DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage - 8/13/2021

I'm pumped for tonight. Less so All Out but let's see what they do here first. They took a situation that looks lose-lose and they have several interesting avenues they could go down. 

Edited by Jiji

They haven't really done this sort of finish before, but they could have Miro get disqualified for excessive violence, giving Fuego a win (and thus a contract) without the title. But I don't think they'd go that route based on how they've booked in the past.

- Disappointed that we had the same stage as Dynamite, was hoping for a different design.

- I enjoyed Henry on commentary and interviewing everyone, he came off well. But I could do without Jericho’s constant “shouting” every sentence on commentary (although the seemed to tone it down for the main event and was miles better).

- Opening match was excellent as expected and Kenny’s bump on that Killswitch on the chair looked like death. Interesting having OC in the background during Christian’s celebration.

- Fuego vs Miro was short and sweet and what it needed to be. But FUEGO IS ALL ELITE BABY, gotta admit I almost got teary  eyed when it was obvious Sammy/TK were gonna give him his contract. Awesome moment if you’re a fan of Sammy’s Vlog. The boyhood dream has come true… for Fuego del Sol.

- Britt came off like a star which I think was the main goal tonight , I just don’t care about Red Velvet at all, I find her whole presentation very forced/cringey. Really liked switching sides for the finisher. I enjoy that Britt seems to be a face to the crowd but she’s not really changed anything since winning the title and is still pretty much a dick to everyone.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Raziel said:

I'm just going to stick with my theory that the only way Kenny drops the Impact belt is if he FedEx's it back to D'Amore after the cross deal falls apart.  

But then again I'm a bit cynical.

Who needs FedEx? They're paying Christian and he always delivers. 

• Like 3

So, Kenny squashes the Impact champ, goes over 2 of their top guys, loses the belt to another AEW contracted wrestler, all without putting over ANYONE in Impact.  That's some Hogan/Trips level shit right there.

Oh, right, and he's going to get his win back in a couple weeks so we know who the big star really is.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 2

This company knows how to string it all together. Christian Cage in a high-stakes 15 minute TV match that put forward a pretty fuckin' high-risk booking idea and actually pulled it off, Kenny put the work in like he ought have and this opens up a ton of stories. Miro vs. Fuego was perfect and everybody got put over. Britt and Velvet probably don't have 80 matches between them but they ran a well-produced match that threw Face vs. Heel to the side and they made it work. This was a huge success.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 9

I love AEW so much.  I still am not fully on board with Christian winning for reasons I gave earlier but that was one killer match.  The other two were quite wonderful as well.  And yeah I follow Sammy's vlog so when Fuego got his contract it got pretty misty-eyed here.  Love the guy and he's proof that sometimes even in defeat the nice guy can win.  What a show!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Obviously they're adding juice to the ppv match, but I'm surprised. Omega hadn't lost a singles match in nearly 2 years, and the one to break that streak is Christian?

The big one is AEW... it's better to hold on to the main title and lose the secondaries first IMO

• Like 2