DVDVR Message Board

R-Evolution III - 3/6/2022

1 minute ago, Cristobal said:

Man it was five hours including buy-in. I'm deadass tired and I watched the show on my couch

Yeah, they were nuclear hot for the first 2+ hours of the PPV, I thought they did alright considering the main event happened at the 4.5 hour mark overall.

• Like 3

Unpopular opinion, but actually liking Punk's current stuff, reminding me of the time when he was a legit bad person and an overrated wrestler kind of makes me hate him again.

10 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Last thought for the night: for all the grief we give AEW’s camera work at times, they absolutely nailed the angle for the Wardlow turn. Between that and both Wardlow and Punk slowing down just enough to let it sink in, that was expertly done. 

There were like two dozen shots in Punk/MJF that I would blow up and frame. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Regal showing up, while a major markout moment, was also a bit of a wtf. Could they not get anyone to catch up with him backstage to ask him how he was allowed to just walk out there?

He's William Goddamn Regal. He's allowed to walk wherever the hell he wants to walk.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

16 minutes ago, eikerir said:

Didn’t see a problem with the crowd at the end? They seemed to be having fun with all the Adam chants and were into the match the whole way.

After witnessing a burnt-as-shit crowd for more than a few AEW main events/last matches on the card, I was just happy they were making noise. This wasn't a Kenny vs. Christian II forgone conclusion thing and it very well could have been.

And do bear in mind, Orlando <3s Adam Cole. They've had a thing going on for awhile now.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

Good solid fun. 

Kingston vs Jericho was phenomenal work. Jericho proves he still has it by getting a half cheer to a full on boo. Eddie being Mr 90’s All Japan is always something I want to see. Duplexes for days. Kingston‘s raw emotion shined in this. The look of disappointment he had when the spinning back fist didn’t put him away is such a deeper reaction then the over the top shock. It was so subtle and felt. The announce team put the story of the match over so we’ll. When Kingston won, I was so happy. Jericho can live on as a heel and Eddie has his first big win. 

The tag title match was great. JRE’s biggest defense. The Bucks vs ReDragon doesn’t need the title and I’m happy it is developing. This was the best Luchasaurus has looked in AEW so far. His strikes looked solid and he came across as a beast. I’m a fan of Bobby Fish’s trash talking on the side of the ring at the beginning of the match. 

The Ladder match had me smiling the entire time. Orange Cassidy specifically had me laughing. One important note is that I loved how Stroke Daddy Jones and Hobbs never betrayed each other. Starks even pushed Hobbs out of the way of danger once. Even as heels they were buds. Taz was top notch.  Keith Lee is a super human. 

Jade Cargil and Tay Continue both have “it”. Two total stars. 

My son pooped during the dog collar so a missed half of it. Punk had great blood. I feel they could have used the collar more for violence. I don’t mind the face or the ring being used. But it seems the collar was second or third to those. But again, I missed a good portion of the match so my opinion doesn’t matter much on this. Wardlow looks like a million bucks. 

Mox vs Danielson was what I want in a wrestling match. Intense struggle during grapples and then stiff strikes. The finish was nifty, awkward, and I loved it. Regal coming out was a shock and I’m all for him managing this uneasy alliance. The slaps he gave!!!

Rosa vs Baker started good and had an awkward middle. Something didn’t click at times, but then they’d jump back into it. I enjoyed Brit having her number early with her getting the upper hand and I enjoyed the outsider interference. The issue was at times it felt like it was trying to tell both those stories at the same time and it didn’t click. I enjoyed the ending though. It’s tough to live up to the previous match and I had maybe too high of expectations. Hopefully the rematch is a wild cage match.

Speaking of wild, that trio was nuts. I felt that going with the Triple Threat on Rampage was a combination of having Sting on the POV and giving that match the proper time it would deserve. But honestly, this was on the PPV because it was bonkers! Great and worthy in its own right. Sting jumping off that stage. Ever cut went to something crazy. That was maybe my match of the night. I expected some fun character work and got ECW shenanigans. 

Loved the main event! A needed difference in match from the rest of the show. Felt like classic Main Event style. Cole wiggling out of Hangman’s dominance outside to get an upper hand. Then some good bomb throwing and close calls that actually tricked me. Hangman continuing his march as champion. A truly great title run so far.

JR was good today! Not grouchy. A few cute clubs but nothing bad. The whole team gave a big fight sports event feel and when the kookiness was needed we had zany ass Taz. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Octopus said:

One important note is that I loved how Stroke Daddy Jones and Hobbs never betrayed each other. Starks even pushed Hobbs out of the way of danger once. Even as heels they were buds. 

Forgot to mention this earlier, it’s a refreshing dynamic for two bad guys to be buddies at all times instead of the classic let’s just betray each other during the match cuz we’re evil. They even fist bumped before racing up the ladder.

• Like 5

While general public obviously have limited exposure to Punk, it is nice to see that his palette has been cleansed and that he did not finish his public career with the tail-end of the WWE run / UFC fiasco. An incredible personal rebuild.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Would have loved to been in Orlando for this, but damn this was an amazing show. I could just about give AEW a blank check for PPV's at this point and let them fill out wahetver amount they want. As usual, you have a little bit of something for everyone, and all of the key matches (save maybe Britt-Rosa) hit spectacularly. The opening two matches and Punk-MJF were my absolute favorites and easy match of the year candidates, but the 6 man, Moxley-Danielson, and the main event were all still damn good in their own right. Every AEW PPV truly feels like an all-star extraganza of top wrestlers. Their last five PPV's with full crowds (Revolution 2020, Double of Nothing, All Out, and Full Gear last year, and Revolution 2022) have all been great and the best streak of big shows that I can remember on American soil. Even though it's plenty popular and sustainable as is, I still think AEW's popularity could totally explode at some point as many other cultish favorites these days

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

Punk is crying at the press conference talking about how he’s happy Tony Khan bought ROH.

My second-biggest dig on this all-time-super-mega card is that the Orlando crowd didn't immediately melt for Miseria Cantare. #1 is JR's commentary through the first half of the show but I'm not gonna elaborate on either. The mood is positive.

I don't really know how AEW is gonna make any money by being a place that acknowledges that Golden Age RoH happened. But things like that entrance make me believe that we're gonna see stuff like Joe vs. Punk IV for the RoH Championship in a year, a Kings of Wrestling reunion, Danielson vs. KENTA at Hammerstein '22, whatever. And they might hit the casual market with absolutely no context, but the overwhelming passion of the performers and the quality of said history might just tap in to some mythological vibe vein that will transcend and persist. Here's to hoping.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 6