DVDVR Message Board

The Baseball Hall of Fame Thread

LethalStriker

There should be no question that Glavine has a better case than Palmeiro.  Glavine is a no-brainer first ballot HOF'er.  2 Cy Youngs, 5 20-win seaons, and 300+ career wins.  I can't fathom NOT voting for him. 

Even in the context of his times, Palmeiro's numbers stood out.  There simply aren't many guys who put up 38/100 for nine straight seasons.  And even in the steroid era, 38/100 were good numbers.

Of course, I'm the guy that thinks Albert Belle belongs in the HOF.

Someone didn't vote for Maddux...That is fucking dumb.

"But nobody can be voted in unanimously beacuse Babe Ruth wasn't even unanimous!"

We have accurately simulated the idiocy of the actual BBWAA.

Maddux will suffer the same fate as Tony Gwynn, Cal Ripken, RICKEY~!, and other slam-dunks throughout the years.  To preserve the nobody gets in unanimous tradition, somebody in the BBWAA will pick up their ballot, see Greg Maddux's name, pause, and actually say "....Nah."

Because they are, as you have said, Fucking Dumb.  And should lose their Hall of Fame vote.  But won't.

Or someone will use the sad logic that Craig Calcaterra threw out on Hardballtalk

"Fuck - this ballot is packed. I want to vote for more than 10. Hey - Maddux is a lock, he doesn't need my vote that gives me one more!"

Or someone will use the sad logic that Craig Calcaterra threw out on Hardballtalk

"Fuck - this ballot is packed. I want to vote for more than 10. Hey - Maddux is a lock, he doesn't need my vote that gives me one more!"

Imagine if enough of the idiot voters used that logic. . .Anyway, even having pitchers use PEDs, it's still much harder to get to 300 wins, relative to hitters stats. . . My ballot: Glavine,Maddux, Biggio, Raines and Thomas. I Forgot to click on Trammell.

Yeah, that annoyed me a lot.  Had to take Bagwell off just to vote for somebody, anybody in the second group.

I can edit that now. If you tell me who you throw away vote was for - I can move the vote to Bagwell

Gagne.

I'm just trying to figure out when Raffy was ever a dominant player. The guys I voted for (Thomas, Bonds, Clemens, Maddux, Glavine, Piazza) dominated the sport in the era they played.

Start with his 1999 - .324/47/148.

I'm just trying to figure out when Raffy was ever a dominant player. The guys I voted for (Thomas, Bonds, Clemens, Maddux, Glavine, Piazza) dominated the sport in the era they played.

Start with his 1999 - .324/47/148.

Manny Ramirez put up the same power numbers with more RBIs and I'm not even a big RBI guy. Garciaparra, Alomar and Jeter are all right there in OPS playing tougher positions and Pudge wins the MVP with a better average and playing catcher... 

It's a great season for Raffy but I wouldn't say it's dominant...  look at what these guys were doing in that era.

Oh, rest of ballot:

Maddux/Glavine/Bonds/Clemens/Raines/Martinez/Biggio/Bagwell/Piazza and the aforementioned Morris.

Thought long and hard about McGwire, Sosa, Walker, Schilling, Trammell and Mussina, but ultimately decided that I couldn't drop any of the above 10 for them.

Walker was especially hard, would love to see another Expo get in.

Maddux/Bonds/Clemens/Thomas/Raines/Piazza,Bagwell/Biggio/Trammell/Schilling

Yes, I left off Glavine, but this ballot is too loaded. The first 8 are unimpeachable choices for me. Trammell is at the end of his elligibility and should have been in long ago. I read of Schilling that he is the pitcher everyone thinks Jack Morris is. That, and he pitched in a tougher era, tougher ballparks, struck out more guys, walked fewer guys... oh, and was flat out better.

I went Thomas, Maddux, Glavine, Biggio, Morris, Clemens, Bonds, Martinez, McGwire, Sosa.

Maddux, Bagwell, Raines, and Piazza would also get my vote if I wasn't limited to ten.

I find it interesting if someone basically started from scratch with the HOF, went back to the first year eligible, and then had everyone one vote for players to get in for each year they've done the balloting, and see what they'd come up with.

Whoever didn't vote Maddux here should be shot.

Right now - we would have 5 guys getting inducted (at the time I am writing this 28 people voted, so a person would need at least 21 votes to reach the 75%)

One person is one vote short. One person is two votes short.

My votes: Thomas, Maddux, Biggio, Bagwell, Piazza, Raines, Schilling, Clemens, Bonds, & Trammell.

Really close on Glavine and Mussina. Schilling edged them with his superior post season play. All three are almost equals but I feel Schilling edges them with the postseason. 

305-204, 3.54(a little high admittedly), 2604 ks, vs 216-146, 3.46 and 3116 ks. Okay Schilling has roughly 500 more strikeouts and a slightly better era, but that does not make up for 100 more wins.  Glavine should be in first ballot, while  Schilling should be barely hanging on, despite the strikeouts. If you want to get in the hall with less than 275 or more wins, you had better be Koufax, and Schilling wasn't. The end the curse stuff helps, but overall he's a tad overrated. Though I will concede it's much harder to make my hall vote than others. . .

While we're at it, the rule about them only being able to vote for at most 10 is a silly rule, too.  Artificial scarcity and making it "hard to get it" just for the sake of having it hard to get in (and, with my biases, I can't help but think so they have the joy of Keeping Someone Out).

As this list illustrates, as I definitely see more than 10 Hall Of Fame Worthy candidates.