DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

23 hours ago, LF2 said:

Okay then drop the one team from my prediction, and I’ll look like an idiot when my favorite team goes 10-7, and loses in the first round to whomever wins the NFC South. Which speaking of delusional I can’t believe how many people are betting on the Saints to win the Super Bowl. Like they actually think Carr is a top 5 QB (in his conference maybe, overall not a chance in hell).

Carr is a top five QB in his division. . . .I think.

• Haha 2

Am I the only one who thinks that Tim Couch never really got a fair shake in the NFL? He was surrounded by a terrible Browns team with even worse coaching. But I was just watching game film on Couch, and he had a good upside to him. I think a real franchise would have molded Couch into a consistent quarterback that at least won games. He still doesn't make but maybe one Pro Bowl, but still would have been worlds better than what actually happened. 

• Like 2

I think 50% of drafted QB failures comes down to coaching and the franchise. What happens to Tom Brady if he’s drafted by the Jets?

Maybe David Carr becomes a serviceable starter if he doesn’t get sacked 70 times a season his first few years.

Look at someone like Alex Smith, who had 5 different offensive coordinators his first 5 years, and I think a similar number of QB coaches. It took him getting some stability and a decent coach before he became a good starter. Was a legit bust before then. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, elizium said:

I think 50% of drafted QB failures comes down to coaching and the franchise. What happens to Tom Brady if he’s drafted by the Jets?

Maybe David Carr becomes a serviceable starter if he doesn’t get sacked 70 times a season his first few years.

Look at someone like Alex Smith, who had 5 different offensive coordinators his first 5 years, and I think a similar number of QB coaches. It took him getting some stability and a decent coach before he became a good starter. Was a legit bust before then. 

I'm pretty sure Josh Allen wouldn't be where his is today if he's drafted to Cleveland or the JEts.

• Like 4

There's also guys like Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell that are going to flame out no matter what. Or Nathan Peterman guys, who are just untalented. But so much of it comes down to a crapshoot of circumstances.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Thomas Bugg said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Tim Couch never really got a fair shake in the NFL? He was surrounded by a terrible Browns team with even worse coaching. But I was just watching game film on Couch, and he had a good upside to him. I think a real franchise would have molded Couch into a consistent quarterback that at least won games. He still doesn't make but maybe one Pro Bowl, but still would have been worlds better than what actually happened. 

Tim Couch got booed of the field trying to be the Packers backup quarterback. The Browns were terrible for most of his time there,  but they made the playoffs in 2002. He broke his leg in the final game and Kelly Holcomb came in and played better than Couch ever played and he never got his job back. I don't think Couch was an NFL caliber quarterback. Honestly, I believe the Browns always picked the wrong guy in all of these drafts. I'm really trying to think of there is a single Browns quarterback since Bernie Kosar who could have been better some place else and I'm drawing a blank. They have picked the worst possible option more times than not.  Baker at least was the third best option, above Darnold and Rosen, but I don't think anyone else would have drafted him #1 overall.  Couch is the classic look the part all star who played in an air raid offense that college defenses had no answers for at the time. He put up big numbers in college,  but if his receivers weren't wide open he couldn't hit them in the NFL.

Edited by supremebve
My phone just types anything it wants
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Thomas Bugg said:

What game film did you watch?

Couch was really one of the first air raid guys to be seen as a major NFL prospect. Like, he's kinda the guy who started the whole "air raid guys can't play pro style" thing.

Edited by Brian Fowler

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Couch was really one of the first air raid guys to be seen as a major NFL prospect. Like, he's kinda the guy who started the whole "air raid guys can't play pro style" thing.

