DVDVR Message Board

JustJay

A big ol FUUUUUCCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUU to the chicken pox. Our 10 month old somehow contracted this and the last two days and nights have been pure hell. Having a newborn is easier than this. Ughhhh. This sucks so much

Sorry to hear about that, Monte.  Baths tend to soothe the itching lesions.  I think my kid stayed in the tub when she had Chickenpox.

For your sake, I hope you have had your vaccinations or have had Chickenpox before.  My daughter gave them to my ex-wife.  Not fun.

Thanks guys. Little guy slowly getting better. Two days of hell, but oatmeal baths, a lot of calamine lotion, and lots of snuggles have helped. He's on the mend and close to being his old self again. Everybody has their vaccinations (and the autisim that obviously go along with that), so we're good there. Honestly, even though it sucked so hard, I think it was better than perhaps having a toddler going through it. Now it's out of the way and we don't need to worry about it ever again

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My little guy is going to be one year old in just a couple of weeks. I can't believe it! We just did our first photoshoot with him a few days ago for his One Year Birthday, and here are a few of my favorites

NSPD8t9.jpg

More under the cut

beCOl8k.jpg

8e0859J.jpg

OwUaewb.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

My wife is nine months pregnant with our second, and we are pretty geeked about starting over with the new baby. Riley is 6, and he is super into being a big brother soon. Amanda is due 1/21, but she is of the idea that Wesley is going to be with us sooner than that. Her doc told her that she could start labor any time between Christmas day and the first week of February. 

That will be the last addition to our family, unless we meet an orphan with a heart of gold or something.

• Like 4

The wife and I got a call from our five year old's Kindergarten teacher, telling us that the school psychologist wants to do some testing with her. She's always been very shy (when she's not at home) and reserved. But, she's gotten into this rut where she either can't or just won't tell people what she wants (again, not at home). She'll just tell her teacher that she needs to do something, and when she asks what, Cady will answer "I don't know." and an hour later she has an accident because Cady wouldn't just tell her she had to go potty.

We're still discussing it. Right now she gets speech therapy three times a week to try to get her out of her shell. The wife wants to keep that up, and just let her progress at her own level. I don't think there's anything wrong with the actual testing being done. If they come back and say that she seems to exhibit some form of Autism and want her sent to another school or anything, as her parents we can tell them no, we want her kept where she is. We just don't want her to be stuck with a label.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

My one year old son managed to give me a bloody nose for the second time this morning.  Still hurts like hell 4 hours later.  God thing is it seems like I took the brunt of it, and he's fine.

I keep telling him the diving headbutt will shorten his wrestling career, but he won't listen to the old man.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to offer a giant fuck you to teething pain.  My son is cutting at least 3 teeth right now, including a couple molars.  We've basically given up on our usual routines, and are basically doing whatever we can to avoid him being miserable.  The first half a dozen were a picnic compared to this time.

• 2 weeks later...

My girls are all about the New Day! Every morning, when I'm watching TV before getting my six year old ready for school, she wants to know she can watch the Booty Wrestlers. They keep telling my wife that they need Booty O's for breakfast because 'They make sure you aint Booty!'

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Two more reasons my six year old is awesome.

1. She was playing with her Elsa from Frozen Teddy Bear, and started making it slap at condiment packets that the and wife and I left on the table the night before. I asked what she was doing, and she tells me that "Elsa is hitting the sauce!"  She learned this because the bear has a gizmo that sings when you squeeze the belly and it needs new batteries, so it's way slow and deep, and the wife told me that it sounds like Elsa is hitting the sauce.

2. We let her take the wife's ipod to bed, because she likes to listen to music to go to sleep (I'm the same way), and we can send her messages to the ipd, usually stuff like "Brush your teeth, or "turn it down." Well. she sent one to us last night that said "They make sure you aint booty"

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hear ya, Marty.  My daughter is 13 going on 14 so I am having to deal with the early teen years / almost to High School stuff now.  It is tough because my kid is already very reserved and has grown up with the dysfunction of divorced parents as her normal.  Add teen angst to that and you have me really having to up my parental game these days. 

