DVDVR Message Board

The Baseball Hall of Fame Thread

LethalStriker

That was Chan Ho Park.

ALL ASIANS DON'T LOOK ALIKE, PHIL.

You being ironic with your English fail here?  I'm pretty sure identical twin Asians look alike, JOE.

Sorry, you walked into one of my nitpicky gripes :)

Before anyone asks, I'll fess up to being the Kenny Rogers vote. I really enjoy his restauran.... wait, what? The knuckleballer? Aw shit.

Kenny Rogers wasn't a knuckleballer.  He was a lefty with a 94mph fastball that threw a perfect game and cheated his way to some dominant playoff performances for the Tigers in 2006.

Before anyone asks, I'll fess up to being the Kenny Rogers vote. I really enjoy his restauran.... wait, what? The knuckleballer? Aw shit.

Kenny Rogers wasn't a knuckleballer.  He was a lefty with a 94mph fastball that threw a perfect game and cheated his way to some dominant playoff performances for the Tigers in 2006.  But THE GUARDIANS HELD STRONG and the honor of and the SANCTITY of THE GAME was preserved!!!!

Sing Hey Hoo!

Sing Tony La ROOOO!

Rejoice All the World

For The Guradians are TROOOOOOO!

Sing Hey HOOOO!

Sing Tony La ROOOOOO!

Rejoice All the World

For The Guardians are TROOOOOO!!!!

Sing Hey HOOO....and so on

The board somehow ate the lat part of your post, so I added it back in!

First to have a sustained impact and showed that Japanese players can be competitive in America. If Nomo flops, I doubt Ichiro, Matsui, etc come over

Oh, please... Like a Japanese-owned team wasn't going to sign Japan's best active hitter after he expressed interest in playing in the US? 

First to have a sustained impact and showed that Japanese players can be competitive in America. If Nomo flops, I doubt Ichiro, Matsui, etc come over

Oh, please... Like a Japanese-owned team wasn't going to sign Japan's best active hitter after he expressed interest in playing in the US? 

But having said that, would Ichiro have expressed that interest if Nomo hadn't been competitive enough to show that Japanese players could thrive in the US?

Normally, Nomo would be a very, very borderline case- but considering the World Baseball Classic, Nomo's probably worth at least a Veteran's Committee look (if he can get the 5%.)

Based on the 75% standard, I guess we're putting through Maddux, Glavine and Thomas at the moment with Bonds and McGwire just outside of the 34(33.75) votes needed. And Richie Sexson.

Nomo is one of those people who should be part of an exhibit in Cooperstown, but not inducted himself.

And what sort of exhibit would that be?

But having said that, would Ichiro have expressed that interest if Nomo hadn't been competitive enough to show that Japanese players could thrive in the US?

Normally, Nomo would be a very, very borderline case- but considering the World Baseball Classic, Nomo's probably worth at least a Veteran's Committee look (if he can get the 5%.)

I sort of lean toward the idea that Japanese news media covers American baseball. I'm certain that with his ego, Ichiro wanted to play on the largest stages possible and now he's done it. The Mariners were "Japan's Team" for years and I don't need to say anything about how popular the Bankees are. Ichiro did everything he wanted to do. The only thing remaining is entrance to the HOF. I'm pretty sure Nomo or no Nomo he would have answered the Mariners call. Ichiro isn't that complex a dude. Think Rogers Hornsby or Ted Williams, he wanted to be remembered as the greatest hitter who ever lived and he's at least made a compelling argument for that.

Asian Internationalization of MLB. Nomo, Ichiro, Matsui, Park, the guys from the 60s who played for the Giants.

IIRC, the last time i was there, they had a Latin American exhibit. Dont recall one about Asia.

Oh, okay... Here I was thinking an exhibit of over-rated pitchers. My bad. ;-)

Player a has 583 hrs, .263 avg and 1414 rbis and 1626 hits. player b has 442 hrs, .236 avg and 1230 rbis and 1575 hits. I would say given the differences in era and stat inflation and a needle in his ass, if you put in player a, put in player b. Player a is Mark mcgwire, player b is Dave kingman.

Player A was the person most singly responsible for baseball's popularity resurgence post-strike. Player B wasn't.

Doesn't make up for being a one dimensional home run hitting roid monkey, at least for me. Bonds is a whole nother matter for me, based o numbers he belongs, but letting him sweat for a while doesn't bother me any. . . .

Player a has 583 hrs, .263 avg and 1414 rbis and 1626 hits. player b has 442 hrs, .236 avg and 1230 rbis and 1575 hits. I would say given the differences in era and stat inflation and a needle in his ass, if you put in player a, put in player b. Player a is Mark mcgwire, player b is Dave kingman.

No one ever bought a ticket to see Dave Kingman. Please explain why no team in baseball wanted Kingman when still in his prime and McGwire was loved by both teams he played for?

Kuetsar: If Big Mac is so one-dimensional, how come he's a respected hitting coach?

No one ever bought a ticket to see Dave Kingman. Please explain why no team in baseball wanted Kingman when still in his prime and McGwire was loved by both teams he played for?

Kuetsar: If Big Mac is so one-dimensional, how come he's a respected hitting coach?

Numbers don't lie, and no hitter with less than 2000 hits should sniff Cooperstown.