Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
The Natural

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

Recommended Posts

WWE SummerFest next week and NJPW's G1 Climax 29 comes to a climax. Jon Moxley vs. Toru Yano today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forget where I asked this before, but why hasn't WWE shown interest in Toro Yano? Okada he is not, but his character work is great, he's always entertaining as hell. I feel like he's what Vince *thinks* Nakamura is and could embrace a comedy Tajari or Kenzo Suzuki-like character. 

Also Doink was getting some love near the end of last month. Rumble 93 in Sacramento was my first live show EVER. Doink vs. Jim Powers was the opening dark match before I knew what a dark match was. I walked to my seats so confused, as this was NOT a match Sean Mooney had brought up on event center. Doink won with his awkward looking calf submission. I feel like that move was associated as his finisher for a quick minute, but don't ever recall seeing him use it on TV, and have seen it MAYBE once or twice since then, ever.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BNosanchuk said:

I forget where I asked this before, but why hasn't WWE shown interest in Toro Yano? Okada he is not, but his character work is great, he's always entertaining as hell. I feel like he's what Vince *thinks* Nakamura is and could embrace a comedy Tajari or Kenzo Suzuki-like character. 

Also Doink was getting some love near the end of last month. Rumble 93 in Sacramento was my first live show EVER. Doink vs. Jim Powers was the opening dark match before I knew what a dark match was. I walked to my seats so confused, as this was NOT a match Sean Mooney had brought up on event center. Doink won with his awkward looking calf submission. I feel like that move was associated as his finisher for a quick minute, but don't ever recall seeing him use it on TV, and have seen it MAYBE once or twice since then, ever.  

The Stump Puller, @BNosanchuk?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put some Doink squashes in the Wrestling Not From The Now thread. The Stump Puller is... strange. If he's being lazy with it it looks like crap but if he falls back and wrenches it in it's okay, if awkward. The Whoopie Cushion can be pretty brutal though. He CRUSHES Barry Horowitz with it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought heel Doink used the stump puller, face Doink used the Whoopie Cushion (which I think was Big Josh's finish in WCW so makes sense even though I know he wasn't in the face Doink role for long).

Such an odd character ahead of the curve looking back. I came up with this great backstory for him once where he was a regular goofy clown in a travelling circus and pissed off the circus shoot wrestler one night. Shooter put a hurting on Doink and completely broke him mentally and physically with the stump puller and that's why he was so unhinged. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Original heel Matt Borne as Doink is where it's at. The theme music as well 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per the new WON (and radio show) - come October, the WWE will start to enforce the brand split again (there will be some light crossover). This is because they wanted separate storylines on each show instead of storylines crossing over shows (due to Heymand and Bischoff)

They won't do a draft as the rosters as they are constructed now will be basically the ones come Oct (they will move a few guys here and there)

I am guessing the light crossover will be around the belts defending across all shows.

And as Meltzer notes - this will last until the ratings tank

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't watched the main roster shows in a bit, so if I'm wrong someone tell me, but is there any logical reason that the "wildcards" aren't just the champions? 

It seems like it would solve the problem of having 3000 belts no one cares about at least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I haven't watched the main roster shows in a bit, so if I'm wrong someone tell me, but is there any logical reason that the "wildcards" aren't just the champions? 

It seems like it would solve the problem of having 3000 belts no one cares about at least

Well one problem with that is Brock Lesnar - Vince likes Brock as champ and if you unify the Heavyweight titles and then have Brock showing up once every 3 months, you have no World Champ.

Also - the Wildcard was basically created so Roman Reigns could be on both shows.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BNosanchuk said:

I forget where I asked this before, but why hasn't WWE shown interest in Toro Yano? Okada he is not, but his character work is great, he's always entertaining as hell. I feel like he's what Vince *thinks* Nakamura is and could embrace a comedy Tajari or Kenzo Suzuki-like character. 

Also Doink was getting some love near the end of last month. Rumble 93 in Sacramento was my first live show EVER. Doink vs. Jim Powers was the opening dark match before I knew what a dark match was. I walked to my seats so confused, as this was NOT a match Sean Mooney had brought up on event center. Doink won with his awkward looking calf submission. I feel like that move was associated as his finisher for a quick minute, but don't ever recall seeing him use it on TV, and have seen it MAYBE once or twice since then, ever.  

