DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'm finally watching The Affair, since it's free on Amazon for the time being (or, at least the first season is).

God, I hate the structure.  The Tell-not-Show aspect of setting up each section each goddamn episode is tedious and hey, guess what, you already did it 3 episodes straight, maybe we *get the point* and you don't need to do it that way?

Plus, with the order of the sections being what they are, it makes you feel as though the second section is always the one telling the truth, and, given the characters, I'm not sure that's the correct vibe to set.  I mean, I'm only part of the way in, so this could be trying to set up some manipulation of the Kuleshov effect like Arrival did, but...eh, even then I think if it goes that route, it will feel ham-fisted.

But the acting and the writing...holy crap, I love these parts of the show.  It's been great.  It's probably the best thing Dominic West has done; he may have been in The Wire, but he was so clearly the back end of compelling characters on that show, whereas he's a lot better here, and not just because there's more for him to do.  The bits with Doman are just priceless each and every time.  The only casting I don't like is Joshua Jackson, but I've never liked him.  I kind of wonder if the show wouldn't have been better if Colin Donnell were Cole instead.

They made Kentucky Fried Movie decades ago. And it was no doubt massively better than whatever this rubbish is going to be.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2020 at 3:24 PM, Pete said:

Ooh, ahh...

They’re showing episodes from 1982 and it’s a blast to watch, I would have turned 8 during that summer so it has that good nostalgia and trying to figure out the price of things from that era is challenging.

It’s also that weird time between decades so it’s still kind of late 70’s but what everyone thinks were 80’s are creeping in, so the same episode might have a super 8 film camera and a Texas Instruments home computer. 

So I don't want to be that guy but we finally got over the hump to watch the Expanse. My wife hadn't liked the first episode much so it was a hard sell, but I got her onto the books and then I started on the books. We're finishing up S3 now. I'm 100 pages into Book 4. She's on Book 6.

And...

It's almost painful how much better the books are. In general the casting is pretty good, and the line-remixing like what they did in Lord of the Rings when they pulled out a lot of moments/lines/etc. and use them in different context shows a lot of love and attention, but it just loses so much with the lack of POVs. This isn't a problem I had with Game of Thrones. I think some of it is that the actual language in The Expanse is really well crafted. The descriptions really drive character development. You have to simplify and compress things on a show but just so much is lost. We stumble through a lot of it just primarily frustrated at how lacking it is relatively. There are specific examples, like how much richer a character Anna is in book 3 relative to season 3, just so many quiet moments of development or conflict, things she builds and then are torn down and her perseverance, and as much as I like Elizabeth Mitchell, just none of that made it onto the screen (and don't get me started on boozy Aunt Tilly).

I guess my advice for those who like the show would be to go and read the books.

Edited by Matt D

Shameless has effortlessly integrated Covid into its storylines. I dunno when or how they managed to do that, but they did. It's like it was filmed next year and somehow teleported back six months. 

EDIT: The legalization of weed in Illinois too

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Your Honor (the new Bryan Cranston series on Showtime) looks like it's gonna be good but it has some plotholes that are already bugging me. 

Spoiler

1. New Orleans might have suffered through Katrina and been abandoned but I'd imagined it's busy enough to not have intersections with a full-on wreck that have about ten minutes of time where someone can get away without being noticed. Correct me if I'm wrong, please, because that is ridiculous if not. 

2. Cops would have picked up that fucking inhaler. Give me a break. 

I don't know how far the Pluto Price is Right stuff is going to go, but there's an episode from 2001 where a (then very close, now less so) friend of mine won the Showcase Showdown while on Spring Break our freshman year.

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't know how far the Pluto Price is Right stuff is going to go, but there's an episode from 2001 where a (then very close, now less so) friend of mine won the Showcase Showdown while on Spring Break our freshman year.

I've seen the same Pontiac J2000 aka Sunbird that I saw last week when I started watching, so their still showing 1982 episodes, that is the only year they called the Sunbird a J2000. I think they showed new episodes for most of the summer back then so it might be a long time before they hit 2001 episodes.

Hulu is going to doing an 8 episode limited series about Tommy Lee and Pamela Anderson

Sebastian Stan has been cast as Tommy Lee

Lily James has been cast as Pamela Anderson

Seth Rogen has been cast as the dude who steals their sex tape

It will be directed by Craig Gillespie (I, Tonya)