DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage - 8/13/2021

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
2 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I don’t think so, and unless Tony Khan wants the United Center burned down and to never be able to run a show in Chicago again, Punk is appearing on Friday.

Ah my mistake I didn't realize this Friday was in Chicago.

With the teases that AEW's managed to bring CM Punk after a seven year hiatus from wrestling, I think to a multiverse caused by Loki. One where CM Punk doesn't show despite all the hints he's signed. That would be the biggest example of not delivering what was expecting in wrestling history and how pissed people would be at AEW. Fucking fuming!

Edited by The Natural

I mean, if you think about it, the only "hint" that they've dropped was Darby doing that line about the best in the world. And I guess the production team lingering on CM Punk chants before and after the First Dance announcement. Punk has REALLY leaned into the teasing on social media about it, mainly Instagram, and he did drop a little "that fighter is all elite" during an MMA fight where he was doing commentary this past week. But, unless I'm missing something, that's it, and people are just assuming he's signed based on all of that + dirtsheet info. That's not a whole hell of a lot to go on.

Do I think he's signed? I'm not entirely sure if I'm being 100% honest. Do I hope he is? Absolutely. I'm cautiously optimistic, but if they manage to pull this off Friday night with basically vague Instagram story posts and ONE promo from Darby Allin, then maybe I can shed the pessimistic ex-WWE fan mindset that still plagues me years after I've stopped watching their shows on a weekly basis. I've been conditioned for constant letdowns or swerves, so... well, here's hoping is all I've got to say.

I will say this though: the people that are seriously banding about the idea/theory that he's only appearing to promote his role in Heels are certifiably insane. For one, his Ricky Rabies character doesn't even appear until the following week after the First Dance, and by all accounts it's maybe two or three episodes he's in. They wouldn't be running the fucking United Center and promoting a themed Rampage event for Punk to debut/return to promote a cameo on a Starz show, I know that much.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

I like CM Punk ever since his 2004 Ring of Honour trilogy with Samoa Joe, the 2005 Summer of Punk to WWE ECW, Punk winning world titles in the main roster, the Straight Edge Society, the pipe bomb promo, the amazing match with John Cena at Money in the Bank 2011 and the year plus long reign as WWE Champion. Something that he's coming back after leaving WWE in the manner he did in 2014 and never returned.

• Like 1

‘I think everyone knows what to expect’. Coach TK’s words verbatim on the Busted Open show. I think that’s the strongest evidence so far. The man does not play with fire like that if he is not going to meet expectations.

Yes he can be prone to hyperbole but the promotion tends to err towards ‘giving the people what they want’ rather than not. Like on Friday, signing a scrub with 1-40 record, thereby immediately going back on the stipulation to put smiles on everyone’s face. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I mean, if you think about it, the only "hint" that they've dropped was Darby doing that line about the best in the world. And I guess the production team lingering on CM Punk chants before and after the First Dance announcement. Punk has REALLY leaned into the teasing on social media about it, mainly Instagram, and he did drop a little "that fighter is all elite" during an MMA fight where he was doing commentary this past week. But, unless I'm missing something, that's it, and people are just assuming he's signed based on all of that + dirtsheet info. That's not a whole hell of a lot to go on.

Whenever Darby's on-screen now, Excalibur makes sure to shoehorn in "best in the world" somehow, so it's continued since the 8/20 announcement. Minor, but still.

I saw someone else make the point that AEW has TWO MORE shows in Chicago after this one, so if they don't want to kill the territory, Punk had better be there.

• Like 2

They're also calling the Chicago Rampage the 'must-see TV event of the year' or something similar. They're having their cake and eating it too- promoting the appearance to hopefully get a good rating, but still keeping it a surprise.