I read this too quickly and inferred that you were suggesting that Vince hire Yano and put him in the Doink costume.

...which is the best idea I’ve heard in a long time. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BNosanchuk said:

I forget where I asked this before, but why hasn't WWE shown interest in Toro Yano? Okada he is not, but his character work is great, he's always entertaining as hell. I feel like he's what Vince *thinks* Nakamura is and could embrace a comedy Tajari or Kenzo Suzuki-like character. 

I imagine he wouldn't be interested. He's got a pretty comfy spot in NJPW, plus he has his bar to run between tours so it's not like he has much of an incentive to leave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Meltzer, El Hijo del Fantasma (fka King Cuerno) is WWE bound soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I love the guy but mannnnnnnn I hope he doesn't get lucha house party'd.

His ability speaks for itself but FUCK MAN MASCARA FUCKING DORADA IS GETTING FUCKED AS WE SPEAK FUCK

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I imagine he wouldn't be interested. He's got a pretty comfy spot in NJPW, plus he has his bar to run between tours so it's not like he has much of an incentive to leave.

Wait, he really does have a bar?  I thought that was just part of his gimmick.  Now I badly want to go to Japan to go there (among many other reasons) but would at least love to see stuff from others that have went there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Wait, he really does have a bar?  I thought that was just part of his gimmick.  Now I badly want to go to Japan to go there (among many other reasons) but would at least love to see stuff from others that have went there.

Yup! Right down the street from Tokyo Dome.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yup! Right down the street from Tokyo Dome.

 

I feel so, so much better for knowing this exists.  I have a friend who's likely going to Tokyo in January and am going to see if he's able to swing by and check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going next month. Do you think he's there flogging his DVDs in his spare time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'd rank way below Mr. Danger Steakhouse on my must visit list but I'd be so sad if I went and didn't get to meet Matsunaga and call him Matsunawa and say I was going to make chop meat out of him HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU do you know what that means?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's on the Yano DVD anyway, matches of his? Tips on how to cheat? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Various CHAOS shenanigans, usually. Yano produces DVDs of them. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "If I Go On Wrestling Pilgrimage To Japan Sightseeing List" is:

1. Ribersa Steakhouse
2. Mr. Dangerhouse
3. Yano's Bar
4. Chigusa Nagayo's Bar
5. Kawada's Ramen shop

James

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, J.H. said:

The "If I Go On Wrestling Pilgrimage To Japan Sightseeing List" is:

1. Ribersa Steakhouse
2. Mr. Dangerhouse
3. Yano's Bar
4. Chigusa Nagayo's Bar
5. Kawada's Ramen shop

James

Well, @Mr Harms if you feel so inclined here's your wrestling-related itinerary.  🙂  I would also mention they have a huge wrestling store that I believe was shown on Major Wrestling Figure's Youtube channel so that could be worth seeing as well.  I'll also let my friend know about this as while he's not a wrestling fan if I can somehow get him to consider the upcoming Wrestle Kingdom then I'd hope that this works for him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Well, @Mr Harms if you feel so inclined here's your wrestling-related itinerary.  🙂  I would also mention they have a huge wrestling store that I believe was shown on Major Wrestling Figure's Youtube channel so that could be worth seeing as well.  I'll also let my friend know about this as while he's not a wrestling fan if I can somehow get him to consider the upcoming Wrestle Kingdom then I'd hope that this works for him.

Screw that. DVDVR expects nothing less than for him to win the Ironman Heavymetalweight Championship and present it to DEAN.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

What's on the Yano DVD anyway, matches of his? Tips on how to cheat? 

Normal stuff, like:

 pcd3nim7oum01.jpg

Jado in a schoolgirl outfit and Sakuraba's orange tie, and:

 

94kot21eaw401.jpg

Adventures at the Hello Kitty store.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Well, @Mr Harms if you feel so inclined here's your wrestling-related itinerary.  🙂  I would also mention they have a huge wrestling store that I believe was shown on Major Wrestling Figure's Youtube channel so that could be worth seeing as well.  I'll also let my friend know about this as while he's not a wrestling fan if I can somehow get him to consider the upcoming Wrestle Kingdom then I'd hope that this works for him.

I'm already planning on going to the wrestling shop. The problem is how i'm gonna fit everything back in my luggage. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...