DVDVR Message Board

The Baseball Hall of Fame Thread

LethalStriker

I was just talking about this with Ed.

Since Maddux did not break Seaver's record - is Derek Jeter the last chance?

I think Mariano won't do it because there will be enough "Oh he was just a closer" people

And I don't think Junior will do it because to many folks will claim that "he probably did PEDs"

Big Unit was a dick so he won't do it

Pedro's career was shorter and he was a dick so not him either

Who am I spacing on?

Well, personally, I think Griffey has the best shot since he got fat, not ripped.

Other than Unit, the next guy MIGHT be Chipper in 2018.  Then Jeter.

And Mike Crudale.

Of course, now Rippa and I seeing Omar Vizquel is eligible in 2018.  And we are giggling at Joe Morgan blowing the whole thing up if Omar gets in before Dave Concepcion.

My final prediction...

Maddux, Glavine, Thomas all get in - Maddux with one of the five highest percentages ever.

Biggio breaks 70%, but falls short.

Piazza between 60-65%.

Morris under 65%.

Bonds/Clemens around 40-45%.

Mattingly under 5% and falls off.

Maddux pulled 97.2% - great number, but it's been surpassed a lot.

Biggio missed by two votes. TWO FUCKING VOTES. Embarassing.

62.2% for Piazza, 61.5% for Morris - good riddance, Jack.

Bonds had 34.7%, Clemens had 35.4% - didn't expect a drop.

Mattingly lives to see his final year on the ballot.

Re: Palmeiro. In my mind, here's the major difference between him and the other PED guys - he failed a test and was suspended after they were outlawed. 

I see that, its just weird, I know/knew the roid monkeys aren't getting in for a while(if they ever do), just seeing Raffy drop makes it more final is all. And I agree, anyone stupid/arrogant enough to still do the juice after testifying before Congress gets what's coming to him.

I was just talking about this with Ed.

Since Maddux did not break Seaver's record - is Derek Jeter the last chance?

I think Mariano won't do it because there will be enough "Oh he was just a closer" people

And I don't think Junior will do it because to many folks will claim that "he probably did PEDs"

Big Unit was a dick so he won't do it

Pedro's career was shorter and he was a dick so not him either

Who am I spacing on?

Well, personally, I think Griffey has the best shot since he got fat, not ripped.

Other than Unit, the next guy MIGHT be Chipper in 2018.  Then Jeter.

And Mike Crudale.

I agree, it OUGHT to be Jr., who the hell knows anymore.

How did Clemens receive more votes than Bonds? What the FUCK.

Congrats to Maddux, Glavine and The Big Hurt. I was a huge fan of all of them. Great to see Maddux/Glavine going in together.

I'm still pissed about Bonds. He's the greatest fucking player since Babe Ruth. Fuck.

Also, why is Piazza not in? Greatest hitting catcher of all time..  There's been NO evidence at all of PED use with him. None. Just bullshit all around.

Wonder if Maddux goes in as a Cub or Brave.  I would guess Brave since he's going in w/ Cox and Glavine, but he seems to have a good relationship with the Cubs as well.  Do you even have to still pick a team?

*edit* Would have been awesome if Smoltz was eligible this year, too

How did Clemens receive more votes than Bonds? What the FUCK.

Congrats to Maddux, Glavine and The Big Hurt. I was a huge fan of all of them. Great to see Maddux/Glavine going in together.

I'm still pissed about Bonds. He's the greatest fucking player since Babe Ruth. Fuck.

Also, why is Piazza not in? Greatest hitting catcher of all time..  There's been NO evidence at all of PED use with him. None. Just bullshit all around.

As much as I tend to side with the moralists in spirit, it is time to put those two in, fuck some of the others. I quibble only because I think Mays(and probably Aaron) have an argument over Bonds. . .great discussion to have though.

Wonder if Maddux goes in as a Cub or Brave.  I would guess Brave, but he seems to have a good relationship with the Cubs as well.  Do you even have to still pick a team?

The HOF picks for you. 

