DVDVR Message Board

JustJay

Shes 2, so havent yet tried her on hip hop. The missus lets me listen to Jurassic5 in the car, before C was born. I was huge into busta rhymes/flipmode before we got together - she tried listening to it and couldnt understand it. chacun a son gout.

As for C's taste in music - she likes a bit of rock. ZZTop, like her old man. she likes the radio, for whatevers on. Quite likes the danse macabre piece of classical music.

Weirdly, she's quite into a bit of drum n bass. I was a huge raver in my youth having the exodus crew on my doorstep, and have kept up with a few DJs mixtapes. Andy C releases a "nightlife" mixtape every year and C likes the more mellow dnb. She listened to "afterglow" by Wilkinson one afternoon for about an hour. 

Nothing to heavy or industrial. and put on very quietly as well. she was so entranced by the drop at about 30 seconds in, she was jumping like a loon. and the string bit at about 1 minute 5, she was swaying, hands in the air moment...

I'm trying to let her feel her own way around her likes and dislikes. If she wants to be a belieber, or a directioner, I'll be disappointed and invest in headphones for her. and tell her about the beatles or sringsteen. 

Since my kid has speech issues, she doesn't sing that well.  I say this because as we were driving one day Katy Perry's "Monster" came on and sure enough, I hear her tiny voice singing along.  In a weird way, it's times like that that give me a little relief that she can't recite the lyrics clearly.  My heart couldn't take it right now... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If any of you have sons, probably best not to let them know about a youtube channel called FPS Russia. It might seem like a good idea, but it's not.

Guest The Magnificent 7

My 5 year old and his older brother battle for the puck yesterday behind the coach's back.  Ya gotta do what ya gotta do when you're the younger brother.  Sorry for the shakiness but I was laughing my ass off. 

My 5 year old and his older brother battle for the puck yesterday behind the coach's back.  Ya gotta do what ya gotta do when you're the younger brother.  Sorry for the shakiness but I was laughing my ass off. 

What is so damned funny?  The youngster got side control and took the older boy's back almost effortlessly.  I'd score that round 10-8 in his favor.

Uh, oh.   That was hockey wasn't it?  That wasn't BJJ.

Nevermind...

So my 2 year old daughter was taking a bath, I left to go charge my phone, walked back into the bathroom and there's a giant turd just sitting there in all it's glory. So I sit her on the toilet while I clean out the tub, I finally clean it out, as she's standing waiting to get back in the tub, she decides NOW she has to pee. Ah daddy's little princess.

• Like 1

Had something similar. Kid is three, was in big girl underwear for five days. Come home from work, start to eat dinner and my wife yells that she peed all over her chair. I jump up and when I grab her to take her upstairs notice a bad bad smell.

Put her in bathtub, take off pants and undies and a softball sized ball of crap just plops down. Wife starts to lose it as she can't handle terrible smells as I grab it with toilet paper and toss it in the toilet. Good times

• 2 weeks later...

My kids watch Disney Jr all the time.  So, one of the shows has a character coming for a special event, that's being voiced by Mark Hamill, doing *that* voice.

My 6 year old daughter looks at me and says "How is Jake going to stop the Joker without Batman?"

I think I succedded somewhere.

Tough day yesterday - everything was all mummy. anything daddy did, baby c ran into the other room. mummy did toilet time, food, nappy changes, books, colouring in, painting, the lot.

Mrs Red found it funny, but tiring. Mr Red just found it slightly depressing.

It has been bittersweet for the past few days.  My girlfriend / borderline fiance are going through a rough patch and my kid has heard me on the phone with her during some particularly heated conversations.  As most of you know, my woman and I are trying to get a townhouse together but that deal may go up in flames if we decide to part company.

I desperately want this to work out because I love my girlfriend even though she drives me batshit insane and I also want to get this house built so that I can really say that my kid has her own room in a house I'm paying on.  This apartment bloom is slowly falling from the rose.

My daughter texted me yesterday to tell me that she is good with whatever decision I make, but she thinks that my girlfriend and I should part ways and try to be friends.

Why?  Because my kid does not want me to be angry and unhappy and she knows that unresolved issues will only get worse once we are all under the same roof.  My kid wants me to think of my feelings first before I make a decision about which way to go.

