DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

If they were to make it a sequel series set in the current day, they'd need to age up some of the actors or at least change their look. Spoilers for a finale that first aired sixteen(~1) years ago:

Spoiler

The first death in the closing montage takes place in 2025. This dude still looks like Dexter.

six_feet_under-photofest_still-h_2019_.j

Squidbillies series finale 

Spoiler

I suppose it was, anyway. Haven't been following the last couple episodes due to my schedule and haven't even caught up to them on the DVR yet. Anyway, it seemed like a fine ending to me. Their dedication to Jesco White tells me (even more, after watching The Wonderful World of the Whites) that he's a decent man caught up in a fog of poverty and addiction. They couldn't save Hinson, and probably didn't try because why, but they saved the series. 

Joe Pera season finale

Spoiler

This one I have watched literally none of though we've talked about it. I cried over this one. Something so simple can be so grand, and so incredibly positive, even though they test the dark strings below with comedy. I love Joe Pera. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Jrag said:

Jeremy Strong really may be the best actor going right now. The intensity of his performance tonight. Whew.

Incredible show. Incredible finale. Maybe the best episode in the shows entire run.

Yeah, that episode absolutely floored me. This season was hit and miss, but these last couple of episodes were all timers.

• Like 3

On 12/10/2021 at 2:21 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Nothing ever just going the fuck away is looking like a pretty good proposition for Mikey Hall lately.

Honestly, why touch something that ended so beautifully and perfectly?

• Like 3

On 12/13/2021 at 1:18 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Joe Pera season finale

Reveal hidden contents

This one I have watched literally none of though we've talked about it. I cried over this one. Something so simple can be so grand, and so incredibly positive, even though they test the dark strings below with comedy. I love Joe Pera. 

I just can't get enough of Joe Pera.  I watch it and marvel at the fact that something like that is even on my tv.  Like, it's too sweet and pure to be out there.  I love it so much.  I love that it's so slow and thoughtful.  I really can't emphasize how good this show makes me feel.

• Like 3

The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window

Is there really enough of these type of movies to warrant a parody already? I can only think of The Girl on the Train and The Woman in the Window.

Apparently it isn't a "parody"

https://www.cinemablend.com/streaming-news/why-kristen-bells-new-netflix-show-isnt-a-parody-despite-its-ridiculous-name

The satirical series, whose name was originally just The Woman in the House, seems like it’s a spoof of Netflix Original film The Woman in the Window, based on the book of the same name. However, co-creator and co-showrunner Rachel Ramras tells EW just what they are really doing with the series:

I don't think we are making fun of any of these books, or the movie version of these books. We are having fun with the genre, as opposed to making fun of the genre.

I mean that is really picking some fucking nits to be all "actually it is a satirical series not a parody"

Anyway - honestly - with how popular murder podcasts are with women - I am surprised there aren't more things like this.

And Jeff Garlin is leaving The Goldbergs following "multiple misconduct allegations and HR investigations."

The veteran comedian addressed some of the accusations and confirmed that he had been the subject of HR probes in an extensive interview with Vanity Fair‘s Maureen Ryan this month, in which he also denied speculation that he has been fired from the show.

Following the VF interview, Deadline was contacted by a number of current and former co-workers of Garlin. Speaking on condition of anonymity over fear of retribution, they spoke of a great work environment on the show, which would change dramatically on the days Garlin is on set.

“He is extremely verbally and emotionally abusive,” a Goldbergs employee told Deadline.

In his VF interview, Garlin dismissed accusations of being verbally offensive by saying that he is just being “silly” as part of his shtick as a comedian. He did note his penchant for dropping the word “vagina” on the set.

https://deadline.com/2021/12/jeff-garlin-exit-the-goldbergs-hr-investigations-season-9-1234892030/

It should be pretty easy to write him off, just have his restaurant move or go out of business and bring in a new antagonist.  Could be a fun opportunity with someone new.

The question is how do you keep Jimmy Jr?

8 hours ago, Zimbra said:

It should be pretty easy to write him off, just have his restaurant move or go out of business and bring in a new antagonist.  Could be a fun opportunity with someone new.

And Ollie and Andy!

James

The other day I noticed that Hulu now has all four seasons of Picket Fences streaming.  If anyone hasn't ever seen the show, I highly recommend it. It's been impossible to find for years, you couldn't even buy seasons 2-4 on Amazon. 
I dove back into it and it's just as good as I remembered. It's one of the best casts in TV history, in my opinion. Ray Walston as Judge Bone remains one of my favorite performances ever.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zimbra said:

My guess is they'll re-cast Jimmy Sr.  He's essentially a sideways Joe Piscopo and it's not like there aren't a thousand guys they can't bring in for that. 

Next to last episode of this season of Wheel of Time came out yesterday, and it's easily the best one they've done.  The good thing about this series is that its own Jon Snow reveal moment is front-loaded relative to the books, so they took a big swing and rolled out a pretty nice version of a book event that's only ever truly alluded to, rather than directly described, pretty much the series' equivalent of Ned fighting Arthur Dayne.  It's clear the producers are hoping people see the similarity and give the show a chance and that that scene is enough to hook some casuals.  It's grown on me more than I expected, and they did cut down a LOT of unnecessary bullshit, so hopefully Amazon keeps throwing more money at it.

You know, that or treating their employees like humans.  One or the other.