DVDVR Message Board

JustJay

I have decided that axe handles send better messages than shotguns.  You need to kill the alpha male up close and let the little boys see the splatter on your hands and face.

Fear of the unknown will keep them in line.

You understand me.

We all understand you.

My oldest just started 3rd grade today. I don't want high school to happen for a long, long, time...........  Though it is only 6 more years :(

My family went from a squad of four to a battalion of six recently with the addition of two more foster children.  Now with 16, 14, 7 and 2 year old, I think I may have been driven into the winds of madness.  This must be how HP Lovecraft felt.

So we had a nice family vacation.  I got to spend tons of time with my daughter, which was absolutely amazing.  One morning we were horsing around and I gave her Elmo doll a DDT.  She loved it, so of course like any good dad I did it ad nausea for the next 30 minutes.  Every time I did it I yelled out "DDT!", so now my beautiful 22 month old daughter walks around yelling "DDT!" 20 times a day.  I was pretty proud of her, but her mom just doesn't get it.  

No....you're getting "dad" in your old age. Happens to all of us. Welcome to the club. I'll be the fucking viking spear chief looking dude crying in the corner as his oldest starts high school...

• Like 3

So yeah, when there is an active shooter on the army base you work on and the MP's give the all clear signal, the first person you need to call is your kid and tell her that everything is okay.

Glad that my shift is turing out to be nice and boring..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So we had a nice family vacation.  I got to spend tons of time with my daughter, which was absolutely amazing.  One morning we were horsing around and I gave her Elmo doll a DDT.  She loved it, so of course like any good dad I did it ad nausea for the next 30 minutes.  Every time I did it I yelled out "DDT!", so now my beautiful 22 month old daughter walks around yelling "DDT!" 20 times a day.  I was pretty proud of her, but her mom just doesn't get it.  

I've got baby C doing the delirious BAH BAH BAH routine while alternatively pogo-ing and running her buggy around the kitchen.

Its utterly brilliant.

My second son is 12 weeks. Last night we went the whole night on one diaper. This week he's pissed and poo'd in the potty more than his diaper.

Elimination. Communication.

3 months?!? Had I not just googled it, I would think it unbelievable.  Nice Job, Brock!

This week he's pissed and poo'd in the potty more than his diaper.

Most of us on the board did this without feeling the need to brag about it.

Trust me.  These are the things you brag about to everyone, including strangers.  When my kid got to the point where she made it through a whole week going to the potty like normal, my ex-wife and I actually threw a party for my daughter.

Positive reinforcement is key.

What Ramsey said.   Changing diapers is easy.   My kid is in Middle School now and she is on an Advanced Studies track.  I am not looking forward to helping with Algebra or giving my thoughts about Silas Marner.

I'm a ways off from those types of concerns, so I'm busy being intimidated by all the newborn stuff, and all the shit that everybody's convinced babies need.  Anyway, my wife and I have both had so much advanced math and science training that there won't be much schoolwork we can't handle.  Teaching him to do what's right, on the other hand, scares the shit out of me.

I'm a ways off from those types of concerns, so I'm busy being intimidated by all the newborn stuff, and all the shit that everybody's convinced babies need.  Anyway, my wife and I have both had so much advanced math and science training that there won't be much schoolwork we can't handle.  Teaching him to do what's right, on the other hand, scares the shit out of me.

Kids learn by example. They see you do the right thing, they'll want to impress you by following suit. Be a good man and before you know it, you'll find you're raising good kids. Show me a shitty kid, and I'll show you shitty parents.

• Like 2

I have a daughter that just turned three.  When it comes to potty training, she has #2 down pat, but #1 remains a mixed bag.  Family history reveals that such training takes slightly longer than normal, but it eventually clicks in the child's brain.

Today was her first "KinderGym" gymnastics class.  Eight three-year-olds learning about motor skills, balance, etc. through using gymnastics equipment.  As soon as daughter walked to the gym mat, she paid immediate attention to the instructors, stayed in line with her classmates and was generally on her best behavior.  Why can't she do that at home? :)

Next week is her first ballet class.  I'll miss taking her as I start my work day around the time of her class (early afternoon).  First trip to the school saw her focused on the mini-snack area near the register.  I predict 50 cent box of animal crackers on the way home after each class. 

And so we've had our first concerning talk from the nursery - apparently she told another kid to shut up as well as one of the carers.

I know for 100% certain we haven't said it - now I'm pissed to find out who has been saying shut up in her vicinity.

I bought a Mountain Bike. Now it turns out that they're one of those things where you buy it on Wednesday, but you can't actually have it until Friday, and the shop is like 5 miles from my house. So I says to Xav, we've got three choices. I can wait until Monday and pick it up when you're at school. Or we can catch a bus down on Saturday and I'll ride back while you walk. Or I'll walk while you ride down, and we'll both ride back.

He chose the third option. He wore out on the way back, and ended up walking his bike up the hill at the end. He was knackered on Saturday evening. I was fine. Not what he was expecting ;)