly) that might tune into AEW on a given week...

If something is clicking and enjoyable in ROH and you think you can draw money with it, then by definition it needs to be on AEW to do so.

Lots of wrestling this week, a mixture of squashes and mostly short competitive matches.  Scorpio Sky vs Tony Nese and Gravity vs Lee Johnson were both solid. 

Great to see Billie Starkz back in the ring. As usual, her and Athena's antics here and later on were the highlight of the show. 

Would've liked more than a minute of Leyla Hirsch vs Laynie Luck, but I dig the set up for Leyla vs Athena for the title next week, that has awesome potential for sure.

Love the return of Jimmy Jacobs, nice hometown addition and a pretty fun 5 minute match with Shane Taylor. I hope Jacobs sticks around as a semi-regular at least in ring. 

Liking the Cole Karter & Griff Garrison pairing with Maria where Griff is all about the Code of Honor and doesn't want to cheat.  Mercedes vs Allysin Kay was pretty good.

Thought Rohit Raju looked good for just being there to get squashed in 2 mins. Strong short main event from Brian Cage vs. Metalik

• Like 2

Some stuff they taped after Collision tonight:

Satoshi Kojima vs Tony Nese

Josh Woods squash

Willow, Kiera Hogan, Skye Blue vs Lady Frost & Renegade Twins

Athena vs Lelya Hirsch title match (REALLY good match!)

Infantry vs TMDK (Nichols/Haste)

Chris Daniels vs Rocky Romero

Scorpio Sky vs Fred Rosser

Ethan Page squash

Before Collision they had EJ Nduka vs Jon Cruz and Powerhouse Hobbs vs Cody Chuun but I don't think those were ROH matches

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 2