DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

Over the course of the first season, ARROW went from surprisingly decent to frustratingly decent for me. Like, there'd be one really good episode where I'd think, "Hey, this show might be ready to take the leap to Actually Good," but then it would be immediately followed by 1 or 2 pretty rough episodes. I wanted to be able to embrace it without reservation, but it never happened.

Still, it was a lot better than the first half season of SHIELD. That cannot be said enough.

• Like 1

So, 9 episodes into Arrow (BINGE WATCHING FTW) and it's a lot better than I expected, even though it really feels like they kinda really wanted to be making a Batman show.

It's less that they wanted to make a Batman story and more than they wanted it to feel like "Christopher Nolan's Green Arrow" and tried REALLY hard to be taken REALLY seriously despite the show being at its best when it's got a sort of goofy fun about it. As time goes on, they start embracing the crazier elements and things improve significantly. Season 2 especially.

• Like 1

On one hand, it was my favorite episode thus far (through 14 now.)

On the other, Helena Bertenelli showing up was very odd.

And, yeah, Ollie's rogues gallery is more or less terrible after Merlyn and Vertigo (which...  That was an interesting take on Vertigo, I guess) so I get why they might be grabbing from other characters, but they just keep going to the Batman well.  I just feel like the people behind the show might be significantly bigger Batman fans than they are Green Arrow fans (which...  Okay, nobody can blame them for that.)

Also, just fucking calling him Green Arrow.  "The Hood Guy" is not a good name.  It might be worse than The Blur.

I'm still demanding to know how Dig got Oliver out of that jackpot with the police in the Vertigo episode. That place was swarming with cops. Ain't no way he just waltzed out of their with Oliver's drugged-up ass.

I wonder if they'll cross over any villains when the Flash series debuts? Flash's rogues are at least better known than Arrow's but still not near as familiar to the average person as Batman's. 

Unrelated note: the Wonder Woman series "Amazon" apparently ain't happening. http://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-tv-show-amazon-cw-canceled/

The main rogues I think will be largely untampered with, aside from Mirror Master. Depending on how deep into the gallery they want to get though The Top, Tar Pit, Double Down and Girder would all have to be changed. And forget Gorilla Grodd...

I just finished the first episode with the Dark Archer. He shoots arrows into Oliver's back, Oliver escapes through a window and calls Diggle on his cellphone. I laughed because it's pretty much exactly the scene in Batman Begins where the Scarecrow poisons Batman and sets him on fire.

But how do you do Grodd within the limitations of how the shows are run (I'm assuming Flash will be the same as Arrow)? They're trying to stay (as much as possible) away from superpowers, aliens, etc. How do you explain a super intelligent, telepathic gorilla with those restrictions? 

I don't wanna sound like I'm shitting on him, Grodd is actually one of my favorite villains in the DC universe, I just don't see how he can be done in the "realistic" vein they try to keep the shows in.

They abandoned the "no superpowers" rule this season, because they realized that people wanted comics shit in a comics show and not realism.  Its part of what's made Season 2 way better than 1.  That's how we got Barry in the first place, along with powered-up Deathstroke and Grundy(even if it has been super serum stuff).