DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/16/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Peak Lucha Underground Penta was breaking ref's arms. I don't know if they want to go that far but I'd rather them not have him breaking a woman's arm either. If they ever do decide to go that far, they need to keep those two apart. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I was a little disappointed they had Allin do his hands tied behind his back gimmick so early. I would have saved that for a match that had more heat building up to it. 

Well, I imagine when he gets into a feud with whomever his new Ethan Page is, he'll end up handcuffed and body bagged at various points but yeah. Doing it right away helped to immediately establish him but it doesn't have the weight it had when he was in a feud with somebody. 

23 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Deep thought for the day, why didn't they work the Luchasaurus injury into the Lucha Brothers trying to injure people angle?  

Missed opportunity I presume. I wouldn’t be shocked if babyfacing SCU so much was because they might’ve had a different outcome to these tag tourney matches before the injury.

Currently right now in AEW I don’t feel there is a complete sense of deep storytelling throughout the show. What’s there is very simple work. Guy hates this guy, and guy hates him back. There has been a bit more for some stuff, but overall it’s very cut, and dry. I guess that’s 95-97 WCW influence creeping in, or because they want to get all the action in on a two hour show. I hope we get a week where they slow it down a bit, but they need to keep up this pace. When WCW slowed it down, is when they fell apart. Nitro went from a billion matches a week to 4 matches, and a bunch of boring in ring promos that went on way too long.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

19 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Deep thought for the day, why didn't they work the Luchasaurus injury into the Lucha Brothers trying to injure people angle?  

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention but if they haven't given an explanation yet for the injury, they can possibly work it in at some point.

On 10/17/2019 at 7:56 AM, hammerva said:

so AEW is giving us guys like Marko Stunt and people are complaining that he doesn't fit the mold of a wrestler.   

Yes he is 5 foot nothing and about 150 pounds with a brick in his tights.  You know who else was 5 foot nothing about 150 pounds and looked like a 15 year old,  Rey Mysterio in 1995-1998 ECW and WCW.  The crowd loved him.    No I am not saying Marko is Rey Mysterio but in all the times I have seen him live he has never disappointed the fans.  Hell the reason he was in AEW is because he was just this "fan in the crowd" at a GCW show that nobody took seriously and then had an insane match against Kyle the Beast and here we are.

Interesting note concerning his hiring.  Fair comparison but obviously Rey had a few more tools in the game of duck, dodge and roll.  Rey was new and exciting and tho small in stature looked like an athlete.  I'm surprised to see so much acceptance and praise of Marko here on DVDvr.  Not that I disagree.  They put together a pretty tight match all things considered, and Marko worked hard in there and looked pretty alright.  The Luchas did a good job toying with him, but it did feel too long (especially if you were paying attention during the commercial break) and I really didn't like seeing Marko kicking out of anything let alone an awesome looking Pump Handle Driver.  As to @NikoBaltimore's earlier comment, I second that Marko needs to stop doing that ridiculous dance as part of a babyface act. Tho, I do see potential in a Marko wrestler/manager heel run.    

The Cody promo was strong and I hope to see more in this style. 

Santana and Ortiz looked good.  Great use of commercial break small screen with the two coming from their dressing room.  To whomever mentioned earlier, yeah, Santana does look like a potential singles star in the making.  The post match Jericho promo for his boys would have been a ton more effective if he'd come out and done it live with his pals by his side. 

Riho is saving this weak women's division one match at a time.  Pardon me if WWE has a similar act (I don't watch), but she seems like one of the most unique performers going.  So charming and finds a way to make up for her small stature without hurting any credibility of her always larger opponents.  Britt, as mentioned, looked sloppy and green here, but it was kinda fun watching Riho challenged to work around it.  And that finish was a really neat production with the close-ups. They need to send Britt to Japan or somewhere to help season her and give her ring time.  Doing 1 show a week, and on national television, is going to make it a very difficult road.  Bring on some Joshis for Ms. Riho.    

I thought the commentary this week was a bit weak.  Tony tries too hard with his old WCWisms like 'we've never seen this before', but Tony more than half the audience has.  He has a bad tendency to overemphasize things in a corporate shill kind of way that he needs to reel in.  JR also seemed particularly senile this week.  Certainly not horrible or distracting, but needs improvement.   

The All Star Tag and Darby-Jericho were the highlights.  And the rise of Scorpio Sky.  

I'm gonna have another look at this show.  First run, it felt a bit too sloppy.  Most certainly still good and fun and logical, but after reading so much positivity here I'm convinced I missed a lot of the good by checking out on some of the missed or overly choreographed spots. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ace said:

A secondary place for green folks like Nyla and Britt would really help if AEW is going to only do 1 show a week.

Yeah. Something like OVW used to be before WWE went all in on developmental systems. Let her work with someone that can train her on off days and have matches that aren't on TV in front of people.

She's only been working like 4 years, she's got a ton of potential, but she just needs time to develop. 

Part of the problem is they don't have the house shows to work out matches yet, part is that there isn't really a women's wrestling answer to someone like Dustin who can basically train people on the road.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah. Something like OVW used to be before WWE went all in on developmental systems. Let her work with someone that can train her on off days and have matches that aren't on TV in front of people.

She's only been working like 4 years, she's got a ton of potential, but she just needs time to develop. 

Part of the problem is they don't have the house shows to work out matches yet, part is that there isn't really a women's wrestling answer to someone like Dustin who can basically train people on the road.

Closest to that would probably be Nora Greenwald.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ace said:

A secondary place for green folks like Nyla and Britt would really help if AEW is going to only do 1 show a week.

Some of the southern indies would be perfect for this.  Maybe give a deal where you just loan the folks out to them, and promise to send bigger names four times a year or something.

• Like 1