DVDVR Message Board

JustJay

C'mon guys, sixty ain't nothing but a number (eyes July calendar nervously).

Seriously, as the late, great Leroy "Satchel" Paige said "Age ain't nothin' but  a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind then it don't matter."

• Like 1

Right there with you guys re: gonna be OLD when my kid graduates high school/starts college.  I'm glad I have a tattoo with her date of birth on it; it'll come in handy when the age-related memory loss starts setting in.

Oh who am I kidding?  It comes in handy now.

• Like 2

So yeah, my daughter is headed to Costa Rica for Spring Break with her advanced Spanish class.

This will be me for the next few days.

ZIKA, SUNBURN, DYSENTERY, OH MY GOD~!!!! DID YOU PACK HAND SANITISER~???

If anything happens to my kid while she's down there, this will be me immediately after hearing about it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2017 at 3:41 PM, Neil Koch said:

I'll be joining the club in October.  I'll be 60 when my kid graduates.  Fuuuuuuuuck.  At least I'll be a good age to be a Wal-Mart greeter to pay for the kid's textbooks in college.

And JT, sorry to hear about your ex.  My stepson went through cancer treatment (including a surgery that removed 3 of his ribs) last year.  It's a really horrible thing to go through.

I'm going to be 55 when my kid graduates high school.

I was 29 when Xavi was born. And it's odd, because it always used to be everyone would have kids in their 20s, but now everyone either has them as a teenager, or when they're over 30 (sometimes well over). So I'll only be 47 when he turns 18. In five years (and a month and a half).

I'm 48 now so I will be 52 when my kid graduates High School and I will be pushing sixty when she matriculates from college.  I will be the ripe old age of a hundred and ninety five when I finally have her student loans paid off.

My kid got back from Costa Rica on Sunday tanned and enriched from her international experience.  I'm happy because I didn't have to travel to Latin America to commit any murders on her behalf.

• Like 4

College loans, my own college experience vs what I'm doing now, and the costs vs benefits in general have me thinking I'll tell my daughter that it's cool if she doesn't want to go to college.  Shit, the world needs mechanics more than it needs English majors.  Then again, who knows what the educational system will look like in 15 years?

• Like 2

Also, my daughter's first soccer game of the season was yesterday.  It will be a bittersweet experience because it's the last time she'll play with that bunch of girls since they're all headed to different high schools in Autumn.

Our side lost a heartbreaker but at least my kid put a girl from the other team on the deck when she tried to trap the ball and foot foul my young' un.  If we can't score points, we'll take body parts.

I was very proud of my daughter until it dawned on me that the girl on the ground with a nose full of grass was someone else's child.  I need to reel in my fatherly sports pride a little.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

College loans, my own college experience vs what I'm doing now, and the costs vs benefits in general have me thinking I'll tell my daughter that it's cool if she doesn't want to go to college.  Shit, the world needs mechanics more than it needs English majors.  Then again, who knows what the educational system will look like in 15 years?

I've told my kid to figure out what she wants to do make a plan that supports her goals.  If she wants to be POTUS, fine.  If she wants to run a chain of beauty salons, I'm good with that, too.

All I ask for is an token assistant manger position in her business organization so that I can collect a regular paycheck or a job with the State Department during her administration so that I can travel to other countries on the government's dime.

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:30 AM, Roman said:

I thought you'd appreciate this:

How awesome is that father?  His creativity shames my own.

I can barely pick out colors for birthday parties. 

No way could I come up with something that ingenious and plan it out.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I've told my kid to figure out what she wants to do make a plan that supports her goals.  If she wants to be POTUS, fine.  If she wants to run a chain of beauty salons, I'm good with that, too.

All I ask for is an token assistant manger position in her business organization so that I can collect a regular paycheck or a job with the State Department during her administration so that I can travel to other countries on the government's dime.

Dont you want to run DARPA or be the US version of Q? 

16 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Dont you want to run DARPA or be the US version of Q? 

I am not smart enough to run DARPA but it would be awesome to be the lead field tester.

