Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

WWE COVID-19 RELEASE MEGATHREAD


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, caley said:

It's like when everyone attacked Miz for showing up to tapings sick, and I understand that line of thinking, but I also think you have to have some understanding/allowance of the athletic mindset, too.  You've got in the Miz who has had it drilled into him for YEARS now "Show must go on, you don't have time to be sick or injured." that it's easy to dismiss feeling sick and going "I can work through this."  Sure, he shouldn't have, but he's probably worked through so many injuries/illnesses over the years that he probably figured it was no big deal.  

I mean that's rule #1.  If you're sick, stay the fuck away from people.  A lot of lives would probably have been saved if rule #2 was "send anyone home who looks sick but insists "No, I'm fine."  

And fuck this allowance thing.  This isn't about Miz.  This is about all the people who he comes into contact who may not be able to handle whatever illness he has.  I guarantee he didn't have COVID but he had something. And he was still spreading that shit.  And now those people who might get it are going to think they have it too.  I agree with everything you say if Miz doesn't give a shit about anybody but himself.  Because that's the only way your comment makes any sense.  This isn't HIV or cancer.  You TALK to someone and you're potentially spreading it.  Motherfucker was going to WRESTLE people...

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing is that the whole "we are open but you don't have to come in thing" is a big soft power move, and it is kind of a shitty thing for most companies, WWE and AEW included, to do. It is very much along the same lines as to why you generally don't allow someone in power at a job to ask out someone lower on the totem pole out, sure the person asking may not do anything wrong if they are turned down but the person asked has all sorts of potential risks to consider both professional and personal. 

 

So yeah, WWE are huge dicks to do this but AEW, even if they have the best of intentions, are also putting their talent in a rough spot and shouldn't be doing this either. Watch either show if you want as we're all stuck inside and would watch just about anything, but in a better world both of them would not be running now and wouldn't put the decision to on the talent.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, username said:

The thing is that the whole "we are open but you don't have to come in thing" is a big soft power move, and it is kind of a shitty thing for most companies, WWE and AEW included, to do. It is very much along the same lines as to why you generally don't allow someone in power at a job to ask out someone lower on the totem pole out, sure the person asking may not do anything wrong if they are turned down but the person asked has all sorts of potential risks to consider both professional and personal. 

 

So yeah, WWE are huge dicks to do this but AEW, even if they have the best of intentions, are also putting their talent in a rough spot and shouldn't be doing this either. Watch either show if you want as we're all stuck inside and would watch just about anything, but in a better world both of them would not be running now and wouldn't put the decision to on the talent.

I’m not absolving the promotions of blame but that’s why the government has to step in and shut things down, that’s why there needs to be regulation. There is a huge power gap in softly offering employees to have an option but potentially implying that it may not be ideal. Even if aew really means that they won’t be bad guys about it, the people without power will still feel internal pressure. That’s how the personal relationships among different positions is such a good analogy. Even if everyone is a good guy with good intentions there’s still that unequal power balance. 
 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We can blame both. WWE company culture is entirely to blame, but Miz is such a devoted company man, he doesn't have to be forced by the culture. He volunteers to do things that someone with self respect would refuse to, or need to be persuaded into at least.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

my biggest thing is that Miz and Maryse have a newborn and a 2nd young child at home. As a dad, if I am in Miz's position there is no way I'm risking the health of my family to travel to these shows. He was sick and should have stayed quarantined even if he didn't have the virus he could have been more prone to getting it.  Vince isn't going to fire you for not working these shows. It would be a massive PR nightmare that WWE doesn't want or need at this time. On top of all that if Vince did let someone go imagine the promo that worker could cut if they went to AEW or elsewhere.  Plus that workers value would go sky high, they wouldn't even need to wait for crowds to return they could sell a shirt on PWT and make $$$ instantly.  

You would be crazy to think a shirt that had a no smoking esque logo with someone sneezing  and then the word "fired" on the back wouldn't sell.  Instant $$$

Vince isn't getting rid of anyone that refuses to work these shows. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

 

Vince isn't getting rid of anyone that refuses to work these shows. 

Even if that was explicitly stated in contract form, and the publicity from firing someone in these circumstances would be enough to sink the company, that wouldn’t prevent the newest rookie in the company from feeling pressured to show up against their better judgment (if that’s how they truly felt. As others have said there will be many independent contractors and others who want to work right now.) But there is automatic pressure on employees whose employers say “don’t worry you can stay home. But we will be open and we sure don’t want to let the customers down.”

Edited by matt925
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Vince isn't going to fire you for not working these shows.

Vince isn't getting rid of anyone that refuses to work these shows. 


You can repeat it all you like - WWE has a history of finding reasons to get rid of people when they want them gone. The clause that they can be released at any time is deliberately written into every single one of the talent contracts.

Also, as all wrestling fans should know by now, termination is not the only form of reprisal available to WWE. They can and have irrevocably fucked up the careers of people that haven't towed the company line.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

any talent Vince were to let go for not towing the line would be better off outside of WWE. The promo's alone would make them instant $$$.  People are already looking for ways to get out of WWE and being let go would be a god send for many. I know the timing is shitty due to Corona but someone like Heath Slater or Spud can go on PWT and make a fortune right now if they aren't already.  