Out of the mouths of babes.  If only it were that easy to only enter my own feelings into the equation.  God bless my kid for wanting me to do for myself first, but that is never a luxury open to Dad.

Your daughter is right.  Once she goes to college, you're the one who has to live with the decisions you've made.  She'll have to directly work with those choices for 7-8 years.  You have to do so for a lifetime.  Always consider your daughter, but you have to be happy with the direction you take.

But at the same time, your daughter clearly has picked up on certain vibes with you and your GF.  Even if she doesn't ever say so, your daughter doesn't want that drama around her.  She doesn't want to spend her high school years in a home where others are on edge.  Even if things calm down, there will be doubt and concern for her.  Because she may like everyone else involved, but she loves you.

Whatever comes of this, be proud that your daughter is a perceptive and even-keeled person.

Yeah, I know she's right Burg, but I am one of those hopeful and dumb optimists that endures to see whether or not the light at the end of the tunnel is the dawn or an oncoming train.

I want this to work out, but divorce has taught me to divest quickly when things turn sour.  I have a lot of years invested in this relationship; I don't want anyone to feel like they've wasted their time pouring their love down a well.

I on the other hand wake up every night to shouts at 3 am on the monitor of "Where's Daddy? Daddy? Where are you daddy?" which then leads to me waking up with a crink in my back at 5:48 as my alarm goes off on the floor upstairs. there are a hell of a lot of worse fates though.

Yeah, I know she's right Burg, but I am one of those hopeful and dumb optimists that endures to see whether or not the light at the end of the tunnel is the dawn or an oncoming train.

I want this to work out, but divorce has taught me to divest quickly when things turn sour.  I have a lot of years invested in this relationship; I don't want anyone to feel like they've wasted their time pouring their love down a well.

Whatever comes of this just know

• 1 month later...

Moving this from the Movie thread since it's broader:

PHIL said:

I think I ended up watching Mr. Peabody & Sherman 4 times since that was my son's go to. Thankfully it's barely 90 minutes long.

I love the original cartoon but couldn't bring myself to even watch the movie with my kid. Looked like a lot of stupid fart jokes and poochie style dancing. 

One thing I will say about my parenting style is that I don't think the twelve year old has, through the last 7-9 years I've lived with him, subjected us to anything we REALLY didn't want to watch over and over again or even anything I'd consider "of low creative quality." Maybe one and done, in and out, but there is just such accessibility to things right now. We have just about every Miyazaki on DVD, as well as the first three seasons of the Muppet Show and seasons of Ducktales and Danger Mouse and inspector Gadget and Gargoyles and Batman: TAS and Justice League and Avatar: the Last Airbender and Doctor Who on netflix and whatever else. And he's watched Macross and the first few Gundam shows and Gaogaigar and I made him watch the damn things subtitled which was a bigger deal a few years ago when he was getting into reading more. Now he's into Doctor Who and Flash and we'll probably start him on Leverage or Babylon 5 or something else along those lines soon. He's never seen any of those live action Disney shows for tweens where all the adults look like idiots all the time. My kid just doesn't have enough time to watch all the things we DO have let alone stuff that looks terrible. 

Now the 2 year old basically has a direct feed of Disney Junior into her head, but we're on the Brian Fowler level of being disney nuts so we're generally okay with that (I have a friend who is so anti gendered anything that she convinced her 2 year old that Ariel was named sally the mermaid and isn't a disney character or something). Even then we can't stand Elmo so she's never seen an episode of modern Sesame Street, for instance, and we do a pretty good job of rotating things so she's not watching the same episode of anything single show and over again. (we try to limit tv time in general, but we're not miracle workers). 

We're just in an age where there is SO much that can be watched and it's so easy to find. It's not like when I was a kid when you were really ruled by what was on TV. In some ways that kind of makes me sad because I came to appreciate old Hanna Barbara cartoons a lot more because they were what was syndicated on USA on Sunday mornings and literally the only cartoons on that morning in 1989 or whatever (There's no way that the 12 year old was just going to find episodes of Jabberjaw on his own a few years ago for instance), but it's probably for the best.