DVDVR Message Board

JustJay

• 2 weeks later...

I had to subscribe to Netflix just so I could get my tv and dvd player back.  My daughter is in full-blown Equestria Girls and Rainbow Rock phase.  Imagine yourself at Toys R' Us, roaming aimlessly thru the aisles before finally asking one of the workers, that you need help finding the Pinky Pie doll.  This was my Christmas.

• Like 1

My daughter told my wife she wanted her hair like Princess Layla (Leia). I'm winning as a dad! :-D

My daughter has asked me to buy all three seasons of Veronica Mars on DVD after we watched the movie on HBO two weekends ago..

I am also winning as a dad!

My son is one so he is at that cute age where his head spins round and round and he sleeps levitating three feet over his crib.  Plus he says the cutest things like "Some day your life force will sustain my flesh" and "My true name would terrify and befuddle you."

They grow up so fast guys.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

With school letting out next week, I got good news about how well my daughter is progressing, and her therapist says that if we can continue at this rate, she's gonna be a fully-functional kid.  Her mom and I decided to put her in the extended school program so that she doesn't regress over the summer which is cool, because she doesn't have a problem with it.  For the first time in awhile, I feel like I'm winning as a dad:

11200576_10206044415285980_1120801563015

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome news MADCAP. 

My oldest just went through third grade and will start fourth next year. She also turned 9 earlier this month.

Fuck, where does time go. It doesn't seem but a couple years ago she was this lil girl but she is just getting older(she'll always be my little rock star princess, no matter what!). You blink and it all flies by as a parent. Cherish all the time you all have with your kids and with your parents as well since they have gone through everything you are going through now. 

• Like 1

My girlfriend / hopefully soon to be fiance as soon as we quit buying furniture and I can afford a ring have finally moved into our new townhouse.  I am stoked that my kid will finally have her own room under the roof I put over her head.   No more sleeping in the main bedroom while I crash on the futon in the spare room of an apartment.

• Like 3

I had a interesting situation recently as my son (10 1/2) asked to see Jurassic World

It was the first time the had asked to see a movie that I didn't have an immediate answer for... basically the first time he wanted to see a PG-13 movie we hadn't seen ourselves before (he had watched some Harry Potters but we knew the content of those since my wife and I had already seen them). Since in the past it had always been the cartoony Dreamworks/Pixar things so it was easy for me to so yes (or no depending on if I wanted to subject myself to it).

Now - in this specific instance - we reminded him that he got scared when he tried to watch Jurassic Park last year and he agreed. I then dug deeper and was able to pinpoint the real reason he wanted to see Jurassic World was because "the guy has raptors as pets".

After telling him there would be a Lego Jurassic game and he could just see it that way - he was totally cool with not seeing the movie.

I couldn't believe I have reached this point as a parent already. I am fucking old.

• Like 1

So this is not just a dad zone for being a parent, but also being a son, right?

My dad's confided in me that he's petrified of turning 60 tomorrow. He's scared of his inevitable downturn and mental/physical decline.

His father died at 48 after a combine harvester repair accident (yes, it apparently did look like an MKX fatality) so he's got no grounding on how he's supposed to be/act.

He had a heard attack at 37 in the middle of a squash court, and he's turned his life around since the, but he's still petrified of old age/retirement/drinking himself to death/dying in general. He got glasses a few years ago and he thinks he's ready for the knackers yard.

I told him that he is going to turn 60 and that he's going to go on. But he's not going to do it alone. He's got his girlfriend, he's got me and my family, he's got my sister, and he's got baby C...mainly to teach her how to play golf and be her caddy. 

He's counting down his time in paycheques - he honestly thinks he's not going to be a valid member of society once he's retired. fatalistic approach but for a dour scotsman that's standard, i suppose...

wrapping his birthday presents in paper from the shady pines retirement home was probably a bad idea...

My 2 and a half year old daughter has been up all night coughing for literally 2 weeks.  She started pre-school in November and has battled off illnesses on and off since that time.  Her pediatrician told us the same thing every time we called or brought her in to the office.  "It's viral, not asthma, nothing serious.  Give her Benadryll at night so she can sleep."  My wife literally begged him to do more, but he kept coming back with this diagnosis.  Of course, we trusted him and have always felt comfortable with his assessments.  Finally she made an appointment with a pulmonologist who diagnosed my daughter with severe bronchitis, pediatric asthma, and a lung infection.  She is not on all sorts of medication, anti-biotics, and a steroid.   Her condition has improved, but the meds make her all kinds of hyper, and I feel like if the pediatrician would have look a bit deeper weeks ago, we would not be in this situation.  Either way my daughter has been amazing.  She is still a sweet, funny, smart, curious, and active little girl.  Needless to say we changed pediatricians.  Anyway, I am thankful everyday that both my kids are healthy and happy.  My heart goes out to kids and parents who deal with serious health issues everyday.  I've been working hard lately, and I've been on the road a lot.  My wife has been amazing handling a 2 and a half year old and a 6 month old.  This weekend I'm home, and I plan to spend all my time with my wife and kids.  Thanks for letting me vent this out.  The frustration was at a boiling point and this helped relieve some of the pressure.  

• Like 4

Xav turned 11 ten days ago. He's gotten obsessed with cars in the last few years, so his Grandma bought him a driving lesson (there's a firm that does that, for kids 11-16, on private roads and things). It was in the Car Park of the Bentley factory in Crewe, Cheshire. Which is next to the Bentley showroom, obviously. He loved that. Best birthday ever. Or course, now his Mum wants to take him for a second lesson, because she wasn't there during the first one and wants to see him driving with her own two eyes. So he might be going again soon.

Did I mention that I've never had a driving lesson in my life, and don't really care about cars at all? Because that's true. My 11 year old son is officially better at driving than I am.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank God that my youngest (1 and half years old) loves Sesame Street. She has learned so much from it. She can say fully the A.B.C.'s though she kinds butchers the l-m-n-o-p part. She can though pick up and mostly any part and finish the rest of the A.B.C.'s. At least it isn't always Caillou and Pinky Dinky Doo like it was with my oldest. At least I can stand some of Sesame Street. 

A big ol FUUUUUCCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUU to the chicken pox. Our 10 month old somehow contracted this and the last two days and nights have been pure hell. Having a newborn is easier than this. Ughhhh. This sucks so much