DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2023

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Also, yeah, count me in for thinking that whatever "rumor" exists about Cavill is utter bullshit if those rumors even exist. Dude was beloved on the set of both Enola Holmes movies.

And as for him not doing anything because it will break the bank, he's already doing the 40k tv series on Prime. So how does that line up with this notion that he's not going to be doing movies and TV if money is an issue. They're going to be paying him that much to do a 40K series.

Isn’t he bank rolling this show? Not 100% obviously but enough to make sure he has creative input so he doesn’t get in another Witcher situation. 

Will be a massive get for Marvel when he does come aboard. 

Y’all, Henry Cavill hasn’t done enough for you to be fanboying over him like this. I know he builds computers and plays Warhammer but cmon.

He’s in. He’s out. He’s in. He’s out. We’ve been going through this for years. Enough.

They aren’t going to fire Ezra Miller before The Flash comes out. They also didn’t really fire Henry Cavill as he was no longer under contract.

Im totally fine with them picking and choosing. We just had a full season of Peacemaker. I don’t want them to reset that. Superman? Sure, go ahead.

Edited by Ligerbusa

I also think there's a fair to mid chance they are doing a full on reboot. They just don't want to say that. Especially with The Flash & Shazam not out yet. While yes they say Waller is part of the new canon, notice how they talk about Blue Beetle. If The Flash really "resets" everything, then why are they talking about Blue Beetle in terms of it's great that this didn't have any tie ins and we can just make it part of The New DCU?

I think we're getting a hard reboot that just has some characters recast by the same actor. Waller is Viola Davis. But it's not the same Waller we've seen. It's a rebooted one. Just played by the same actor. Like Dare Devil in Marvel. Or Electro in No Way Home. Same actor playing the character, but technically new character.

I guess we'll see. My assumption could be wrong. But the tell to me is how they talk about Blue Beetle.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Man.... I like Viola Davis a lot but I just don't care for her as Amanda Waller. I'll give it a shot but hopefully they lighten her up a bit.

I think Davis does fine for the version of Waller they use. It just not a great version. I really wish people would go back to Ostrander's version instead of the more recent harder one.

• Like 1

I kind of get not telling Warren Ellis, and I also get studios wanting to keep things close to the vest, but this happens a lot when these projects get made its kind of sad. And it's not just DC. It happens with Marvel projects as well. The actual creators are treated like crap. 

At the very least for say X-Men 97, I know that Larry Houston and the Lewalds are consulting on the show and they've been involved in the process from the beginning, even though they aren't the main creative team behind it. I think that's the right way to do it. 

I love Grant Morrison's Batman run and of all the highlights, by far the best was Batman and Robin for the chemistry between Dick Grayson as Batman and Damian Wayne as Robin. You have a happy go lucky Batman with a brooding Robin, a role reversal from the usual iteration of the characters. I prefer that combination by far to Bruce Wayne/Damian Wayne.

If DC didn't want Bruce Wayne as Batman to differentiate it from Matt Reeves/Robert Paterson, Dick Bats was the way to go. Bruce Wayne as Batman is too iconic not to use though.

I adore Batman and Robin #1-16. Need to re-read it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I kind of get not telling Warren Ellis, and I also get studios wanting to keep things close to the vest, but this happens a lot when these projects get made its kind of sad. And it's not just DC. It happens with Marvel projects as well. The actual creators are treated like crap. 

At the very least for say X-Men 97, I know that Larry Houston and the Lewalds are consulting on the show and they've been involved in the process from the beginning, even though they aren't the main creative team behind it. I think that's the right way to do it. 

Too bad Hitch isn't actually mad about it. He even tweeted out that he doesn't like people taking the tweet you posted and using it for their own purposes, like to bash DC or Gunn.

Recut trailer for Batman '89.

I'd say 8/10 for the re-cut.  To go the full modern treatment, it definitely needs a re-recorded version of a song.  (Though I fully get why they don't want to have to pay for a recorded version of something like... I dunno, "Violet" by Hole for a little Youtube video)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Recut trailer for Batman '89.

