DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

30 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I take it all back, I want Stephen A Smith to talk about Lamar instead of you guys, because while he's still just as fucking boring as this, he's not DRY, too.

Next time I'll talk about how I can't believe his temerity and unmitigated gall, and type in all caps. 

34 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

With all the Lamar Jackson talk, one other shoe that may fall before he ever signs somewhere is an extension for Burrow or Herbert (probably not Hurts yet). Burrow could easily re-set the market again, and it is in both teams best interest if they can work out a deal to lock in their young QBs as soon as they are able to. So that would just be another consideration for Lamar in where he slots, depending on what their contracts are for.

This is my point about the price going up. They should have done this last season before Watson, Murray,  and Wilson,  but they didn't and the price went up. If Burrow,  Hurts,  Herbert,  and Tua get paid, the price goes up again. Or, they can just pay him,  and then they can manipulate his cap hit,  instead of the franchise tag where his full salary sits on their cap like a boulder. The only justification for not paying him is to say that they didn't pay him. 

12 hours ago, LF2 said:

The GM is 100% safe as is their two time Super Bowl winning head coach.

John Harbaugh has won one Super Bowl not two.  You're like the fifth person I've seen say that Harbaugh has two.  Is he getting credit for Brian Billick's win?

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Tabe said:

John Harbaugh has won one Super Bowl not two.  You're like the fifth person I've seen say that Harbaugh has two.  Is he getting credit for Brian Billick's win?

Yes apparently he is. 😂 I have no idea how I screwed that up so badly, but thank you for the correction. I should know he didn’t coach the one Billick won since they beat the team I root for.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Multiple NFL reporters and sites are reporting that John Elway's contract with the Broncos quietly ended last month and he's no longer working for the team.

You'd think they'd want to re-sign after all his massive success with drafting superstar quarterbacks. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Tyreek Hill said this contract will be his last and he will retire at the end of it.  

So, the Dolphins have until 2026 to bring it home. 

It’s nice to see a pro athlete that wants to walk away at that age (he’ll be 31). It’s much better to retire with millions and live a healthy and fulfilling life than to play forever, and have permanent injuries. Good on Tyreek, and I hope your Dolphins get him a second ring.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2023 at 6:01 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Also, allegedly the Ravens have made OBJ an offer of some sort, and people are speculating it might be an attempt to appear Lamar, so everything is a circle here.

Done deal. One year, worth "up to" $18 million

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Done deal. One year, worth "up to" $18 million

I swear the Ravens offseason has been them reading this board and saying, "Wait until @supremebve and @LF2 see this shit, they'll never stop arguing."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

24 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I swear the Ravens offseason has been them reading this board and saying, "Wait until @supremebve and @LF2 see this shit, they'll never stop arguing."

Actually about that….. I think this was a terrible signing for the Ravens. Assuming Lamar doesn’t play, and the goal is to tank into a top 5 pick then signing OBJ is about the worst move you could make. He’s a huge upgrade at receiver for them, and if Huntley improves at all they’ll probably win 7-9 games (just enough to avoid picking top 5).

Plus I love how the narrative was he wanted to go to a “winner”. This definitely doesn’t feel like that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LF2 said:

Actually about that….. I think this was a terrible signing for the Ravens. Assuming Lamar doesn’t play, and the goal is to tank into a top 5 pick then signing OBJ is about the worst move you could make. He’s a huge upgrade at receiver for them, and if Huntley improves at all they’ll probably win 7-9 games (just enough to avoid picking top 5).

Plus I love how the narrative was he wanted to go to a “winner”. This definitely doesn’t feel like that.

Back when they were first talking to OBJ, the speculation was they wanted to sign him to show Lamar they were serious about upgrading the talent around him and entice him to sign a new deal.

• Like 1

The deal only makes sense if they have some inkling that Lamar is leaning towards coming back (either on the tag or they are closer to a deal) and its an olive branch of sorts. So I can't pass judgement until we find out the next step, if Lamar doesn't sign and sits out all offseason/part of the regular season then it looks like a big waste of money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Its the Ravens $$$, but I think the contracts about $10 million too rich. Ravens were the ones dumb enough to not give him a prove it contract.

