DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'm beginning to think Microsoft really cares more about getting shit onto Gamepass and using that to move systems than getting that one killer app.

This wasn't obvious? I'm not even sure its to move systems. They would have Gamepass on the PS5 in a heartbeat if Sony was willing.

So Outer Worlds 2 is this year's "We are making the game but it won't be out for 5 years but we decided to fuck around and announce it anyway"

• Like 1

Interesting little tidbit - apparently Microsoft/Xbox cleared all the licensed music in the stream for a year so that the streamers wouldn't have to deal with (in theory) copyright claims

29 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

No chance Halo Infinite makes that Holiday 2021 timeframe

I have a better chance of going out on a date with Hannah John-Kamen.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'm beginning to think Microsoft really cares more about getting shit onto Gamepass and using that to move systems than getting that one killer app.

It has to be a better strategy than competing with Sony for exclusives.   Concede that battle and build up the Gamepass library to keep your players playing.

I've got no idea why people worry about exclusives anyway.  At some point in the lifecycle, console prices become affordable and people will buy the console they didn't buy the first time around and indulge in the exclusives of the other console.  

Edited by J.T.

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I've got no idea why people worry about exclusives anyway.  At some point in the lifecycle, console prices become affordable and people will buy the console they didn't buy the first time around and indulge in the exclusives of the other console.

Well because affordable is different for some people, and it is sometimes a matter of pride. Perhaps a company wronged them in the past and they want to make sure they never give them money or at least avoid it as much as possible.

Forza Horizon 5 looks friggin’ STUNNING. 

Solid lineup. Out of those 30 games, I’m interested in at least trying out like 25 of them. Not a bad wheat to chaff ratio there. 

27 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I've got all three current gen consoles (Switch, PS5, Series X) and don't really have much of a preference between them and I still prefer exclusives.  I don't really want to fan console wars, because I mostly think console fanboyism is absurd, but I dig exclusives. 

Why I want exclusives is a little murkier.  I guess I like seeing a console maker to developing its own ips and stable of developers?  I dunno, maybe its a habit left over from the consoles I played when I was young, but exclusives are the main selling point of a console to me.  I really don't want Mario games on Xbox or God of War on Switch.

I do realize there are a lot of good arguments for multi-platform releases, starting with the fact that lots of people can't/don't want to afford multiple consoles.,

The irony is that, at the moment, Series X is my favorite console and Microsoft is leading the charge towards cloud-based gaming and subscription services and has had the smallest, possibly least interesting list of exclusives.  But, as much as I like Xbox, I'm not a fanboy.  My preference in consoles shifts every so often.  Microsoft has won the hardware battle with me and I generally prefer their philosophy, but Nintendo and Sony deliver the games Xbox doesn't.

Off to watch the Microsoft presser (was busy earlier).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Starfield trailer is up on the Washington Post for some reason but I am not sure if it is out in the wild yet

Release date is 11/11/22

18 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Square had to remove the music from their OWN FUCKING GAME FOR THE E3 TRAILER BECAUSE OF DMCA.

To be fair - the Square stream itself still has the music

It just most of the streaming sites are using the DMCA free version (since E3 sent out that threatening email) so most people are seeing the totally silent feed

Redfall

This was the game from earlier that looked really cool but I had no fucking clue what was going on.

Basically this will be the vampire game that comes out before VtMB2

33 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Mass Effect Guardians seems cool.  Although I'm concerned about some of that performance tanking.

Yeah, that framerate looked rough, and that is in a promotion video. I don't want to think how bad this will look on a real life system, especially on a PS4.