DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

It's because I've never seen a movie picked apart quite like Man of Steel. The complaints are all very minor gripes and shit that if it wasn't a Superman film (or Snyder film) would be overlooked. "Oh how come he didn't pick up Zod and fly them away"

It's stupid and beyond nitpicking. The movie is not perfect but Christ... it is still very well made. Very well made. It's beautifully shot. The acting is good. The action is 10/10. The script is "ok",  I wouldn't say perfect but it's not even close to a badly written film.. 

This was not a Fantastic Four or Green Lantern or theatrical cut of Daredevil, X-Men: The Last Stand, Wolverine: Origins or Iron Man sequel, etc..  type of situation. Those movies were either extremely poorly written and/or acted or COMPLETELY changed everything about the characters to a point where they were not even recognizable.

I've countered every gripe a bunch of times and it always comes back to just severe nitpicking. I asked "give me a director that would have done a better job" and no answers.

I'm still not seeing where Clark in this film is all "the world is fucked, can't do anything about it" or was TOLD what to do. Nobody told him go save those kids on the bus. He just did it and believed it was the right thing to do because he's Superman and as for your other complaint...   We see Superman saving people throughout the film but because there weren't a couple shots of him saving people near the end you take this EXTREME viewpoint to where he doesn't give a shit..  How many times do we need to see him saving people before you would have been satisfied?

I don't get it.

Let me ask you this...   was this really a Fantastic Four or Wolverine: Origins (remember Deadpool LOL?) kind of film? Because that's how some are treating it and it's baffling.

He lets his dad die because he is told to. He becomes Superman because his other dad told him to. He kills Zod because Zod told him he had to. That is a stunning lack of personal agency.

And I don't even understand your other half. I wanted the character whose entire purpose had been protecting the weakand innocent to do so while fighting an alien invasion. I fucking wanted Superman to act like Superman in a goddamned Superman movie and HE FUCKING DIDN'T.

• Like 2

He lets his dad die because he is tols to. He becimes Superman because his other dad told him to. He kills Zod because Zid told him he had to. That is a stunning lack of personal agency.

And I don't seven understand your other half. I wanted the character whose entire purpose had been protecting the weakand innocent to do so while fighting an alien invasion. I fucking wanted Superman to act like Superman in a goddamned Superman movie and HE FUCKING DIDN'T.

It was he first go round, relax.

Man of Steel was awesome. Everything I wanted Superman in a movie to be. He stopped being a sissy and started kicking ass...

FOR AMERICA.

DKR on the other hand does indeed have some issues, which I outline on the previous incarnation of the board. Some of my biggest issues have to do with what Bruce did in his time of retirement, why he would pine for Rachel for so long instead of moving on, what happened to everything that was setup at the end of TDK, etc.

It's because I've never seen a movie picked apart quite like Man of Steel. The complaints are all very minor gripes and shit that if it wasn't a Superman film (or Snyder film) would be overlooked. "Oh how come he didn't pick up Zod and fly them away"

Buit it IS a Superman movie. If you go into a Superman movie, you go in expecting to see Superman. Just as you expect to see James Bond, when you go to a James Bond movie or Harry Potter, when you go into a Harry Potter movie.

The Fantastic Four movies and X-Men Origins: Wolverine were terrible, but I didn't hate them nearly as much as I did Man of Steel.

I was absolutely fuming, when I left the theatre.

I still maintain he sounded like a computer doing a bad Sean Connery impersonation.

I said this in the MoS thread, IIRC.

Maybe a drunk Robert Shaw doing a derisive Connery impersonation.

• Like 1

I thought it sounded a lot like Sean Connery, but I also thought it was fun, and it sounded less ridiculous than the GRAVELY BATMAN VOICE WHERE IS THE BOMB WHERE IS IT?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

He lets his dad die because he is told to. He becomes Superman because his other dad told him to. He kills Zod because Zod told him he had to. That is a stunning lack of personal agency.

This. I've stated my issue with how Zod was dealt with in the first 10 minutes, and Jon Kent death scene was just all sorts of really dumb shit.

Let me ask you this...   was this really a Fantastic Four or Wolverine: Origins (remember Deadpool LOL?) kind of film? Because that's how some are treating it and it's baffling.

No, both Fantastic Four films are on Green Lantern levels. I mildly enjoyed W:O for what it was. Deadpool was the worst part of it, that I concede. And I'll agree that I doubt any director besides Snyder (who I'm a big fan of) could have MoS any better. But, counterpoint, to act as if it's anywhere near TDK trilogy is equally baffling.

For the record, I think DKR surpasses TDK simply because of the ending. Even after seeing TDK on opening day, I immediately believed the last 10-15 minutes of it were completely unnecessary. In fact, everything concerning Dent once the Joker freed him from the hospital could've been saved for the sequel. To conclude the movie, instead of having Batman being blamed for the final acts of Dent (And why not blame them on, I don't know... THE JOKER??), it should've been left off with Joker being captured as he was, but with Gordon and Batman realizing that while they've defeated the Joker, he's won by setting Two-Face loose on the city, and the citizens of Gotham realizing the Joker exists only because Batman exists, hence Two-Face is a direct result of Batman's actions. Dent is dealt with in the first 30 minutes of DKR, Batman goes into hiding for years, and Bane eventually emerges.

In contrast, DKR ends with Batman at the mercy of the first antagonist to ever challenge him physically, with the villain's end coming about from the one way Batman would never succumb to (death, which is the rule the Joker kept trying to make him break) via a weapon he would never use (a gun, which is what he told Selina during their first combative encounter). The first part of TDK is superior to first part of DKR, but the endings are completely opposite levels of satisfying, and ultimately, (most of the time) people remember the end of the films more than what it took to get them there.

Also, I liked Bane's voice.

Nolan said he would have saved Dent for a sequel if he knew there would be one.

I would have liked TDK a lot more if they'd ended it with the scene of Gordon talking to Dent in the hospital and a slow reveal of Dent's mangled face.  The final Two Face act seemed really tacked on, almost like a completely different movie.

• Like 2