DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

Just saw Mask of the Phantasm again recently and yeah, it really holds up.  Didn't totally get what happened at the end with the Phantasm and the other main antagonist (trying to go spoiler-free here), but overall it was as great as I remembered.

If you're including animated movies, what about Under the Red Hood? 

Just saw Mask of the Phantasm again recently and yeah, it really holds up. Didn't totally get what happened at the end with the Phantasm and the other main antagonist (trying to go spoiler-free here), but overall it was as great as I remembered.

I was going strictly with theatrically released.

Just saw Mask of the Phantasm again recently and yeah, it really holds up. Didn't totally get what happened at the end with the Phantasm and the other main antagonist (trying to go spoiler-free here), but overall it was as great as I remembered.

I was going strictly with theatrically released.
Mask of the Phantasm was theatrically released. I saw it, i believe Xmas Day, in Toledo, while going to BGSU.

Edited for box office mojo link

/www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=batmanmaskofthephantasm.htm

Allegedly, Jason Momoa is either signed or being offered a role in MOS 2/Superman vs. Batman/Whatever the fuck it ends up being called.

Nothing beyond pure speculation on what role he would allegedly be playing.

I actually think he'd be a pretty decent choice for Manhunter. He had a creepy Ming the Merciless look about him in GoT and he's shown more range than Henry Cavill's beard. He'd be an inspired choice over the Wise Old Guy they usually cast as a live action Martian.

Besides, Doomsday HAS to be a CG character. Frickin' Smallville had Michael Bay's catering budget and even they managed to do a CGI Dooomsday. There's no way the character can be done right with an actor playing him.

I thought that might be what you were talking about but in that case hiring Momoa seems silly. You don't need a giant buff dude to motion capture a monster. Andy Serkis is 150 pounds soaking wet and he did an epic job playing a big 'ol ape in Planet of the Apes (and was the best actor in King Kong, too). Didn't Ang Lee motion capture Hulk, too?

Yeah.  I mean, they could go with Momoa as a guy that gets turned into Doomsday, assuming they are A.) Actually using Doomsday and B.) Have no interest in using his bat-shit absurd origin from the comics and C.) wouldn't mind having, basically, an evil Hulk.

Guess you didn't watch Smallville because Evil Hulk is basically what they did with Doomsday there. A normal looking guy (actually, the guy who motion captured/was the voice & likeness of Starkiller in the Force Unleashed video game) played Doomsday as a man who then basically hulked out into proper Doomsday when he was angry.

Again, though, if that's what they're doing, it makes no sense to cast a guy who already looks like a badass to play a guy who morphs into an even bigger badass. Although I guess they could do something like have him as Momoa fight Supes in the beginning and then explain as he gets exposed to the yellow sun, he mutates into Monster Doomsday because of his funky Kryptonian DNA.

In any case, I just hope Momoa is playing Manhunter. Because for one I like him and want him to get his big break and for two the presence of Manhunter would pretty much end any pretense of this being MoS 2 and establish they're basically making JLA.

Barry used a card reader thingy to get inside his huge personal lab.  I guess CSI detectives make pretty good dough?

Anyway, even when this show does stuff that's kind of goofy, I still tend to like it.  Like the appearance of Tommy Merlyn.  He was saying stuff that was totally out of character for him, but you say "well, that's okay since he was just a hallucination".  But means that essentially Ollie was giving himself a pep talk via head trip.  Like I say, kind of goofy, but they have done enough to build up the Ollie-Tommy bond (including mentioning him every week in the intro) that it works.

Same thing with the slow reveal of Slade at the end.  He has a super recognizable voice, so it's not like there was doubt about who was speaking, but whatever.  The revelation of his plan was still cool and ominous.

If they actually use

Solomon Grundy

as a regular villain on Arrow it will become my all time favorite show. This was it for Barry Allen right? Didn't they scrap the back door pilot idea? I feel like that's a bad idea. You really should give people a small taste of what the Flash show will be like if you want to drum up interest in it. I hope it gets picked up though, because then I can start my letter writing campaign to get Gorilla Grodd on as a character.

Looking at the lists for theatrically released Batman films, here's mine:

1. The Dark Knight (2008)

2. Batman Begins (2005)

3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)

4. Batman (1989)

5. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

6. Batman (1966)

7. Batman Returns (1992)

8. Batman Forever (1995)

9. Batman & Robin (1997)