DVDVR Message Board

JustJay

Three weeks ago I joined the Dad ranks. Meet Simon Lucas

Hello, kid. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. On the outside, you’ve got a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of: ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’

• Like 2

Hello, kid. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. On the outside, you’ve got a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of: ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’

Easily my favorite Kurt Vonnegut quote. Every time I meet a brand new human, I think of this one.

Easily my favorite Kurt Vonnegut quote. Every time I meet a brand new human, I think of this one.

I am a Hoober-Bloob Highway man myself.

• Like 1

I said that when I saw my godchild for the first time. I received strange looks from the baby, its parents and my girlfriend.

Is it weird that we don't have birthday parties?

I don't celebrate my birthday, so I don't really care about having parties. Me and my eldest son share the same birthday, so we just chill out, go to the Brew Prub, and he gets some cake. Maybe my wife's sister stops by and gives a present.

Conversely - she's coming up on 2 on the second (holyshitimthedadofatwoyearold) and we're having a small party, with peppa pig (oink) cake.

I think birthdays will get more festive as she gets older and realises it's her day.

I just take the day off from work and then play vidyagames.

sorted.

I stood in my office for two minutes waiting for my son to walk down the hallway so I could surprise superkick him.

I haven't surprise attacked my kid since I taught her how to throw a proper inside leg kick.  She could probably blow my knee out if she kicked me as hard as she could.

I got a call from the principle's office of her school a few months ago to find that my child had kicked some boy in the shin and made him cry. 

It was later discovered that the lad tried to take my daughter's lunch money first by threat and then by force and the asshole paid the price.

Bullies are cowards that will snitch faster than the usual tattletale.  I did not punish my child.  We got victory slurpees after I picked her up from school.

• Like 1

I had my 14 year old daughter as my guest on my weekly podcast. I'm a proud dad as it is but when I started getting comments from regulars complimenting her on how articulate and intelligent she came across, well, the room was dusty...

• Like 3

I love my daughter to death, but yesterday I think she broke the record for how many times she could say "daddy" in one day.  It got to the point where I told her: "look, just call me Dude from now on"...

We have shortend my official title to "Dad."

That's sort of how I pronounce 'da-ddy.'  It has more to do with being a proper miss with good ennunciation skills than anything.

You've got a budding LaRue on your hands!  Congratulations.  She will provide years of above-average grades with an irreverent outlook on societal norms and a polite indifference to the feelings of her parents. :lol:

• Like 1

What makes it more irritating is that she pronounces "daddy" with an English accent ala Peppa Pig.  Kind of like "da-ddy"...  and I think she's doing it to screw with me! :rolleyes:

My kid just turned three and she uses words she picks up from that show and I am like NO IT IS NOT A SITTING ROOM IT IS A LIVING ROOM THIS IS AMERICAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Our language - you fucking broke it.

;)

We're now onto "music daddy" as soon as the car starts. The child has no patience.

I run my car like Jason Statham does his in the Transporter movies.  I have rules:

1. Respect Dad's car and Dad will respect you.

1a. It is Dad's car and Dad is driving.  Dad picks the radio station.

1b. If you want to listen to something else. ask Dad.  Dad will usually say Yes, but reserves the right to say No.

2.  Greet your father when entering the car.  He is your dad.

3. Seat Belt.

• Like 1

"Music Daddy"

"Be patient Caitlyn, the car's radio is starting up. You'll get your music in a second or two.

...we arrive at our destination.

"come on the poppet, time to get out"

"be patient, daddy"

Ayup. thats come back to bit me in the ass. Wouldn't have it any other way.

• Like 1

What kind of music does your kid like best?  When my daughter was six, I was pleased to see that she responded best to my A Tribe Called Quest / Greatest Hits CD.

I must've listened to

on endless loop when I was driving from when she was about age four until she was nine or ten.

Then it was the Pharcyde:

and Danger Doom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7pSzCoFuk4

She has good taste in Hip Hop.  JUST LIKE HER OLD MAN~!

• Like 1