That started around the time Wade Boggs was willing to go in as a Ray (I think it might have even been part of his contract with the Rays)

There was a lot of hubbabaloo when Gary Carter went into over whether he should be a Met or Expo

well the rule was made in 2001 that the HOF 

They do solicit player input - I just found a good article from 2009 that has a lot of the answers

Speaking specifically about Winfield - from that same article

P2: Didn't Dave Winfield have more say in his cap logo?

JI: If a player's career is very evenly divided, we'll give more leeway to him. We felt Winfield showed equal ability and impact during his time in New York and San Diego -- he didn't dominate more in one than in the other. So I spoke with him and learned that the fact that he broke in with the Padres, the fact that Willie McCovey was his hero and was playing there at the time, that made him feel a strong allegiance to San Diego. That was fine with us. Same thing with Sparky Anderson -- we talked with him about Cincinnati versus Detroit and gave him some leeway. He was more comfortable with whatever we thought.

What's interesting is that the MLB network think Smotlz is a slam dunk next year, and Schilling isn't.  I guess the saves are what put him over the top, because otherwise their very close. Not that I disagree, based on gut reaction that would be my pick, which is why I'm not voting. . . 

Smoltz had the career everybody THINKS Eckersley had.  Eck was better as a reliever but Smoltz was like 10x the starter that Eck was. 

well the rule was made in 2001 that the HOF 

They do solicit player input - I just found a good article from 2009 that has a lot of the answers

Speaking specifically about Winfield - from that same article

P2: Didn't Dave Winfield have more say in his cap logo?

JI: If a player's career is very evenly divided, we'll give more leeway to him. We felt Winfield showed equal ability and impact during his time in New York and San Diego -- he didn't dominate more in one than in the other. So I spoke with him and learned that the fact that he broke in with the Padres, the fact that Willie McCovey was his hero and was playing there at the time, that made him feel a strong allegiance to San Diego. That was fine with us. Same thing with Sparky Anderson -- we talked with him about Cincinnati versus Detroit and gave him some leeway. He was more comfortable with whatever we thought.

Yeah, this is from wiki so...some salt may be needed - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Baseball_Hall_of_Fame_and_Museum#Players_and_managers_with_multiple_teams

Players and managers with multiple teams[edit]

While the text on a player's or manager's plaque lists all teams for which the inductee was a member in that specific role, inductees are depicted wearing the cap of a specific team, or, in some cases, wearing a cap without a logo. The Hall selects the logo "based on where that player makes his most indelible mark."[22]

Although the Hall always made the final decision on which logo was shown, until 2001 the Hall deferred to the wishes of players or managers whose careers were linked with multiple teams. Some examples of honorees associated with multiple teams are the following:

