Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK


Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

How many people here have stopped watching WWE altogether? Stopped subscribing to the network? I'm curious.

Deleting Facebook has done me wonders mentally, and I'm sure not watching WWE anymore has helped as well. That sounds self-righteous, I know. It is true, though. 

In the Plague Times, I have a whole lot of time to spend watching pro wrestling. I watch New Japan. I binged on the G1, and loved it. I watch AEW. I have time to keep up with BTE, skim Dark and follow some of their other assorted web content. All of that helps me enjoy Dynamite and the PPVs even more, and it helps the various story lines make more sense. I just love AEW and New Japan. It makes me happy to watch their stuff.

There's also an endless amount of stuff to watch online, and there are some excellent curated lists on this very site such as the Wrestling Machines, Blood Sucking Freaks, and Clubberin' threads.

There is more good stuff out there from current NOAH, All Japan, DDT etc etc... French Catch, '89 All Japan, various indies... a bottomless cornucopia of classic matches... even with my Covid-mandated extra free time, I can't possibly keep up with it all.

You want self-righteous? How about this: Why, oh why, does anyone still bother watching WWE? Troll-style booking, asinine stories, that unbearably manic in-house editing style, and the knowledge that you are supporting that absolute soulless monster Vince McMahon? There are SO MANY far better options. Even though Bryan Danielson still works there, I can't even be bothered to hate watch current WWE.

I will check out the very very very occasional YouTube clip (such as the El Gran Gordo thing) if a friend specifically recommends it. I'll enjoy a classic WWF match or two on YouTube or dailymotion from time to time if I get the itch. You couldn't pay me to sit through an entire hour of their current programming. Not even RumbleMania season can draw me back in any more. 

I also sincerely believe I am much happier for it.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

In the Plague Times, I have a whole lot of time to spend watching pro wrestling. I watch New Japan. I binged on the G1, and loved it. I watch AEW. I have time to keep up with BTE, skim Dark and follow some of their other assorted web content. All of that helps me enjoy Dynamite and the PPVs even more, and it helps the various story lines make more sense. I just love AEW and New Japan. It makes me happy to watch their stuff.

There's also an endless amount of stuff to watch online, and there are some excellent curated lists on this very site such as the Wrestling Machines, Blood Sucking Freaks, and Clubberin' threads.

There is more good stuff out there from current NOAH, All Japan, DDT etc etc... French Catch, '89 All Japan, various indies... a bottomless cornucopia of classic matches... even with my Covid-mandated extra free time, I can't possibly keep up with it all.

You want self-righteous? How about this: Why, oh why, does anyone still bother watching WWE? Troll-style booking, asinine stories, that unbearably manic in-house editing style, and the knowledge that you are supporting that absolute soulless monster Vince McMahon? There are SO MANY far better options. Even though Bryan Danielson still works there, I can't even be bothered to hate watch current WWE.

I will check out the very very very occasional YouTube clip (such as the El Gran Gordo thing) if a friend specifically recommends it. I'll enjoy a classic WWF match or two on YouTube or dailymotion from time to time if I get the itch. You couldn't pay me to sit through an entire hour of their current programming. Not even RumbleMania season can draw me back in any more. 

I also sincerely believe I am much happier for it.

I hear what you are saying and appreciate it, but I'll just watch some Young Stallions' matches, freak out over both of their physiques and Paul Roma's dropkicks, have another sip of my quadruple Gin and Tonic and not be bothered with the awful stuff!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This was the first Rumble I skipped since the 90s. Even when I quit from 07-11 I'd still stream it somewhere (pre-Network)

Yeah, I used to love the Rumble, and I may one day learn to love it again. Kana and Shinsuke winning at the '18 Rumble was the last time that watching WWE made me feel really happy. Before that... maybe Bryan coming out on top at WM XXX?? 

I guess over the years there has been a lot to enjoy, it's just not for me any more. 