The  real issue is that no one seems to be able to evaluate QB talent.  The fact that people look at someone like Tim Couch and his failures, and then use that as evidence as why they wouldn't draft Patrick Mahomes is just plain dumb, but it happened.  Mahomes probably wouldn't have been drafted in the first round if Andy Reid didn't recognize that he was literally the most talented quarterback of all time.  I went back and read all the scouting reports, and everyone just assumed he'd throw a bunch of interceptions.  Every report said something like, 'he has an incredibly strong arm, he can fuck around and throw the ball 50+ yards from any arm angle and is as good in the pocket as he is when the play breaks down, but that will never work in the NFL."  He threw for 5000 yards, 41 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions and ran for 12 more TDs in his last year in college.  He was throwing to a bunch of dudes who couldn't have played in the NFL unless they created themselves on Madden.  If you read the scouting reports, the best comp I saw said, "he could be good Tony Romo, but could also be bad Tony Romo."  If you can't see that Patrick Mahomes is a good prospect, I don't know why we should trust anything else you have to say about any other quarterback.

Also, Kliff Kingsbury went 12-13 with Patrick Mahomes as his starting quarterback, and people keep giving him jobs.  One day someone is going to have an IQ above 47 and they're going to run a football team well.  They will win 59 straight Super Bowls.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Miami is signing Chosen Robbie Anderson

In other news - Robbie Anderson is apparently going by the name "Chosen Robbie Anderson" now.

I missed that memo

EDIT

Anderson posted on Instagram last month that he legally changed his first name to Chosen. That change came after he had legally changed the spelling of his first name from Robby to Robbie last year.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Miami is signing Chosen Robbie Anderson

In other news - Robbie Anderson is apparently going by the name "Chosen Robbie Anderson" now.

You may or may not be seeing a lot of this gif next season

giphy.gif

• Haha 5

16 hours ago, supremebve said:

Also, Kliff Kingsbury went 12-13 with Patrick Mahomes as his starting quarterback, and people keep giving him jobs.

I've been pointing this out since he got hired at Arizona.

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

I've been pointing this out since he got hired at Arizona.

People talk about Kyler Murray,  but I like to point out that all of his success is when he's doing stuff outside of the offense that Kingsbury designed. We've seen Kyler be good,  we've never seen Kingsbury be good. 

• Like 1

I have no idea how Roseman is manipulating the Cap to make all these deals, but I'm fully expecting that he backloaded the hits and the Eagles are going to be in serious decade long cap hell in 5 years.

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I have no idea how Roseman is manipulating the Cap to make all these deals, but I'm fully expecting that he backloaded the hits and the Eagles are going to be in serious decade long cap hell in 5 years.

If there's a ring involved... I think you can deal with it. 

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

If there's a ring involved... I think you can deal with it. 

Given how they played in the last SuperBowl, I'm not sure a ring is guaranteed.

• Like 1

Its a lot of money but teams do what they need to do if they think they have an elite QB. Its the hardest position to fill, some teams go literal decades between elite QBs. I don't know if Hurts will keep playing the level he did last year but if he does they did the right thing locking him down. High risk, high reward, gotta do it. Cap will work itself out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For full context

Lynn’s incredible business savvy and strong will to succeed has led her to become one of the youngest female sports agents in the industry signing her first client at only 26. In 2019, Lynn became the first Black woman to represent a Top 3 NFL draft pick (and only the second woman in history to solo-represent an NFL first-rounder) when she represented defensive tackle, Quinnen Williams. After following Hurts’ collegiate football career and seeing his NFL draft, Lynn sent him a direct message on Instagram asking for a meeting. Just three years after impressing both him and his father during a meetup, with her storied management career that spans several NCAA players, she began representing him.

According to Zippia, only 7.5% of sports agents are Black, while a whopping 65.1% of them are White. Additionally, only 23.2% of sports agents are women, and of that, only 10.4% are Black (men or women).  As Hurts began his professional career—he started his rookie season as the third-string quarterback on the Philadelphia Eagles’ depth chart—he found himself looking around the world of sports and feeling more and more bothered by the way women were treated. He hired women to run his life around football. Choosing Lynn as his agent was just the start. From media relations to marketing to brand client services support, women run things for him across the board. 

• Like 2