I hope they have someone else debut before Punk just to get the crowd riled up a little. Someone who's kind of a big deal but not really, a heel who can take some heat and get some mileage out of Punk stealing the thunder from his big debut. Not sure who that could be, but it would be fun.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

They're also calling the Chicago Rampage the 'must-see TV event of the year' or something similar. They're having their cake and eating it too- promoting the appearance to hopefully get a good rating, but still keeping it a surprise.

I hope they have someone else debut before Punk just to get the crowd riled up a little. Someone who's kind of a big deal but not really, a heel who can take some heat and get some mileage out of Punk stealing the thunder from his big debut. Not sure who that could be, but it would be fun.

Yeah, and just booking the United Center a couple of weeks before running 3 shows there and calling it, “The First Dance,” all imply he’s going to be there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I’ve seen a handful of Darby matches and that’s enough to know that he’ll make Punk’s shitty knees look great.

AEW Recommendations:

Darby Allin vs. Brian Cage. AEW Dynamite, 7th January 2021. Allin's best.

Darby Allin/Sting vs. Brian Cage/Ricky Starks. AEW Revolution 2021.

Darby Allin vs. John Silver. AEW Dynamite, 24th March 2021.

Darby Allin vs. Jungle Boy. AEW Dynamite, 21st April 2021.

Darby Allin vs. Miro. AEW Dynamite, 12th May 2021.

Darby Allin/Sting vs. Scorpio Sky/Ethan Page. AEW Double or Nothing 2021.

Edited by The Natural

Could Punk's appearance be the loudest pop in wrestling history? AEW fans are always 2-3x louder than they seem (5,000 fans sounds like 10,000) and with around 14,000 people in the United Center - in CM Punk's hometown - for WWE's rival promotion. This Friday could be one of those Stone Cold helping Mankind win the WWF Title moments that is replayed for YEARS to come (I mean it will be regardless, but this has the potential to be very very large).

• Like 2

If they want to do the tease for heat, you have Darby doing an in ring promo and get interrupted, by someone other than Punk. Then when Punk interrupts them, you get your super pop.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, AxB said:

If they want to do the tease for heat, you have Darby doing an in ring promo and get interrupted, by someone other than Punk. Then when Punk interrupts them, you get your super pop.

This is how they should do it.

• Like 2

I suggested last week Ethan Page and Scorpio take a couple sleeping aids after attacking Darby and Sting. Feels like a solid li'l debut. Doesn't have to say anything but you see him in action. Scorp will do a Rock sell on the go 2 sleep. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, AxB said:

16 minutes ago, Casey said:

This is how they should do it.

Thirded - hoping it's not just Scorpio/E Page, though their issue seems to be settled. Maybe the Bucks?

Edit: @Jijiwith the impeccable timing lol

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

It shouldn't be anybody major that would then be associated with the Darby/Punk stuff is my thought process. There's history there. If it's 2.0 lol, you're having Darby and Sting selling an ass beating for two job guys (who are great at what they would do). In reality it doesn't matter. I'm excited. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jiji said:

It shouldn't be anybody major that would then be associated with the Darby/Punk stuff is my thought process. There's history there. If it's 2.0 lol, you're having Darby and Sting selling an ass beating for two job guys (who are great at what they would do). In reality it doesn't matter. I'm excited. 

That makes sense to me, I can't fault that logic at all - I guess I was looking at it more like "This again?" than "They have history" but I also admittedly have not been real into heel Scorp, so I'm a little biased. But overall I now get where you're coming from

46 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Could Punk's appearance be the loudest pop in wrestling history? AEW fans are always 2-3x louder than they seem (5,000 fans sounds like 10,000) and with around 14,000 people in the United Center - in CM Punk's hometown - for WWE's rival promotion. This Friday could be one of those Stone Cold helping Mankind win the WWF Title moments that is replayed for YEARS to come (I mean it will be regardless, but this has the potential to be very very large).

There's a good chance. Loud wrestling pops would make for a fun topic. You've mentioned one of mine, Mankind beats the Rock for the WWF Championship on RAW with Steve Austin's interference. The other of mine:

Goosebumps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1