@ShartnadoI can absolutely see keeping a Network subscription for easy access to high-quality vids of all the older stuff. 

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, El Gran Gordi said:

Yeah, I used to love the Rumble, and I may one day learn to love it again. Kana and Shinsuke winning at the '18 Rumble was the last time that watching WWE made me feel really happy. Before that... maybe Bryan coming out on top at WM XXX?? 

I guess over the years there has been a lot to enjoy, it's just not for me any more. 

It's too much shit to wade through for the few bright spots. 

On the real though, I will 100% sign up for the Network again if they put up the old WCW C-shows and WWF syndicated/weekend shows I want to see. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And Gordi, back in 1994 NJPW on Euro Sport as "Ring Warriors" changed EVERYTHING for me at the time! First episode, first match, Black Tiger (Eddy) vs Jushin Liger! Nothing was the same after that. Then, I got old.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

We got Dish. I don't pay for anything they put out, and don't even watch it most of the time, because it's terrible.

And why should you? Everyone should only watch what they actually get JOY from watching. Hate-watching anything is such an utopian concept to me, although I'm fully aware it happens... a lot!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

How many people here have stopped watching WWE altogether? Stopped subscribing to the network? I'm curious.

Deleting Facebook has done me wonders mentally, and I'm sure not watching WWE anymore has helped as well. That sounds self-righteous, I know. It is true, though. 

I stopped watching the weekly shows years ago. The last events I watched were Mania and the MitB matches.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I anticipate the classic content each month way more than I should. Some months such as Prime Time Wrestling, ECW Super shows, WCW TV have been incredible. I've been cool with the WWF Superstars also.  But the Velocity, Confidential, has been meh especially with so much more that could and should be added.  Having said that I anxiously await the November upload and pray for something good. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

And why should you? Everyone should only watch what they actually get JOY from watching. Hate-watching anything is such an utopian concept to me, although I'm fully aware it happens... a lot!

It’s like, I don’t care for hockey. I’ve tried to get into it and it’s just not for me. So there’s no way in hell I’m going to watch it every week yelling “this shit sucks man!” And I’m certainly not going to a hockey message board and telling everyone they’re a bunch of losers for liking it. Just doesn’t make any sense. Fortunately there’s 1 million entertainment options and we can all find something we enjoy. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, matt925 said:

It’s like, I don’t care for hockey. I’ve tried to get into it and it’s just not for me. So there’s no way in hell I’m going to watch it every week yelling “this shit sucks man!” And I’m certainly not going to a hockey message board and telling everyone they’re a bunch of losers for liking it. Just doesn’t make any sense. Fortunately there’s 1 million entertainment options and we can all find something we enjoy. 

And it's like I don't like Hockey! And everyone (aside from my wife and myself) loves Hockey in Finland! I get your point, but the point of your point gets me!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I deleted Facebook when the pandemic started and cancelled my Network subscription not too long after Money in the Bank. If I really need anything those websites provided I can find them another way. I don't think I ever hate-watched WWE, I held out hope for far too long that I would be able to watch some of my faves in decent programs and there were always hints at greatness but after a while it became clear that nothing anyone does in WWE matters week to week. Then I kept the Network for NXT but when they went head to head with AEW I could only watch NXT if I had time which led to me just not watching NXT. So I'm back to checking out random matches if you all say they were good (or really bad). My only interest in WWE these days is how they're going to book the Royal Rumble, especially the next one given the 'demic.

