DVDVR Message Board

The Baseball Hall of Fame Thread

LethalStriker

when Smoltz gets in, the 1980s TBS viewership caucus can focus full efforts on inducting Dale Murphy again

1980s TBS viewer and life-long Braves fan here... Dale Murphy doesn't belong any more than Fred Lynn. Please, let's not re-hash this.

Wonder if Maddux goes in as a Cub or Brave.  I would guess Brave since he's going in w/ Cox and Glavine, but he seems to have a good relationship with the Cubs as well.  Do you even have to still pick a team?

This isn't even really a discussion, I would think.  He was with the Braves longer, had far more success there (3 CYAs vs 1, a world title, etc) and first got mainstream attention with Atlanta.

when Smoltz gets in, the 1980s TBS viewership caucus can focus full efforts on inducting Dale Murphy again

1980s TBS viewer and life-long Braves fan here... Dale Murphy doesn't belong any more than Fred Lynn. Please, let's not re-hash this.

Yeah, but Freddy Lynn will always be in my heart for his awesome catch during the opener to This Week in Baseball.

LeBatard should have done the honorable thing by fucking over Craig Biggio due to the actions of his contemporaries.

I'm watching Dragnet right now, so I figure the "fuck the 90s" sentiment is the BBWAA equivalent to how Dragnet 67 usually focused on hippies/radicals in every episode

Maybe Piazza's just one of those guys with a lot of Backne. I know people my age or older who have it really bad just because of genetics.

Eh, I'm not going to knock Mays or Aaron because that's crazy..  I just think Bonds is the greatest ever and for him not to be in the hall..  it's a disservice to the game.

That's a fair point, I'm frankly tired of bullshit, put him in already. . . .

Don't know if it's been reported but Dan Lebatard on his show on ESPN2 just announced that he was the voter who sold his vote to deadspin

Mentioned twice in the thread already.

----

Good old Bob McCown on the radio tonight said he didnt think Biggio or Thomas were "eyeball" HOFers.

I can see saying that about Biggio but anybody who watched Thomas from 1990-97 and DIDN'T think he was an eyeball HOFer is an idiot.  He was a righthanded Ted Williams - 40 HRs, .330 avg and 120 walks a year.  How the hell is that NOT a HOFer?

I can see saying that about Biggio but anybody who watched Thomas from 1990-97 and DIDN'T think he was an eyeball HOFer is an idiot.  He was a righthanded Ted Williams - 40 HRs, .330 avg and 120 walks a year.  How the hell is that NOT a HOFer?

I could see arguing that for Bagwell, but anyone who thinks that for Frank is an idiot. . . 

The 6 member class is the largest since 2008 and that class only had Rich Gossage as a player (it was a whole lotta executives including Bowie Kuhn... grr...)

Ignoring 2006 (when they put 20 guys from the Negro Leagues in) - you have to go back to 1999 for a larger class (7 people and a legit 7 at that - Brett, Ryan, Yount, Orlando Cepeda, etc...)

Just goes to show how old I'm getting when I look at Maddux highlights and I instinctively expect to see him pitching this year. Its hard to believe they have been retired five years, and it seems like yesterday Thomas was playing for the A's, batting DH. On the other hand, Pedro and Big Unit and Jr. seem like they've been gone forever. Perception and all that. . .

LeBatard's fellow voters are...  nonplussed.... with his decision to give his ballot to Deadspin.  

Read here for some truly cringe-inducing statements, like:

All in all, it just seems to me by undermining the process, Dan, you sold out your fellow members of the sportswriting fraternity. 

LeBatard's fellow voters are...  nonplussed.... with his decision to give his ballot to Deadspin.  

All in all, it just seems to me by undermining the process, Dan, you sold out your fellow members of the sportswriting fraternity. 

Wow, pot calling the kettle black much?

Haven't we pretty much established that the BBWAA are by and large, idiots?

Every bit as embarrassing as the old Veterans Committee was in the Frankie Frisch years. At least the Frisch cronies were paying back favors and honoring their friends. The writers are grandstanders who think it is all about them.

Grew up 2 blocks from Wrigley. I never took an ounce of pleasure watching him hit for the Sux.

Two blocks from Wrigley? How cool... Don't suppose you were in one of those apartments where you could watch the games from the upper floors? I personally can't think of anything cooler than watching a live MLB game from my bedroom window...

On another note, at least you never had to worry about Big Frank killing your team in the WS... ;-)

• Like 1

Yeah, Wilbon and Kornheiser were talking about this on PTI yesterday. According to them, the system for HOF voting is just fine. "It works," I believe was Kornheiser's quote. 

I can't even take their positions seriously anymore. I only watch PTI because of the chemistry the two of them have.