I'd say 8/10 for the re-cut.  To go the full modern treatment, it definitely needs a re-recorded version of a song.  (Though I fully get why they don't want to have to pay for a recorded version of something like... I dunno, "Violet" by Hole for a little Youtube video)

Batman (1966), Batman (1989)/Batman Returns (1992) and Batman: The Animated Series (1992) are why I'm the hardcore Batman fanboy you see before you. Great getting to see Batman four years ago for the 30th anniversary inside a cinema for the first time. Ditto for Batman Returns last year.

• Like 1

So James Gunn has announced the new DCU and of those, I'm interested in:

The Batman - Part II (2025). The Batman (2022) is in my top five Batman movies ever so I'm looking forward to see more of the world created by Matt Reeves/Robert Patterson. I was hoping we might get the sequel in 2024 but I'd rather have a three year wait providing it delivers as it's predecessor did. I'd like to see Mr. Freeze as the big bad here.

Brave and the Bold. This will introduce the DCU Batman and Robin: Bruce Wayne/Batman and Damian Wayne/Robin, his son. It'll be the first live action Robin since Batman and Robin (1997) and first live action appearance of Damian Wayne. Jake Gyllenhaal is my #1 pick for Batman by far. After him Michael Fassbender, Karl Urban or Jensen Ackles. Still give me Willem Dafoe as the Joker dammit.

As there's two Batman, the tone will be different to make both stand out when compared. Be interesting to see which villains will appear in one, both or neither. The Joker will be in both. Can't do Batman without the Joker.

I'm hoping to see the blue and grey Batsuit with the yellow oval and yellow capsule belt which Batman wore for a long time in the comic books. Better still, a live action Batsuit from Batman: The Animated Series. We haven't had the oval since the mentioned Batman and Robin.

Superman: Legacy (2025). A younger Superman. This needs to be done right. Superman should bring hope and optimism. Superman by Christopher Reeve is still the best to ever play the role then Superman in Superman and Lois by Tyler Hoechlin. Honourable mention to Brandon Routh.

Swamp Thing. In an ideal world, it's directed by Guillermo del Toro.

FozWk8aaAAArRTc?format=jpg&name=900x900

Fozol3RWIAAMsPZ?format=jpg&name=large

My Batman fandom born from Batman (1966), Batman (1989), Batman (1992) and Batman: The Animated Series (1992-1995). Watching these growing up made me the Batman fan I am today. I never expected to see Batman and Batman Returns at the cinema but thanks to the 30th anniversary of the former in 2019 and the latter in 2022, I was able.

Speaking of never, I never thought we'd see Michael Keaton return as Bruce Wayne/Batman as he is in The Flash (2023). That's the biggest draw to me because I've never liked Ezra Miller as Barry Allin/the Flash long before Miller's law troubles. Watching the trailer and Michael Keaton back in the Batsuit gave me a much needed smile after a difficult few days sorting my late great much missed Mum's belongings. It's a shame we never got Batman 3 with Michael Keaton/Tim Burton, losing out on more Michael Keaton in the cancelled Batgirl movie and allegedly in Aquaman in the Lost Kingdom (2023) also so I'll take this.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-shazam-fury-gods-doesn-143941195.html

This thing is gonna tank so hard. If they'd followed through on Mr. Mind I may have at least gone to see it once but I just have no interest in it, and that was before James Gunn killed the DCEU and Levi decided he wanted to alienate people with anti-vax bullshit.

• Like 1

Last I heard, the prediction for Shazam was for a $36/million opening weekend. A couple weeks earlier, the prediction was around $50 million and the same article implied that figure would be a disaster.

To me, the film looks very generic.  I didn’t like the first one, though, and was surprised it surprised it made a lot of money.  So what do I know?

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

The latest Shazam TV spot has a big spoiler that folks - including director David F. Sandberg - aren't too be pleased about. (That it was spoiled - I have no idea how folks would react one way or another)

In said TV spot

Spoiler

Gal Gadot returning as Wonder Woman for a cameo is shown