DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

I liked Man of Steel, but I knew that it wasn't "my" Superman. The movie was made the way it was because memes get reinvented for new audiences and that's how they survive. You can get mad about it and resort to posts in ALL CAPS or you can acknowledge that the mythos is changing and adapting to what modern audiences want to see.

The movie made almost a billion dollars. The Action Comics and Superman comics make around $419,000 a month selling around 140,000 copies combined. The people have spoken. Find something you do enjoy and relax. It's all good.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go rage about the Sam Raimi Spider-Man flicks. Toby fucking McGuire crybaby horseshit.

• Like 3

I liked Man of Steel, but I knew that it wasn't "my" Superman. The movie was made the way it was because memes get reinvented for new audiences and that's how they survive. You can get mad about it and resort to posts in ALL CAPS or you can acknowledge that the mythos is changing and adapting to what modern audiences want to see.

The movie made almost a billion dollars. The Action Comics and Superman comics make around $419,000 a month selling around 140,000 copies combined. The people have spoken. Find something you do enjoy and relax. It's all good.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go rage about the Sam Raimi Spider-Man flicks. Toby fucking McGuire crybaby horseshit.

Hahaha exactly. This guy gets it!

No, you're totally right. I wrote a lot on this very subject in the MOS thread on the old board. It's an interesting topic, but since I'm totally burnt out on the same fucking MAN OF STEEL and CAPTAIN AMERICA arguments getting repeated ad infinitum, I'll just say right on, dude.

Just because Superman has been culturally relevant for the past 70 years, that doesn't mean he'll be relevant for the next 70 years. In fact, I'd say that, prior to MOS, his relevance, beyond an object of nostalgia and kitsch, was already on the wane. Icons have to adapt to the times, or they cease to be useful as icons and are therefore discarded.

Where were you when you heard the news that you’d been cast as Wonder Woman?

I was just on my way to shooting at LA. I landed at NY in a connection flight when my agent, Hadas Lichtenstein, called me. She says to me “Wonder Woman!” and I’m like “What??” – “The role is yours!…and it’s a secret and the news are not yet announced and you can’t tell anyone…”. I’m saying to her “Are you serious??”- and we both scream! Now it’s a plane from Israel to NY and I can’t make loud noise, and so I lean on a window, bending down to my legs, and just try to understand. Long story short – I was totally alone in NY, I got to a hotel at 12am, I needed to wake up in the morning for shootings. I remember laying in the darkness by myself, staring at the ceiling, and I was telling myself “It’s not real!”…it shouldn’t be like that, I’m supposed to be like… “where’s the champagne?”.

It’s been said that you’re too skinny for the part. Wonder Woman is large-breasted, is that going to change?

Hmm. I represent the Wonder Woman of the new world. Breasts… anyone can buy for 9,000 shekels and everything is fine. By the way, Wonder Woman is Amazonian, and historically accurate Amazonian women actually had only one breast. So, if I’d really go “by the book”…it’d be problematic.

So you’re not going to gain a little weight and start eating carbs before filming begins?

It’s the physical preparations that I’m starting now. A very serious training regimen – Kung Fu, kickboxing, swords, jujutsu, Brazilian…1,000 and 1 things…I’ll gain body mass.

http://batman-news.com/2013/12/26/gal-gadot-on-wonder-woman-casting-fan-criticism-training-and-more/

Wonder Woman having two breasts is bullshit.

• Like 1

Heard Seth Rogan on Howard Stern's "Best Of 2013" today, and during the interview for This is the End, they briefly talked about Man Of Steel, and Rogan's biggest complaint was that they kept going back to the same Zod story, and how they have to keep going back to it because Superman is too damn powerful. I feel validated.

We just had a big meeting w/ Warner Bros CEO re: @DCComics 2014 we will partner up and create the cool bad assery. #RockTalk @ActionTilson

Fantasy casting, but Rocky would make an outstanding Black Manta. 

Paint Rock green, give him a cape, call him Martian Manhunter and have him punch some laser rifle toting gorillas in the face.

Just give some gorillas some laser rifles and have some super heroes punch 'em in the face.  That's all I really want out of a DC Comics movie.  That or a team of super heroes playing baseball against a team of gorillas with the future of humanity on the line.

Didn't Rock have a Shazam film in pre-production at some point? I know that's redundant since DC seems to announce 235 films yet only ever produces Batman and Superman movies but I seem to recall there some buzz over it on the comic geek sites.

Rock as Manhunter would be fine but I'd definitely rather see him in a Shazam flick. I've always found the concept pretty brilliant although I think the Flashpoint version with a group of kids instead of just one might be even better. I've mentioned several times that I'm primarily a Marvel guy so I admit I'm biased when I say I find most of DC's solo heroes rather bland and uninteresting but Shazam is definitely one of the ones I would love to see on the big screen.

Of course, my favorite DC hero and the one I'd most like to see on screen is Firestorm but no way that's happening unless by some miracle they manage to string together a Marvel-like run of solo movies and end up needing to resort to the C list to find fresh film ideas.