Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Dolfan in NYC

AEW Dynamite - 10/16/2019

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wonder how he managed to fuck up his makeup tonight. It really can't be that hard to even up the lines on the mouth

That's how it always is. Do you not remember his matches in NJPW?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Dr. Britt is as bad as some people suggest but the women's division still needs a couple more talents. It's the only division where I feel they need something. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Craig H said:

They're in the unique position to not have everyone on every show. 

Unique position? Bullshit. I can very easily turn on Raw or SmackDown and not see Murphy or Ali for weeks at a time!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was mentioned last week, and I'll reiterate it here: There's something in Adam Page as a tag wrestler at this particular moment. This would be the perfect thing to build him for the next thing. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That's how it always is. Do you not remember his matches in NJPW?

Guess I never noticed. Ah well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Guess I never noticed. Ah well. 

Yeah, it was always fucked up and weird. I think the one time he didn't even both putting makeup on one side of his face. The first time I saw it I thought, well, this looks like shit. And then the match wound up being good and now I don't even care. I'm not sure what the reasoning is to making it look like Buffalo Bill put on Jericho's makeup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't think Dr. Britt is as bad as some people suggest but the women's division still needs a couple more talents. It's the only division where I feel they need something. 

Allie would be the better long term wrestler to build the division around. Better than Britt anyway. I don't know what they see in Britt, but whatever it is, it's more than what they currently see in Allie.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to sound like a broken record but Tenille Dashwood was available before she went to Impact and she is significantly better than Britt or Allie.  I don't know what the situation was but they should have attempted to scoop her up.  Also,  Penelope Ford has some charisma maybe she should get some more burn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Casey said:

I'm looking at the Nashville show on Ticketmaster, and I'm actually surprised at how many seats they sold. Looks like all that's left is a lot of upper bowl and the level directly below, and a handful behind the ringside area seats. What I'm more curious about is when they start to move into territory that doesn't have super hot crowds like they've been having. You can run Philly and Chicago and shit all you want, but when you run a place like Nashville - that might as well be a sister city wrestling crowd to Corpus Christi at times - that's where the real challenge is. Can you make that crowd hot as shit for 2 hours?

I mean, I think AEW can, but I'm really interested to see it.

I think Pittsburgh will be a nice guage. Has there ever been a hot Pittsburgh crowd? Pitt stands out because I remember watching a RAW, live from Pittsburgh, and it was one of the quietest, non studio,  non Japan shows i had ever heard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm not sure what the reasoning is to making it look like Buffalo Bill put on Jericho's makeup.

I think it depends on how many drinks he's had in the dressing room -- in fact that's what I thought as soon as I saw it haha

And hey, Buffalo Bill took time on his work! He wanted to look like he'd want to fuck himself, after all.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Has OC Jr. been at every Dynamite? Is he the new Izzy?

AEW's instagram referred to him as Clementine Cassidy.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Has OC Jr. been at every Dynamite? Is he the new Izzy?

AEW's instagram referred to him as Clementine Cassidy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

Imagine Darby hopping up the ladder with his hands tied, having Jericho beat, but unable to break the tape as he tries to snag the title down with his head.

That would have been an epic visual. Damn that's an amazing story to tell. It's like the Undertaker / Jeff Hardy ladder moment for a new generation. I hope that eventually happens down the line. I like the way you think.

 

38 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

Has there ever been a hot Pittsburgh crowd?

King Of The Ring 1998 Mankind vs Undertaker Hell In A Cell was in Pittsburgh. Great reaction that night.

2014 Royal Rumble was in Pittsburgh. I was at that one live. Bryan vs Bray is the best match Bray has ever had and Bryan was close to peak 'Austin over' that night. Rey coming out at 30 and Boo-tista was a loud as hell reaction too. Also lots of loud chants during that Randy vs Cena match. Goldberg, same old shit, we want divas, ect. Crazy stuff.

I don't think Pittsburgh is a bad crowd.I just think Pittsburgh only gives a shit when they are presented with something to give a shit about. I don't think anything on Raw in the past 3 or 4 years has been anything to get hyped over. Just my opinion tho.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

It was mentioned last week, and I'll reiterate it here: There's something in Adam Page as a tag wrestler at this particular moment. This would be the perfect thing to build him for the next thing. 

Yup... If last weeks team felt like Barry & Dustin, then this weeks felt like Lex & Barry. with the two blonde athletic partners.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam Page & Dustin Rhodes forming a tag team, with Page turning on him way down the line, could lead into a Cody/Page feud pretty nicely. I dig it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would’ve liked an in arena babyface promo for Janela about his brutal hardcore matches, and him sadly always come up short in them on tonight’s episode. But this show has literally been what NWA: TNA pretended that the last three initials meant, but really they wanted something that sounded like Tits n’ Ass to grab the pervs who needed to get a 10 dollar wank on a weekday night.

It might break the formula to have more interviews. But once this tag tournament is over, I hope they add something to the format. They hired all those interviewers for a goddamn reason.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, goodhelmet said:

I think Pittsburgh will be a nice guage. Has there ever been a hot Pittsburgh crowd? Pitt stands out because I remember watching a RAW, live from Pittsburgh, and it was one of the quietest, non studio,  non Japan shows i had ever heard. 