• Frank Robinson: Robinson chose to have the Baltimore Orioles cap displayed on his plaque, although he had played ten seasons with the Cincinnati Reds and six seasons with Baltimore. Robinson won four pennants and two World Series with the Orioles and one pennant with Cincinnati. His second World Series ring came in the 1970 World Series against the Reds. Robinson also won an MVP award while playing for each team.
  • Catfish Hunter: Hunter chose not to have any logo on his cap when elected to the Hall of Fame in 1987. Hunter had success for both the teams for which he played – the Kansas City/Oakland Athletics and the New York Yankees; during and after his career he maintained good relations with both teams and their respective owners (Charles Finley and George Steinbrenner) and did not wish to slight either team by selecting the other.
  • Nolan Ryan: Born and raised in Texas, Ryan entered the Hall in 1999 wearing a Texas Rangers cap on his plaque, although he spent only five seasons with the Rangers, while raised in the Houston area and having longer and more successful tenures with the Houston Astros (nine seasons, 1980–88 and his record-setting fifth career no-hitter) and California Angels (eight seasons, 1972–79 and the first four of his seven career no-hitters). Ryan's only championship was as a member of the New York Mets in 1969. Ryan finished his career with the Rangers, reaching his 5000th strikeout and 300th win, and throwing the last two of his no-hitters. Ryan later took ownership of the Rangers when they were sold to his Rangers Baseball Express group in 2010.
  • Reggie Jackson: Jackson chose to be depicted with a Yankees cap over an Athletics cap. As a member of the Kansas City/Oakland A's, Jackson played ten seasons (1967–75, '87), winning three World Series (197219731974) and the 1973AL MVP Award. During his five years in New York (1977–81), Jackson won two World Series (197778), with his crowning achievement occurring during Game Six of the 1977 World Series, when he hit three home runs on consecutive pitches and earned his nickname "Mr. October".
  • Carlton Fisk: Fisk went into the hall with a Boston Red Sox cap on his plaque in 2000 despite playing with the Chicago White Sox longer and posting more significant numbers with the White Sox. Fisk's choice of the Red Sox was likely because of his being a New England native, as well as his famous "Stay fair!" walk-off home run in Game Six of the 1975 World Series with which he is most associated.
  • Sparky Anderson: Also in 2000, Anderson entered the Hall with a Cincinnati Reds cap on his plaque despite managing almost twice as many seasons with the Detroit Tigers (17 in Detroit; nine in Cincinnati). He chose the Reds to honor that team's former general manager Bob Howsam, who gave him his first major-league managing job. Anderson won two World Series with the Reds and one with the Tigers.
  • Dave Winfield: Winfield had spent the most years in his career with the Yankees and had had great success there, but chose to go into the Hall as a member of the San Diego Padres due to his feud with Yankees owner George Steinbrenner.

In 2001, the Hall of Fame decided to change the policy on cap logo selection, as a result of rumors that some teams were offering compensation, such as number retirement, money, or organizational jobs, in exchange for the cap designation. (For example, though Wade Boggs denied the claims, some media reports had said that his contract with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays required him to request depiction in the Hall of Fame as a Devil Ray.)[23] The Hall decided that it would no longer defer to the inductee, though the player's wishes would be considered, when deciding on the logo to appear on the plaque. Newly elected members affected by the change include the following:

• Gary Carter: Inducted in 2003, Carter was the first player to be affected by the new policy. Carter won his only championship with the 1986 New York Mets, and wanted his induction plaque to depict him wearing a Mets cap, though he had spent twelve years (1974–84, 1992) with the Montreal Expos and five (1985–89) with the Mets. The Hall of Fame decided that Carter's impact on the Montreal franchise warranted depicting him with an Expos cap.[24]
  • Wade Boggs: Boggs's only championship was as a member of the 1996 New York Yankees, for whom he played from 1993–97, but his best career numbers were posted during his eleven years (1982–92) wearing the Boston Red Sox uniform. Boggs would eventually be depicted wearing a Boston cap for his 2005 induction.
  • Andre Dawson: Dawson's cap depicts him as a member of the Expos, his team for eleven years, despite his expressed preference to be shown as a member of the Chicago Cubs. While Dawson played only six years with the Cubs, five of his eight All-Star appearances were as a Cub, and his only MVP award came in his first year with the team in 1987.[25][26]

Disappointed to see Raffy drop off.  The guy belongs in the HOF.  But, then, so does Albert Belle.  And a whole bunch of other guys, like Clemens and Bonds.

Dude apparently had quite a major case of backne.

Wonder if Maddux goes in as a Cub or Brave.  I would guess Brave, but he seems to have a good relationship with the Cubs as well.  Do you even have to still pick a team?

The HOF picks for you. 

That started around the time Wade Boggs was willing to go in as a Ray (I think it might have even been part of his contract with the Rays)

There was a lot of hubbabaloo when Gary Carter went into over whether he should be a Met or Expo

I would be shocked if it wasn't with a Braves cap. He was an all-time great as a Cub, but he is recognized more as a Brave, and he won a World Series with them.

Plus, he was a Brave when he did the Chicks Dig the Long Ball commercial.

I would be shocked if it wasn't with a Braves cap. He was an all-time great as a Cub, but he is recognized more as a Brave, and he won a World Series with them.

Plus, he was a Brave when he did the Chicks Dig the Long Ball commercial.

One of my favorite NIKE ads