DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

42 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Redfall

This was the game from earlier that looked really cool but I had no fucking clue what was going on.

Basically this will be the vampire game that comes out before VtMB2

The amusing thing with this one is that the title has been known for a while now, but everyone assumed it was for Elder Scrolls 6

Kinda pleased no one spoiled the reveal of the X fridge for me.  Lol, that's my E3 moment so far.  

Xbox presentation was solid.  Lots of exclusives, lots of release dates.  Guessing late July - August will be packed.

Thinking about exclusives, I guess the better answer is that they're why I care about Xbox Studios, PlayStation Studios, Nintendo.  I mean, I have a lot of toys but they're just tools.  My iphone is just a phone.  My ipad is just a nifty laptop, etc.  There really isn't much difference between Series X and PS5 (or PS4 and Xbox One), and even Nintendo could build a Nintendo Pro on par with the Series X if it wanted.  So, without exclusives, I guess the consoles would just be tools and I'd buy the cheapest one or the one that was on sale or whatever.  Exclusives are why we get attached to these companies and watch these presentations and argue about who is better.  If the software libraries were basically the same, we'd be walking into Best Buy and saying "Eh, give me the red one."

I don't really want to support a company that's just trying to sell me a piece of hardware and not at least trying to develop their own games, or form relationships with indies or whatever.  That might just be me, though.

Still unreasonanbly hyped for the X fridge.

Maybe I’m just getting old, but I simply can’t get hyped for game trailers that don’t show gameplay anymore.  So pretty much all the big Bethesda trailers bounced right off me.

Though I appreciated THE OUTER WORLDS 2 being upfront about having nothing to show and having fun with it.

• Like 3

I hope that Outer Worlds doesn’t fall into the trap of just making everything…more. Part of the charm of that game for me is that it wasn’t likely to take 100 hours to get through. Like sure, they’ve earned a bigger game, but I would still like to see it be somewhat contained. 

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Maybe I’m just getting old, but I simply can’t get hyped for game trailers that don’t show gameplay anymore.  So pretty much all the big Bethesda trailers bounced right off me.

I try not to get excited about anything until it has a firm release date.  Preferably one no more than a couple months out.

• Like 1

I love trailers and enjoyed a lot of what I've seen so far, but seeing "2022" makes me sigh as there is a 50% chance that will turn into 2023 and who knows if I'll even be alive then. So its hard to get too hyped. Anything in 2021 I stay excited about though.

I watched the Microsoft E3 on Waypoint Twitch and everyone lost their shit about Contraband due to the choice of music for the trailer.

And Stalker 2 having Leon S. Kennedy speaking Russian in the trailer. And his saying "I'll protect her." We knows that Leon is going to rescue Ashley!

Strangers In Paradise Final Fantasy Origin is the most 'eh' I've ever been towards a trailer. It's like looking at Japanese games during PS3/360 gen like Quantum Theory, Anarchy Reigns, and DMC Devil May Cry and thinking, "Oh yeah, we need something like that for the PS5/XB1 gen." The hero looks like he blew his budget on the sword but had to go to Walmart for his wardrobe.

And Microsoft's plans for Halo Infinite really scare me again about the quality of the game. We'll probably get the multiplayer in the fall/winter/holiday 2021 but I think single player campaign will get delayed or worse -- missions will be piecemealed or slowly become available.

Edited by Andrew POE!

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

You can only play as Star Lord. Not gone down well.

I saw the gameplay right after. It doesn't look bad though not necessarily for me. I'm surprised they went the route of only having Quill playable. That just doesn't seem like the best idea. Even if they have him as the focus from the story side, I see no reason why they couldn't have people take control of other characters during combat.

I was talking to Matt about the design choices for the characters. Not only they understandably not on model of the actors, but I didn't even recognize that Gamora design. 

That said, it was nice they interviewed Abnett for the package I saw. I hope they got him to write the game. 

Can't see the Guardians of the Galaxy game doing well critically or financially coming from the same team as Avengers. People have long memories. How do you squander the Avengers license so badly? Thank God for Rocksteady on Batman and Insomniac Games' Spider-Man even though I've never played the latter but would like to. I've enjoyed the videos I've seen from it.

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Can't see the Guardians of the Galaxy game doing well critically or financially coming from the same team as Avengers.

Guardians is being done by Eidos Montreal. Crystal Dynamics did Avengers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew POE! said:

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties is apparently coming to PS4/PS5, Xbox One/Series X, and Switch. In 2021.

When shitposting goes too far.

The comedy bits of the LRG presentation were pretty bad, but the fact that we're getting (a) a River City Girls 2, (b) an enhanced port of Kuniotachi no Banka, a PS4 verion of the one good Bloodrayne game, AND a real, official Turboduo CD release of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (with all the classic TG16 branding, which has been absent for physical Genesis, Game Boy, etc. repro carts) blew my mind and my wallet.  Also, I guess I'm finally getting SUPERHOT on Switch to go with the PC, PS4, Oculus and Stadia digital versions (all but the PS4 and Oculus were bought on super deep discount but it's legit my favorite indie game of the last 5 years)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

The comedy bits of the LRG presentation were pretty bad

Lol, One of the side benefits of going almost completely digital is that I don't have to deal with LRG or watch their terrible E3 presentations.

Honestly, all attempts at humor in these E3 presentations have fallen flat for me.  I really wanted to turn off - or at least mute - the Future Games Show to avoid the forced attempts at humor between Troy Baker and Laura Bailey.  And I feel like I've watched a presentation with them before (E3 2019 maybe) and had the same reaction for the same reason.  The Devolver Digital presentation was goofy and didn't work for me.  The PC Gamer presentation had a female host reporting from what was supposed to be the cockpit of a mech suit.  Ugh.  I just want people to come out, act laid back but professional, and let the games mostly speak for themselves.  Is that too much to ask?

Really curious to see what Nintendo does tomorrow.  They've been kinda quiet lately.  I was expecting a fairly good slate from them tomorrow to coincide with the Switch Pro announcement, but.... no Switch Pro announcement, so I dunno.  Hoping we at least get a Zelda remaster or four that most of us actually want.

At the moment, my prediction for Nintendo is Doug Bowser takes the stage, shows 20 min of Pong, then pulls out a fiddle and does a surprisingly decent cover of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia".  Asks us to have a safe drive home.

Edited by Eoae