Angle-era Pittsburgh shows were usually hot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, goodhelmet said:

If AEW wanted JR to stop saying Jungle Jack Perry, he would have stopped by now. Honestly, I think it sounds better than Jungle Boy anyway. It has a Rowdy Roddy Piper vibe to it. JR is doing him a solid. 

 

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Id think if the VPs didnt want Ross to call him that, theyd tell him to stop.

JR may not have Vince screaming in his ear now, but i doubt hes not being produced  on any level. 

I don’t know. Excalibur seemed to make a point of emphasizing Jungle Boy after almost every time Ross called him something different. That combined with Ross not sticking with something consistent (he called him both “Jungle Boy” Jack Perry and “Jungle Jack” last night”) makes me feel like he’s either making the judgment call on his own or just keeps making mistakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting with the negative: would it kill them to do some more interviews? After the DoN surprise debut, how much were people salivating to hear unscripted Mox let loose on a microphone in the middle of a rabid crowd? The twitter promos have been good (I enjoyed the camera following him into the arena last week, answering Omega's 'damaged goods' line) but we could have had something to rival Jericho's classic, feeding off the energy in the building. I know it's only week 3 of TV, but it does feel like the moment's somewhat passed for the biggest impact. Instead we get the barb wire shit, the dastardly bastard calling for moderation (the ref is clearly useless at officiating) then being left in the lurch to fight the odds against the two babyfaces.  

I cannot believe I'm on the verge of asking for a show that's longer than two hours, but there just doesn't seem to be enough time to feature current stars and introduce new ones. Or maybe there is a smarter way to integrate Dark events to enhance the TNT stories or take a leaf out of NWA Powerrrrr's book and do the pre-match or post-match chat off to the side. They did it the first week but only to set up an angle.

That said, Cody's a star, Scorpio's a star, Darby and Private Party are on their way, all the Inner Circle are shining, and that's after 6 hours of TV and a handful of PPVs so I like their batting average.

I hope Lucha Bros don't just get typecast in the tag role, they can really add some flavour to the top of the card in singles matches, and as I said in a post a while ago the AEW tag division is already an embarrassment of riches.  

  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Custos said:

 

I cannot believe I'm on the verge of asking for a show that's longer than two hours, but there just doesn't seem to be enough time to feature current stars and introduce new ones. Or maybe there is a smarter way to integrate Dark events to enhance the TNT stories or take a leaf out of NWA Powerrrrr's book and do the pre-match or post-match chat off to the side. They did it the first week but only to set up an angle.

  

Ewwwww... Please no, anything but that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed some of the production gaffes and there were a few things in ring to nitpick (I think Britt looked really, really botchy and sloppy), but you know what? None of those things ever really bothered me or made me not like a wrestling show. Give me good characters, consistent storylines and a hot crowd and I'm in. Those two hours just flew by and made me want to watch next week again.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Ewwwww... Please no, anything but that.

I know, I feel dirty for even saying it. I guess this is what it feels like to be left wanting more. It's a somehow familiar yet distant sensation. I do love how the two hourly shows of AEW Dark and NWA just whet the appetite before Dynamite the next day. I was feeling gorged on wrestling after G1 but I'm ready for a steady diet now, I just hope the enthusiasm keeps steady.

Jealous of @Nice Guy Eddie, who knows when they'll make it Down Under, they're taking months to reach the mid-west...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll say this about the Britt Baker match. They spent two weeks getting Britt’s new sub over, and the fans reacted right on cue.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Custos said:

Starting with the negative: would it kill them to do some more interviews? After the DoN surprise debut, how much were people salivating to hear unscripted Mox let loose on a microphone in the middle of a rabid crowd? The twitter promos have been good (I enjoyed the camera following him into the arena last week, answering Omega's 'damaged goods' line) but we could have had something to rival Jericho's classic, feeding off the energy in the building. I know it's only week 3 of TV, but it does feel like the moment's somewhat passed for the biggest impact. Instead we get the barb wire shit, the dastardly bastard calling for moderation (the ref is clearly useless at officiating) then being left in the lurch to fight the odds against the two babyfaces.  

I cannot believe I'm on the verge of asking for a show that's longer than two hours, but there just doesn't seem to be enough time to feature current stars and introduce new ones. Or maybe there is a smarter way to integrate Dark events to enhance the TNT stories or take a leaf out of NWA Powerrrrr's book and do the pre-match or post-match chat off to the side. They did it the first week but only to set up an angle.  

  

That’s my only issue with the Cody vignette, which while great, seemed oddly timed. A video with a bunch of people talking about how much the title means to Cody and how focused he is seems like it would be better timed closer to the PPV, and not three weeks out, especially when there are people who haven’t even debuted on TV yet.

The Darby match was great until the finish, which I’m torn on. On the one hand, I liked that they had someone submit to a finisher instead of doing some shenanigans to protect the loser. On the other, they spent whole match talking about how they didn’t think Darby would give up even if he needed to, so quickly submitting to a liontamer of all things needlessly undercut him. Sure, it was after Hager interference, but that probably wasn’t even one of the top 10 bumps he took in the match. Darby would have been much more protected by Jericho following the interference up with a Judas Effect and a pin instead.

Edited by JonnyLaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...