I think he’d retire before taking $5 million unless they gave him incentives to make 10-15 per. Even with his lifestyle it’s not worth playing for less than he’s worth. Especially when some scrub type receivers are getting 10+ per.

Just look at some of these salaries and the Beckham deal makes more sense:

Courtland Sutton $18 million (less than 900 yards in 2022, 14 TDs in 5 seasons)

Allen Robinson $18 million (less than 400 yards in 2022, 3 TDs) 

Diontae Johnson $16 million (less than 900 yards in 2022, 0 TDs)

Corey Davis $11 million (less than 500 yards in 2022, 17 TDs in 6 seasons) 

Tim Patrick $11 million (less than 800 yards in 2022, 12 TDs in 4 seasons)

Edited by LF2

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The deal only makes sense if they have some inkling that Lamar is leaning towards coming back (either on the tag or they are closer to a deal) and its an olive branch of sorts. So I can't pass judgement until we find out the next step, if Lamar doesn't sign and sits out all offseason/part of the regular season then it looks like a big waste of money.

There is no way Lamar sits out. He probably doesn't want to be franchised,  but that's too much money and he seems to generally like football too much to not play. My issue with the OBJ signing is that I don't think he's a game breaker any more and that's what they need. The biggest issue with their offense has been that every big play comes from Lamar being the best athlete in the field.  That's great,  but not a long term plan. If he's their only play maker,  there is a hard ceiling in their potential as a team. They need at least once receiver who can make a play that doesn't have anything to do with Lamar's ability to disrupt the defense. Just run a route,  beat your man and go get the ball. OBJ used to be that,  but it's been a long ass time since that has been part of his game. Lamar has never played with someone like that in college or as a pro,  and I want to see it once. Just one time give him an offensive teammate worth a damn. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

There is no way Lamar sits out. He probably doesn't want to be franchised,  but that's too much money and he seems to generally like football too much to not play. My issue with the OBJ signing is that I don't think he's a game breaker any more and that's what they need. The biggest issue with their offense has been that every big play comes from Lamar being the best athlete in the field.  That's great,  but not a long term plan. If he's their only play maker,  there is a hard ceiling in their potential as a team. They need at least once receiver who can make a play that doesn't have anything to do with Lamar's ability to disrupt the defense. Just run a route,  beat your man and go get the ball. OBJ used to be that,  but it's been a long ass time since that has been part of his game. Lamar has never played with someone like that in college or as a pro,  and I want to see it once. Just one time give him an offensive teammate worth a damn. 

Give him 2003 or 2007 Randy Moss, a dude so good even Lamar's mediocre accuracy wouldn't matter. That would be fun. 

• Like 1

That's insane, it's $100 more than DirecTV had it at.  If RedZone gets bumped off the Sports tier and is only available with the Ticket, I'm gonna be pissed.

• Like 2

Its not surprising it will cost a bit more than it did on DirecTV since Youtube is paying more than DirecTV did for the rights. It was $295 last year I think with DirecTV. The price is about what I was expecting, my only disappointment is the lack of a 'single team' price like MLB does. Even if it was only $50 less it would appeal to me since I'm only interested in watching one team with it, otherwise I'm fine with whatever is on broadcast/ESPN. Not sure if at that price point it makes sense for my interests.

• Like 1

Okay - apparently, and Google could be lying (in many ways in this case) - only DirectTV's version of RedZone would be affected

The version those of us have via our cable companies would stay

• Like 2

It looks that way bouncing to everyone's sites.  But they haven't given the answer if they're putting their RedZone on teh Ticket, like DirecTV had it, or keeping it on the Sports Tier where its' been.  They haven't given an answer outside of "if you bundle it with the Ticket, it costs $280", so I'm not hopeful.

I live in the sweet spot between Philly and NYC markets, I don't need the ticket to watch teh Eagles, I just want taht and Redzone, and it's cheaper overall to jump to Xfinity (Verizon just pissed me off, so that'd be it)

I am moving in July and was planning on keeping my Xfinity - I doubt this will get me to change anything

If this was 20 years ago me - maybe. But now I only care about watching Washington lose and getting enough Giants games a year to make me wish I got less Giants games a year.

• Haha 1