My 2 year old son has hit the point where he wants to call everything by its name, but can't always say the words.  So George turns into Derge, and Barbara has become YaYa.  The younger of my two dogs is named Cooper.  My son now calls him Coo-Coo Poo-Poo.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 0:12 PM, Technico Support said:

Unless my kid has a specific goal with college (ie, wants to become a doctor, lawyer, etc) I won't be encouraging them to go to one.  Way too many useless humanities, English, or (like I have) art degrees out there.  The whole socialization aspect and learning to live on your own is great, but not really worth $50K a year. 

• Like 1

I am not really all that down on the Liberal Arts.  Part of the point of going to college is learning the research method aka figuring things out on your own.

I certainly believe that STEM leads to solid job leads and TBH I'd prefer it if my daughter went into something like Engineering or Computer Science, but majors like English and Philosophy also lend themselves to study of Logical Order or they will lead students to hone very practical skills like public speaking, so IMO it is important that students buy into the corny but true "learning ls a life long process" stuff that college professors drum into your head.

• Like 1

My daughter got into every college she applied to and was very much excited about the prospect of going away to school, specifically to Buffalo State. However, her entire high school career has been a roller coaster of poor decision making and not living up to potential via general laziness or the aforementioned poor choices. Including bombing out on her recent report card and repeatedly either missing or being late to her first class of the day despite it not starting until 10:30 AM! That along with the continued handing in of homework/projects late has damaged her average in other classes as well.

So for once my wife, ex-wife, and I all agree on something, that her going away to school has all the makings of an absolute disaster. Which, as we've all mentioned in this thread, is a severe loss of hard earned money. On Sunday the ex and I met with her at a diner and explained to her that we could not, in good conscience, support her going away to school. She was devastated, understandably so, despite the fact that the school she will be going to was always her #2 school and a great school, John Jay. We also told her that if she kills it in her first year, we will support her if she then wants to transfer to Buffalo. 

She mainly just wants to get out of the town she has grown up in, she lives with her mom during the week, and it is not really about the school. Since she came out as bi in seventh grade there has been a stigma around her (her school is 7-12) and she has had a difficult time. We explained that she will most likely not see these folks anymore after graduation and that going to school in Manhattan will be a completely different thing for her and away from all these narrow minded assclowns. 

By the time I headed home she seemed to be doing better and the ex says that there has been no further fallout. I feel bad, but at the same time, with her current behavior, I just feel like being away at school she would be so much more concerned with being social and partying than actually going to class. And that by giving her a goal, to do well and then have the ability to transfer, we have given her something tangible to aspire to. I mean, one of three things will happen:

1. She does well, loves it there, and stays all four years.
2. She does well, but still wants to go away and transfers to Buffalo.
3. She totally shits the bed out of STILL making bad choices or spite and flunks out. 

On top of all this the Mrs. and I are seriously considering having another child and feel like we need to shit or get off the pot as she's 38 and our other daughter is already 2 1/2 and we don't want them to be too far apart.

Thanks for letting me get all this out...haven't talked much about my older daughter's issues as I don't want to embarrass her & the baby thing is still in the thinking stage so it's under wraps as well.

• Like 6

We're probably going to go the 2 year community college, 2 year state college route with the 15 year old (my stepson). He's very smart, gets decent (honor roll except for Spanish this year because he was never taught how to memorize things) grades, has lots of extra curriculars, tests extremely well. I had a wonderful experience in an expensive 4 year college. I picked up a BA and 2 Masters in 5 years basically. I also have 25K in loans still, 13 years later. My Masters have more than paid for themselves at this point (one I got for my senior year for almost nothing. the other cost more but I got it in the UK in one year). The loans aren't too bad because you can deduct the interest but it's still a hit and it will be for years and years to come. My big worry is that if we go this route, he'll lose interest in the first two years and never make the transfer to the state school. But he came extremely young for my wife, and then we moved in together when he was 5 so we just never really had the ability to save a lot of money in that regard. We were always getting on our feet. now we have the 5 year old as well. He wants to do some sort of engineering and is both attuned to math/science and skilled in it (while not having a bad background in the humanities because we forced a lot of reading on him, plus he plays the violin/draws/does tech crew for the plays, etc.). We're in one of the best school systems in the country and he has so many opportunities in high school (you should see the classes he has available to him. It's insane). I just worry about affording that transition and don't want to saddle him completely with loans, but I also don't want to cut off his opportunities moving forward. 

• Like 4