DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Yeah, Bobby gets a lot of praise around the internet, but when he had to work with someone other than Monsoon he really struggled. Ventura on the other hand could work with the worst, and the best and make them all sound like all time great commentary teams. Monsoon, Vince, Mean Gean, Schivonnie, and Jim Ross all benefited when working with Ventura. 

Gonzalez, how could you?  Ratings went way up with Lawler.

I don't know why people view it as a personal attack on Bobby. Bobby is unbelievably great but I think Ventura is just a little bit better...  Watch a show like WrestleMania V. It's not a great card but Ventura's commentary alone makes every match worth watching. He's on fire the whole night. He brought the realism. He put over EVERYONE...  He played favorites but he always made sure to call it down the middle enough so that his word can be taken seriously.

• Like 2

I love both guys but I like Jesse just a little bit better:

1)  His commentary was more honest and biting.  There are things he would say to Vince's face on commentary in the 80s that there is zero chance would be allowed to be said in today's world without getting a reprimand. He just sounded so much more unscripted than Bobby.

2)  There's a lot less Jesse out there than Heenan, so I tend to be more appreciative of his appearances.  Between Prime Time, Challenge, RAW, then Nitro and Thunder, Bobby was on at least three hours a week most weeks from about 1986 to 2000.  Jesse in his heyday only had Superstars and the monthly SNME in a four year span.

On The hair/mullet front, I wish I had a pic of scott Armstrong as Dixie Dynamite because that permed mullet of his was fuckin epic!

James

EDIT: Holy Crap! Im' watching lots of SMW and it is just the land of the Mullet! Tim Horner is business in th front but the back is less a party in the back and more a damned RAVE!

On The hair/mullet front, I wish I had a pic of scott Armstrong as Dixie Dynamite because that permed mullet of his was fuckin epic!

James

EDIT: Holy Crap! Im' watching lots of SMW and it is just the land of the Mullet! Tim Horner is business in th front but the back is less a party in the back and more a damned RAVE!

Even the referees had mullets, as I remember Mark Curtis rocking one as well.

I think Chris Hamrick is still rocking one.

It didnt help Heenan that Schivonie had aperantly never seen Heenans schtick before, and instead of going with it would shoot Heenan down and was all annoyed. Late WCW Schivonie was the biggest baby.

Didn't Schivonie work with Heenan in the WWF?

Even so, outside of Monsoon(Who knew how to work with heel characters) Heenan wasn't very good with others like McMahon, or Mooney.

Seriously listen to this, and tell me Ventura wasn't better than Heenan again...

...And people here dropping the Rumble. Fine that was a great commentary moment. It was like the pro wrestling equivalent of putting a live mic on an NFL coach. But that still doesn't top doesn't stuff like The Mega Powers exploding, Hogan Vs. Savage, the twin referees, and Hogan Vs. Andre.

Face it Bobby was just a jokey guy who added nothing to commentary most of the time. That's why his best stuff will always be as a manager, or on the comedy centric Prime Time Wrestling.

• Like 1

Heenan and Vince were fine.  Not nearly as dynamic as Monsoon and Bobby, but fine.

I think Tony and Bobby were fine in 94-95, maybe even into 96.  But the more WCW became a nightmare, the less of a shit Bobby gave, and the more of a pure corporate shill Tony gave, until they became fucking terrible together.

Ventura was a dominant personality so it did not matter who he worked with..  he could pull them into what he was doing. He makes everyone around him better. He and Gorilla were a great team but I feel Ventura with whoever is automatically 'good'

Someone asked for a match.. Lets stick with WrestleMania V for right now. Ventura's commentary from the introductions of Hogan, Macho and Liz right up until the finish is 10/10.

The problems with Heenan and Schiavone in WCW is the same problem that happened to nearly everyone; they stopped really giving a fuck after Starrcade '97. I can't pinpoint an exact time everyone stopped caring but Sting, Luger, Heenan, Schiavone, etc all stopped giving a shit and seemingly checked out mentally at around the same time. I can't blame them because it seems like WCW crushed everyone's spirit by the end. I think Heenan is the best ever but oddly enough I think Schiavone was much better with Ventura.

I think people probably took it personally because there's an awful lot of wrestling fans who grew up with Heenan and Monsoon and are incredibly attached to Bobby.

Brian, it's interesting you mention outrage at the champ coming out first as something you got from Ventura. I'm the same way except I got it from Ventura calling the Flair/Windham match where Windham was a surprise opponent brought in by Col. Parker.

Heenan was a lot of fun on the WCW syndicated shows and good with Vince and Ross

They were terrible together. You can tell Ross hated working with him because he would derail his play-by-play, and Heenan hated working with him because he ignored his jokes.