Lots of positive reinforcement and lots of questions about boys and stuff.  I am already prepared to have my ex-wife dump "the talk" into my lap, but I am strangely good with that.

My six year old has picked up a language issue. It started with her saying "What the hell" which the wife didn't think was a problem, although I disagreed. Then it turned into "What the fuck?" Which we both had a big problem with. After several days of reprimands, threats of spankings, threats of loss of privileges, loss of said privileges, and threats of soap in the mouth, the wife decided enough was enough. She put pepper on her tongue! Two rounds of that ended "WTF" but then Sunday she started with "Oh shit!" and after several warnings, she got another helping of it tonight.  The last thing she told me tonight was that she wasn't going to say anymore bad words. I hope it sticks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

My six year old has picked up a language issue. It started with her saying "What the hell" which the wife didn't think was a problem, although I disagreed. Then it turned into "What the fuck?" Which we both had a big problem with. After several days of reprimands, threats of spankings, threats of loss of privileges, loss of said privileges, and threats of soap in the mouth, the wife decided enough was enough. She put pepper on her tongue! Two rounds of that ended "WTF" but then Sunday she started with "Oh shit!" and after several warnings, she got another helping of it tonight.  The last thing she told me tonight was that she wasn't going to say anymore bad words. I hope it sticks.

My two and a half year old told me he wasn't going to out on his "God Damn Pajamas" last night.

Reminder that I need to watch the language around him a bit better.  Hard to no sell it when I wanted to bust out laughing.

• Like 4

Yeah, my daughter used a bad word once when she was about seven years old, but a word to the wise was sufficient and I couldn't be too angry at her because I knew that she probably heard that word from either me or her mother.  If I want her to behave properly, I have to behave properly.

*car swerves in front of my truck on the highway*

My kid:  Hey, Dad!  Did you see that crazy asshole?

Me:  Yes, I did.  And please don't use that word anymore, okay?

My kid: Okay.

Me: And I will try harder not to say that word around you either.  Deal.

My kid: (smiles) Deal.

Kids respect you more when you hold yourself accountable to the same standards you expect of them.  I still swear like a sailor sometimes, but never around my daughter.  I am the boss of me and I am responsible for my attitude.  I lead from the front.  I set the example that MUST be followed.

• Like 1

I swear in front of my kids because I was pretty much born with a trucker mouth, and they don't swear at all. The oldest just won't, and the little one asks permission, with humorous results:

T: Can I say the "S-word" dad?

Me: Sure

T: (giggling) Shit!

T: Now can I say the "C-Word"?

Me: Excuse me?

T: Crap?

Me: (relieved) Yes, sure. Go nuts.

• Like 2

I'm lucky that I have some time before language will be an issue, and I might change my mind on my approach to it by the time I have to actually deal. Right now, my general thought is that I'll explain to her that there are some words people just don't use in polite society and don't find acceptable, and that she has to respect that and respect her friends' parents by not using those words around other kids as it may influence them. If she wants to say them at home around me I won't care, and as best as I can I won't slip up too much around her. 

Both my wife and I have the filthiest of filthy mouths, and our 7 year old has only used a curse word on a handful of occasions, and mostly when he's trying to make up rhymes and doesn't realize that you can't use an F sound when you are trying to rhyme truck or luck. He gives us a ton of guff about the cursing, but he knows not to use those words.  Personally, I don't care one iota about what words someone uses, but I understand and try to respect other people's boundaries, and we teach him the same.

• Like 2

At our home I don't cuss a lot though the wife does. To me they aren't bad words but words can be bad, it is all in the connotation. The only words we reprimand is anything with hate like speech. My now 10 year old says some cuss words here and there. The 2 year old doesn't at all. They know that when out in public and at other people's homes that certain words shouldn't be said and they always respect others boundaries.