DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

New trailer for BEAU IS AFRAID

Early word is (and these are ALL positives):  this is an absolute hellride. Joaquin gives what might be the best performance of his life. It is the worst date movie of the year. And, Ari Aster has made another masterpiece. 

Premieres April 21

--

Mary Beth is the EIC of Dread Central.  I respect her horror pedigree and am looking forward to Beau is Afraid.

Anyone who hasn't watched Ari Aster's short movies really should check them out.  Most can be found on YouTube including the original version of Beau.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Okay...what movie is Joaquin Phoenix not in this year or next year? That might be a shorter list.

If Napoleon is portrayed as being short, I am going to be so mad

• Haha 2

Yesssss Fool's Paradise is finally coming out. I first heard about this one in late 2019 when it was originally called El Tonto. I never thought it would release. He shot the majority of the movie in 2019 and ran into some trouble with the original plot. He got some advice on tweaking it and did a bunch of reshoots in 2021. I thought it was in production hell and would never release. Might have to go see it in the theater just because I love Charlie Day so much.

• Like 1

It appears Oppenheimer is being delayed till the end of the year

This is based on a quote from the director of the Cannes Film Festival

After the Cannes Film Festival confirmed its initial 2023 lineup yesterday, festival director Thierry Fremaux talked to Variety about the first batch of announcements, which includes Wes Anderson’s Asteroid City and Zone Of Interest, Jonathan Glazer’s follow-up to Under The Skin. While more titles are yet to be announced, Oppenheimer won’t be one of them.

“I would have loved [that] but it’s being released at the end of the year as part of their awards strategy,” Fremaux says. “My two regrets this year are Oppenheimer and Barbie, but it won’t be ready either by May.”

It looks like someone might have spoken out of turn.

NOTE: Thierry Fremaux later clarified that “Oppenheimer” is still set for a July release.

https://variety.com/2023/film/global/thierry-fremaux-cannes-lineup-martin-scorsese-jonathan-glazer-maiwenn-1235582640/

Been waiting for this all week

Fightful Select is reporting that Cody Rhodes is interested in doing a Zelda movie. 

“Sources familiar with the situation claim that the WWE

WrestleMania main eventer made the most of this time in Los Angeles and had some meetings regarding potential roles in film and television. There was discussion of him being linked or particularly interested in the Johnny Cage role in an upcoming Mortal Kombat movie, which The Miz has also been angling for. There was also discussion regarding a connection to a potential upcoming Zelda film.”

• Like 1

Adrenaline, in my soul!   

Gannon's fucked! I'm Cody Rhodes!

---

Anyway, the live action Little Mermaid has a run time of 2:15.  That's 51 minutes longer than the original.  

I'm guessing they're adding that part of the story where Ariel tries to kill the prince but can't and dissolves into a semi-immortal foam!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Peter Pan trailer dropped, usual bitching from the usual suspects have commenced.

Is it just about the idea that these live-action remakes are pointless, or is there something else people are bitching about?

I was assuming it was because Tinkerbell wasn't white

Btw that is the most recent trailer for Peter Pan & Wendy so I am not sure if there is a third one that people are cranky about too

16 hours ago, Log said:

Oh, Jesus. I should’ve figured. 

It really does suck to see that people are outraged about something and be able to correctly assume it's probably because they cast a person of color in a role.

And yep, I should have figured too. That train ain't never late.

EDIT: I can't even begin to imagine the dumb outrage some people would have today for casting Michael Clark Duncan as the Kingpin.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 3

White Bird

Director: Mark Forster

Helen Mirren, Gillian Anderson, Bryce Gheisar

I know what you were all thinking. I really want to see a movie about the bully from the movie Wonder. Here ya go!

And that wasn't the only movie trailer I saw today that had Nazis in it

All the Light We Cannot See

Directed by Shawn Levy

Louis Hofmann, Lars Eidinger, Marion Bailey, with Hugh Laurie and Mark Ruffalo. And introducing newcomer Aria Mia Loberti.

Based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel

Sounds like the premise for a Pitch Meeting.

"So, you have a movie for me?"

"Yes sir I do! I was thinking we'd make a movie about the bully from movie Wonder!"

"Oh really?!"