DVDVR Message Board

The Baseball Hall of Fame Thread

LethalStriker

With it being tougher to get in the HOF via the BBWAA it's going to make the quality of Veteran ballots that much deep with talent in the future.  They need to stop doing the rotating every three years thing.   Pre-integration players shouldn't get voted on more then once every 5 years or so.  If you haven't played in MLB since 1947 and you have to be voted in you're probably not worthy.   What are these guys going to keep getting voted upon for the next 100 years or so until they finally get in and they have to have their great great great grand children accept the plaque for them?  Once you get to the veterans committee it should be 3 strikes are you're out.  If you don't get in on your 3rd veterans committee ballot then you're no longer a HOF candidate.

With it being tougher to get in the HOF via the BBWAA it's going to make the quality of Veteran ballots that much deep with talent in the future.  They need to stop doing the rotating every three years thing.   Pre-integration players shouldn't get voted on more then once every 5 years or so.  If you haven't played in MLB since 1947 and you have to be voted in you're probably not worthy.   What are these guys going to keep getting voted upon for the next 100 years or so until they finally get in and they have to have their great great great grand children accept the plaque for them?  Once you get to the veterans committee it should be 3 strikes are you're out.  If you don't get in on your 3rd veterans committee ballot then you're no longer a HOF candidate.

If you're doing that (and especially with how loaded the ballots are now), then the three strikes rule should also change the BBWAA voting rule:

If you get less than 5% of the ballot, you're ineligible to be voted in from the BBWAA for the ballot- but, after the normal  22-25 years past your career's end, you do become eligible for Veterans' Committee consideration. (However- to keep with the "3 strikes" rule: Any player who got less than 5% on the Veteran's Committee ballot starts with one strike and only get two chances to make the HOF through the committee.)

It should help keep things going as new stats/effects change people's cases for the better (and should work when the HOF closes the Expansion Era at 1973-1994 and just institutes "The PED Era" from 1995-present, just to get it over with.)

The HOF vote tracker dealie over at the former Primer has Maddux, Glavine, Thomas and Biggio all going in

But they usually have more guys than actually get in since they can only track people who reveal their ballot and usually the blank ones or the stupid ones aren't revealed until after the vote

• Like 1

I spotted this via Joe - but all the MLB.com writers and their votes

It is such a shame that Deadspin is sullying the HOF vote. Thank God - their are upstanding citizens like Ken Gurnick

KEN GURNICK, Dodgers beat reporter
Morris

Morris has flaws -- a 3.90 ERA, for example. But he gets my vote for more than a decade of ace performance that included three 20-win seasons, Cy Young Award votes in seven seasons and Most Valuable Players votes in five. As for those who played during the period of PED use, I won't vote for any of them.

FUCK YOU GREG MADDUX!!! MAYBE YOUR PARENTS SHOULD HAVE FUCKED A DECADE SOONER!!!

• Like 2

Hmm.  So let's see...

If we conservatively call the beginning of the ROID ERA~~!!!! 1988 when Caseco had his monster year - we probably should go with 87 but let's be conservative.  Maybe the roids were not appealing to other players until 1988 for whatever reason...

Morris had a 20 win season in 1992.  So clearly that does not count.  

Two of his Cy and MVP votes came in 91 and 92.  So those two do not count.

So Morris is down to 2 20 win seasons.  Five seasons with Cy votes and three seasons with MVP votes.

So...how exactly is Morris a better candidate than, say, Dave Steib?  RINGZ~!!!!????

It is such a shame that Deadspin is sullying the HOF vote. Thank God - their are upstanding citizens like Ken Gurnick

Morris

Morris has flaws -- a 3.90 ERA, for example. But he gets my vote for more than a decade of ace performance that included three 20-win seasons, Cy Young Award votes in seven seasons and Most Valuable Players votes in five. As for those who played during the period of PED use, I won't vote for any of them.

FUCK YOU GREG MADDUX!!! MAYBE YOUR PARENTS SHOULD HAVE FUCKED A DECADE SOONER!!!

I'll give him credit for being on the record about it and not hiding like a pussy. He can still go to hell though. . . wtf is with this Jack Morris love? 3.90 era from the 80's-90's is nothing to be excessively proud about.

Morris

I'll give him credit for being on the record about it and not hiding like a pussy. He can still go to hell though. . . wtf is with this Jack Morris love? 3.90 era from the 80's-90's is nothing to be excessively proud about.

So let me get this straight. Even though at no point was Maddux under any kind of suspicion of juicing, but because the hitters he faced juiced, THAT'S why he's not voting for him? If anything, give the guy two votes, since he neutralized steroids with an 87 mph fastball. 

Even if there is a moral high ground to be had here that doesn't not make this a Vote Troll.

There actually *is* a rational reason for leaving Maddux off your ballot - strategy to give a vote to someone who might drop off that doesn't deserve to or is on the brink of election. But this isn't that, it's just full-blown attention whoring.

There actually *is* a rational reason for leaving Maddux off your ballot - strategy to give a vote to someone who might drop off that doesn't deserve to or is on the brink of election. But this isn't that, it's just full-blown attention whoring.

Still not as dumb as the octogenarian who *cough cough* "accidentally" left Rickey off his ballot. 

I appreciate the fact that his reasoning is so undeniably dumb, it might cause a debate about making changes. Of course probably nothing will come of it, stupidity has never stopped the BBWAA in fact they seem to encourage it. Speaking of stupidity I voted for more than 10 players so remove 1 vote from Curt Shilling and Rafael Palmerio from the actual count.  

he voted for Lee Smith/Bert Blyleven in 2011, so apparently Lee Smith lost his HOF status and Jack Morris become a HOF since then

Lee Smith's own fault for coming out of retirement to blow that save in the 2012 World Series.

Oh.

Wait.