This time I tuned back in to see Daniel Bryan in WWE starting around the Nexus debut in 2010 to this year so that's a good decade streak of watching. Before that I watched from 1988 (Mr. Perfect's debut) to 2001 (Invasion). Can't wait to see what they put out in 2029 that will bring me back!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's see: I watch NXT, NXT UK ( which used to be my overall favorite before the pandemic), the PPV's, the classics from wherever, but mostly 90's WCW and WWF, if there's Kamala, Arn Anderson or Buddy Landell, I'll do Mid-South and if there's Terry Gordy, Gino Hernandez or Kerry Von Erich , I will do World Class! If those are not available, I'll watch un-natural looking guys with ridiculous physiques beating each other up! I guess I could watch '92 Rick Rude fuck up '86 Dynamite Kid with Kid cradle tombstoning Rude for the win, all day long!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

 Now, I could find a way to watch French Catch or AEW on TNT, but I still would probably not give this up.

French Catch is on Matt D's YouTube channel. AEW is (live & commercial free) on Fite.tv for $4.99 a month (which also gives access you the entire Dynamite archive). Also there's a chatroom during the live airing, but lets not get into that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No one hate-watches WWE, it's worse - it's hope-watching. Hope they push your guy, hope they don't fuck up so and so on the main roster, hope they don't punish someone for getting over without permission, hope the right guys go over, hope Vince doesn't get bored with your favorite, hope the creative gets better, hope the finishes make sense... 

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

No one hate-watches WWE, it's worse - it's hope-watching. Hope they push your guy, hope they don't fuck up so and so on the main roster, hope they don't punish someone for getting over without permission, hope the right guys go over, hope Vince doesn't get bored with your favorite, hope the creative gets better, hope the finishes make sense... 

That's basically what I was doing. Keith Lee, Aleister Black, Rhea Ripley, Ricochet, and some others were basically my last best hope and...well, I don't have any more hope.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AxB said:

French Catch is on Matt D's YouTube channel. AEW is (live & commercial free) on Fite.tv for $4.99 a month (which also gives access you the entire Dynamite archive). Also there's a chatroom during the live airing, but lets not get into that.

Thank you so much. I will explore these options and appreciate them, but it is likely that I still won't discontinue the Network. If I could be bothered, I'd probably be there already!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

No one hate-watches WWE, it's worse - it's hope-watching. Hope they push your guy, hope they don't fuck up so and so on the main roster, hope they don't punish someone for getting over without permission, hope the right guys go over, hope Vince doesn't get bored with your favorite, hope the creative gets better, hope the finishes make sense... 

hard to argue that there are not people here that appear to hate watch WWE, given the vitriolic posts with every news story or TV thread. (Not that they don’t have valid criticisms, of course, but that’s a tangential issue.)

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

hard to argue that there are not people here that appear to hate watch WWE, given the vitriolic posts with every news story or TV thread. (Not that they don’t have valid criticisms, of course, but that’s a tangential issue.)

All of this right here!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The last time I watched WWE was the first ThunderDome show. It was just a new coat of paint. I don't understand why people continue to want to work there when it just burns so many out before them physically and mentally.

Plus I see Orton is champ again and I cannot bring myself to care about that. I used to enjoy NXT, it now has fallen victim to the usual booking.

I cancelled because of pandemic related budget cutbacks on my part and kept Wrestling Universe and NJPW World. I enjoy wrestling much more again. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

How many people here have stopped watching WWE altogether? Stopped subscribing to the network? I'm curious.

Deleting Facebook has done me wonders mentally, and I'm sure not watching WWE anymore has helped as well. That sounds self-righteous, I know. It is true, though. 

Cancelled the Network, quit watching all their TV and don't even bother reading up about results. Don't miss it either. Between AEW and Impact there's enough wrestling out there I actually enjoy watching. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

hard to argue that there are not people here that appear to hate watch WWE, given the vitriolic posts with every news story or TV thread. (Not that they don’t have valid criticisms, of course, but that’s a tangential issue.)

I was admittedly being a little hyperbolic to make my point. But the rest of my post stands!

Link to post
Share on other sites

People watch wrestling? Noted. I haven't seen anything since February besides a bit of Kingston on AEW and any WWE in full in so long I can't even remember. I read what happens on the shows and I feel fine.

Edited by Ryan
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...