DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 10/20/2020 at 9:56 AM, Curt McGirt said:

What irritated me most about Deb was her saying 'fuck' constantly. I  say 'fuck' constantly (fuck, I even write like I speak) but that seemed egregious even to me. 

YES.  It got sooooooo tiresome.  

Trinity Killer was such good shit, it makes me sad thinking about where things went afterwards. Never watched the last season, thankfully. 

Lovecraft Country ended on Sunday. It was very good at times and very eh at others, but I'm glad I watched it with the wife because it helped me get her to watch Watchmen with me, and that was mostly fucking great. 

Jessica Chastain is replacing Michelle Williams in HBO's limited series English language adaptation of Scenes From A Marriage

Per Variety - Williams had to drop out due to what seems like the now standard scheduling conflicts created by COVID

This reunites Chastain with Oscar Isaac

It is being written and directed by Hagai Levi (The Affair)

Since it’s really TV, I’ll just post this here. I’ve been binge watching the shit out of Tales From The Crypt. It’s currently not on HBO Max(Probably will never be on it), but it’s all on YouTube. I thought I missed a few episodes here, and there... Nope, I’ve seen it all already. I’ve enjoyed it still. Some great campy performances from a who’s of character actors from that time playing scum that will get what they deserve.

Sadly you can see where the show falls off a cliff. The show uses cliches that you see a mile away, and honestly it’s there from episode 2 to the last. It’s just when the budgets have been slashed in season 6 you can’t hide it as well as you did in the previous seasons. Like I realized that this wasn’t any better than Goosebumps really at a certain point. Also you can only suspend your disbelief at the unexplained supernatural resurrections that make up the resolutions of more than half of the tales for so long. 

Another thing about the show is that stories usually focus on the more erotic thriller trappings, which I don’t believe the original books relied on as much, and just feels like a product of its time when late 80’s, and early 90’s productions pumped up the sex. That’s fine for a few episodes, but it tends to happen back to back.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Yeah, and it was a R-rated Twilight Zone without limits.

I think another thing was that the show doesn’t really venture outside of “rich yuppies do something bad, and life teaches them a lesson”(Hello, 90’s). It’s funny because two of the best episodes ever(Yellow, and Showdown) that don’t really deal with the cliched twists of the series aren’t even originally Tales From The Crypt episodes, and it’s pretty obvious in retrospect. Now it’s not like Tales doesn’t try something different, but for the most part it doesn’t get better after those episodes. But then again, it’s not like they all had Richard Donner behind the camera like they did for those episodes made for a sister series that never happened. Only traditional episode that exceeds these is Cutting Cards. That episode is an acting tour de force, with an over the top script.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Gratuitious nudity was the main selling point of premium cable, right? Dream on was probably the worst offender, outside of the shows like Red Shoe Dairies or Sherman Oaks.

The nudity is nearly the only thing I remember about the show.  It was a big deal in our household and neighborhood.  When it aired, I had just graduated college and gotten married.  Had HBO for the first time.  I think a lot of my neighbors were just discovering Showtime and HBO and we watched a lot of bad shows and movies for the... titillation factor, I guess you could call it.  Watching R-rated shows in our own homes was almost as novel to us young suburbanites as it was teenage boys.

I just looked up Dream On to see what years it ran.  If I knew it was created by Marta Kauffman and David Crane of Friends fame, I forgot.  I also have no memory of Wendy Malick playing the ex-wife.  

Was the show any good?  I have even thought about it in the past 10 or 20 years.  Like I said, I remember almost nothing about it.

Edited by Eoae

The thing is, there is only so much you can do with EC Comics stories of the horror mold. They had a specific formula and there wasn't a great deal of variety to it. The stuff they came up with for the sci-fi, crime and war comics was where the majority of originality was. If they had mined those and especially the Shock Suspenstories line, they'd have gotten some better material. I think they could have tweaked the horror content a little on some of those stories and they'd have worked. 

I remember liking Dream On as a kid but who knows if it holds up now. 

EDIT: Well damn, they actually did do a ton of Shock Suspenstories. Maybe they just didn't pick the good ones. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tales_from_the_Crypt_episodes#Season_6_(1994–95)

Edited by Curt McGirt

The only things I remember for sure about Dream On were the cutaways to old movies and shows to express the lead’s inner thoughts and that I had an enormous crush on Wendy Malick. 

I went back through all of Tales from the Crypt a few years ago, but I ran out of steam during the final season in England and never finished. It’s never brought up when there’s listicles of weirdest final episodes, probably because of the format,  but you’ll forget the last episode ever was an animated parody of The Three Little Pigs starring Bobcat Goldthwaite. 

Yellow, Showdown, and King of The Road were going to be the setup of Two Fisted Tales. I think Zemeckis, and Donner were aiming for something closer to Twilight Zone with that show judging by two of the stories having a more optimistic outcome. 

Shame the shows rights are stuck in limbo. I wouldn’t mind if M. Night’s version would’ve gotten a chance. Maybe, just maybe we’ll get one someday on HBO Max.

Also, on the 7th season of Tales. It’s actually an improvement over the 6th. You can tell they got an influx of cash. More actors, and extras per episode. They also get to shoot outdoors again. Season six is almost all interiors, or sets made to look like a jungle.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

23 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Speaking of Crypt spinoffs, I really want to give Perversions of Science a shot since I only saw a couple of episodes twenty-odd  years ago. 

Wow, I’ve never seen that before. Just put up the first episode out of curiosity. This CG host was a bad choice. I can see why viewers didn’t stick around.

• Like 1

You've probably heard HBO Max did a stage production of the "Hartsfield's Landing" episode of The West Wing. Well, now that production is available to everyone:

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/the-west-wing-reunion-offered-to-non-hbo-max-subscribers-for-free/

Watch it. It's great and a reminder that the cast was incredible. 

2 hours ago, peterien said:

Have any of you guys watched the following? And if so how do they hold up? 
Fargo S4, Good Lord Bird, Wilderness of Errors

This season of Fargo is good but nowhere near seasons 1 & 2, I kind of wish I waited to binge it after they all aired on FX. Good Lord Bird is great!

• Like 1