DVDVR Message Board

2022 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Broker

Song Kang-ho won Best Actor at Cannes for his role in this movie

Written and Directed by Hirokazu Koreeda

Technically not new but is getting a limited US release on Dec 26 

It should also be noted that Japan chose to submit Plan 75 instead of this for Best International Feature at the Oscars (take that for whatever it is worth)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It should also be noted that Japan chose to submit Plan 75 instead of this for Best International Feature at the Oscars (take that for whatever it is worth)

A bold choice since Plan 75 is probably the most scathing critique of Japanese society and government since Shin Godzilla and it also masquerades as entertainment.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Broker

Song Kang-ho won Best Actor at Cannes for his role in this movie

Written and Directed by Hirokazu Koreeda

Technically not new but is getting a limited US release on Dec 26 

Even though Koreeda is Japanese and up until fairly recently shot a good majority of his films in Japan, the cast is exclusively South Korean and shot pretty much in South Korea. So yeah, I doubt it would get submitted by Japan. I think the true story is South Korea going with Decision to Leave, which had a ton of Cannes buzz as well, It didn't win the Palme d'Or, but it did win Best Director. Tang Wei probably should be on the shortlist for Best Actress in a Leading Role as well as she is snatching damn near every major award in the country so far. AND SHE AIN'T EVEN KOREAN! 

And oh, this is Park Chan-wook's spiel a couple months ago after the film got submitted by South Korea:

Fe9ddy-WQAAbqzH?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Hoo Boy...

You People

Directed by Kenya Barris

Jonah Hill, Eddie Murphy, Nia Long, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, David Duchovny

Nice of Jonah Hill to basically show up dressed and looking like how he looks in public now. Props to the guy for losing weight and keeping it off, but he could dress and look like less of a rich douchebag, which, well, he probably is, but I'd hope he isn't.

Another thought about this trailer, I do quite enjoy Eddie and Nia looking like frustrated and annoyed parents so I may watch it just for that. I'm guessing JLD and Duchovny are going to be Jonah's wacky white parents and this is really all going to be a dumb remake of Meet the Parents/Fockers.

On 11/30/2022 at 5:25 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Avatar: The Way of Water will have a run time of 3 hours, 10 minutes.

My wife's family has a tradition of seeing a movie in theatres every year on Christmas Eve and every year the consensus pick is a movie I have no interest in.

I'm fucking praying I won't be dragged into the theatre to watch this. Hopefully I can scare them off with the runtime.

• Like 2

Champions

Directed by Bobby Farrelly

Woody Harrelson, Kaitlin Olson, Ernie Hudson, Cheech Marin

Based on just the trailer - Madison Tevlin will be the breakout star

• Like 2

Jason Reitman will not direct the Ghostbusters: Afterlife sequel. He will take on a writer-producer role for the sequel

The movie will be directed Gil Kenan (Monster House, the Poltergeist reboot)

On 12/5/2022 at 9:09 AM, hobo joe said:

My wife's family has a tradition of seeing a movie in theatres every year on Christmas Eve and every year the consensus pick is a movie I have no interest in.

I'm fucking praying I won't be dragged into the theatre to watch this. Hopefully I can scare them off with the runtime.

With that kind of runtime you could easily watch a different movie.

• Like 1

The Pale Blue Eye

Directed by Scott Cooper (Crazy Heart, Black Mass)

The cast is giant - the two most important pieces of info: Christian Bale and Harry Melling who is playing Edgar Allan Poe

• Like 1

Avatar is the Yngwie Malmsteen of movies for me. I can appreciate, and maybe even marvel at, the incredibly high level of technical expertise going on there.  But, there's no emotional investment for me.  I just can't bring myself to care.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I hope it makes three billion and we have to continue to put up with him. 

He's just going to take that money and build himself a submarine that can go deep enough in the ocean to find one of those portals from Pacific Rim.

• Like 2