Some of the female workers or former workers have discovered onlyfans.  Renee Michelle is on there now and her content is the same as she has on her IG and she's getting $20 a pop from each person signed up. If your a female it's easy money.  Melina is going to have one, JR tweeted out Sunny's,  Shelly Martinez is there, and I'm sure others too.  Easy $$$ for little work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

any talent Vince were to let go for not towing the line would be better off outside of WWE. The promo's alone would make them instant $$$.  People are already looking for ways to get out of WWE and being let go would be a god send for many. I know the timing is shitty due to Corona but someone like Heath Slater or Spud can go on PWT and make a fortune right now if they aren't already.  

Some of the female workers or former workers have discovered onlyfans.  Renee Michelle is on there now and her content is the same as she has on her IG and she's getting $20 a pop from each person signed up. If your a female it's easy money.  Melina is going to have one, JR tweeted out Sunny's,  Shelly Martinez is there, and I'm sure others too.  Easy $$$ for little work. 

You're...saying they're better off working for what is essentially a porn website than working for six figures?

Kind of an odd position to take.

Something tells me a large number of WWE talent wouldn't agree. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

You're...saying they're better off working for what is essentially a porn website than working for six figures?

Kind of an odd position to take.

Something tells me a large number of WWE talent wouldn't agree. 

not at all,  they can do that while working indy's.  I don't think Renee ever made 6 figures. Hell I worked 3 Indy shows with her shilling merch right next to her and as hot as she is she was MAYBE only making $150 in sales and she had an older driver/escort that got $50 of it.   I would say supplemental income is the better way to word it but seeing these girls pop up on twitter saying they do it as a full time job making $60k or more is crazy to me. I would have never guessed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Latina foppies

FTFY. Your spelling is too good. And you never mentioned her Bacon stip (sic).

The thing about Onlyfans is, it has a reputation as a hard porn website, but apparently like 85% of the accounts on there have no nudity at all, just lingerie and swimsuit photos. And most of the other 15% is soft porn, not the super explicit stuff. Most people (with accounts) use it as an Instagram for profit.

Presumably the people who actually subscribe like it more because when they hassle girls on other social media they get blocked. But if you're paying the girl to let her hassle you, she might actually put up with it for a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could be just me but considering there's been no announced cuts for a few days and now we're talking about OnlyFans I can't help but wonder if we're best off just closing this.  Because if somebody thinks a women wrestler can only use that site as a source of income and not other well-respected avenues then IMO there's nothing worth talking about here anymore.

And yes this is a bit dramatic but it's 2020 and we should know better.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there not a long tradition of wrestlers selling photographs of themselves in revealing outfits? Didn't Jericho talk about how Cornette bawled at him and Lance for refusing to do a Hot Tub photoshoot in SMW?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Could be just me but considering there's been no announced cuts for a few days and now we're talking about OnlyFans I can't help but wonder if we're best off just closing this.  Because if somebody thinks a women wrestler can only use that site as a source of income and not other well-respected avenues then IMO there's nothing worth talking about here anymore.

And yes this is a bit dramatic but it's 2020 and we should know better.

Yea if paint by numbers isn’t gonna share his login for his premium onlyfans account then lock this sucker down!! 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Zartan said:

Yea if paint by numbers isn’t gonna share his login for his premium onlyfans account then lock this sucker down!! 

Brief Google search shows there were some security issues related to the site.  So even if he had one I wouldn't touch that with a 39 1/2 foot pole.  But so I don't risk coming across as hypocritical or prudish if you all want to keep it open and discuss it that's fine.  I was just giving my two cents and was in an admittedly fouler mood than I am now.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Any talent Vince were to let go for not towing the line would be better off outside of WWE. The promo's alone would make them instant $$$.


This is a bad hot take. Especially since it centers around Miz, who almost certainly is in the seven figures for total earnings in WWE. Even his downside is upper six figures. So even if they got pissed at him and sat him down at home, dude's gonna clear like $600K a year at least. You're telling me him doing onlyfans and cameo and a PWT store is going to replace a million dollars a year? Or even $600K? No. Not even close. Not even adding that to indy bookings.

Would Miz even work indy's? He's a strictly WWE guy. He's a full on lifer that loves that place. Doing the media, doing the cheesy commercials. I would think he doesn't have much of a shot at an AEW because of the WWE lifer stink. Impact would take him, but the pay there is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than AEW. Plus he doesn't own "The Miz". It's far more believable that if he got let go he goes back to MTV and just hosts Challenge shows. And that isn't paying $600K.

And how does a promo create instant $$$? I need you to show your work on that. Because in generalities it sounds good. But if you examine it with any kind of specifics it falls apart immediately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AEW has a younger, better Miz so they don't need Miz.  I do think Miz would work some matches still - I could see him doing Memphis stuff, maybe NWA, but part-time only.  It's obvious he loves wrestling, even if it's WWE-style.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Miz on the indie scene would be one of those things where he's a decent sized guy, but nobody thinks of him as a big scary tough guy type. And then you put him next to an indie guy who is considered a big scary badass monster guy, and they're smaller than Miz is.

Like when everyone realised Davey Richards and Rockstar Spud were the same height.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AxB said:

Miz on the indie scene would be one of those things where he's a decent sized guy, but nobody thinks of him as a big scary tough guy type. And then you put him next to an indie guy who is considered a big scary badass monster guy, and they're smaller than Miz is.

Like when everyone realised Davey Richards and Rockstar Spud were the same height.

That's one of those Jim Cornette things that kill me. He'll rant about Miz looking like a little kid, then turn right into praising MJF, who is probably an inch or two shorter, fifteen lbs lighter, and less defined.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...